Can't get widescreen .pnach files to work
I'm playing the regular USA release, it's dubbed I believe.

Sponsored links

Looks like the patch is working perfectly fine.

IS your resolution 16:10?

If you're trying to play a 16:9 game on a 16:10 monitor, then there's going to be little black bars on the top and bottom.
Well, yes, my monitor is 16:10, and yes there are little black bars on the top and bottom. That's not what the issue here is though, are you viewing the linked screenshots i'm providing?
Ok, here's a better example. BOTH of these screenshots are with the 16:9 widescreen hack ON. 

Again, these are with the widescreen ON, and showing in the console that it's ON.

4:3
Notice the circles on the status screen are proper circles.

16:9
Now those circles are stretched, even though the widescreen mod is supposed to be working right now.
Most widescreen patches only affect the 3D environments of games, not the 2D HUD elements, which are stretched. It sucks, but it's a trade-off. So yes, circles become wide ovals, and squares become wide rectangles.

Sometimes, we CAN unstretch the HUD, but I doubt it's feasible for Tales of the Abyss.
Alright, well still. With the widescreen patch turned on, switching back and forth from 4:3 and 16:9 stretches the screen, not extends the view farther left and right, which is what the widescreen would do if it were working. Refer to Ryudo's post with the screenshots.
(03-10-2016, 06:37 PM)Devina Wrote: Looks like the patch is working perfectly fine.

IS your resolution 16:10?

If you're trying to play a 16:9 game on a 16:10 monitor, then there's going to be little black bars on the top and bottom.

The resolution is 1280x720 (or 1920x1080), both of which are 16:9. The issue isn't black bars. Didn't you notice there's absolutely no difference in my screenshots? (Before and after applying the patch).

It's the regular NTSC version btw.
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60~4.20 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super @ 6 GB | Samsung 980 1TB | Windows 10 Pro x64 (22H2)
(03-10-2016, 08:21 PM)MBAS1984 Wrote: Alright, well still. With the widescreen patch turned on, switching back and forth from 4:3 and 16:9 stretches the screen, not extends the view farther left and right, which is what the widescreen would do if it were working. Refer to Ryudo's post with the screenshots.

Yes, that's what it's supposed to do. You can't magically turn on and turn off the patch by switching aspect ratios, it's on regardless. To turn it off, you must do it via PCSX2.

(03-10-2016, 11:09 PM)Ryudo Wrote: The resolution is 1280x720 (or 1920x1080), both of which are 16:9. The issue isn't black bars. Didn't you notice there's absolutely no difference in my screenshots? (Before and after applying the patch).

It's the regular NTSC version btw.

It's impossible for that first screenshot to be accurate.
(03-11-2016, 07:41 AM)Devina Wrote: Yes, that's what it's supposed to do. You can't magically turn on and turn off the patch by switching aspect ratios, it's on regardless. To turn it off, you must do it via PCSX2.

It's impossible for that first screenshot to be accurate.

No, you're not understanding me. I'm not assuming i'm turning the widescreen patch on and off by switching aspect ratios...Why would I? I'm saying that each screenshot is with the widescreen patch ON, yet CHANGING the aspect ratio to widescreen isn't GOING widescreen, it's just stretching the 4:3 aspect.

I'm done with this thread, i'm sorry. It makes me happy to know someone is understanding what's wrong here, but you Devina, would rather assume i'm somehow misunderstanding the workings of the system, when it's clearly not doing what it's supposed to do. I was going to make a .gif, showing a proper game with it's widescreen patch on, switching from 4:3 to 16:9, and extending the view of the screen farther left and right, then one of mine, simply stretching, but not gaining a wider view, but I have a feeling i'd simply get told "Yes those black bars are supposed to be there." Or something along those lines, when that's not even the issue at hand.
Look, there IS no problem. You ARE gaining a wider view on the left and right with the widescreen patch.

This is what it looks like originally in its native 4:3 aspect ratio:

This is what it looks like stretched to 16:9 without the widescreen patch (fat characters):

This is what it looks like with the widescreen patch on in 16:9 aspect ratio (true widescreen):

It IS doing what it's supposed to do. Everything is working perfectly fine in those screenshots you posted.

You're probably confused because the widescreen patch IS on in the 4:3 screenshot in your original post (you think it's off, but it's actually on).
Luke IS too thin there and you're not supposed to see the green background in the bottom left:

http://s10.postimg.org/k4dkakvyx/Untitled3.png (your screenshot)