Can't seem to get Ratchet and Clank (2002) or any game running at 60fps
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six Core Processor
Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR 5
16 GB Ram
Windows 10 Pro X64

So, I feel like I may be driving myself crazy. And the answer may simply be "That's how it runs for everyone, even those who say it's running at 60fps" but I can not, for the life of me, seem to get this or any other games to run at a consistent 60fps.

Basically, it slows down when you'd expect. Moments where there is a bunch of characters/assets on the screen. It can drop down as low as 70-80% speed.

I've tried conceivably every PCSX2 version/recommended settings/tinkering with my own settings. And I still seem to get the same slowdowns no matter what I do, at those areas with lots of assets/characters and what not.

What's confusing me, is I'll see threads from like 2017 of people talking about the game running great at 60 fps with nowhere near specs as high as mine.

I've tried everything, including running everything at the lowest settings possible i.e. 720p, no anisotropic filtering, I've fiddled the speedhacks around every different setting from safe, to balanced, to aggressive, again, watching several different suggested settings videos, trying them all.

It just seems no matter what, I can't get those slowdown areas to stay up in a decent enough frame rate.

And perhaps the answer is simply that it's like that for everyone. And while it runs at 60fps a lot of the time, you can't do anything about the speed drops to 70-80%, everyone experiences it.

But the way I read a lot of these comments and posts and the wiki is people seemingly finding success of running it at full speed, all time time.

I'm mainly running it at PCSX2 1.6.0. I've fiddled around with just about ever GSdx plugin as well and the results just seem to always be the same.

Basically I'm looking for a definitive answer of "that's just how it is" or hopefully maybe somebody has a smoking gun answer for what the root cause is. The only thing I do seem to notice is not a lot of people seem to be using an all AMD/Radeon setup.

Anyhow, any help or suggestions would be appreciated.  Again, I've experienced basically the same performance almost irregardless of my settings, whether I try to run at 4K or 720p with just about every graphic enhance shut off.

Thanks!!

Sponsored links

that's just how it is
there are a few areas in R&C games that will bring your PC to its knees.you can still try latest dev build,
and don't use Ogl renderer since you have an AMD GPU
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(12-26-2021, 09:48 PM)jesalvein Wrote: that's just how it is
there are a few areas in R&C games that will bring your PC to its knees.you can still try latest dev build,
and don't use Ogl renderer since you have an AMD GPU

Thanks, this is pretty much what I expected, and I do indeed have Direct 3d 11 (Hardware) over Ogl.

Do you know if it would be any difference if I had a more powerful GPU/CPU, on the NVIDIA/Intel side? Or would you figure these slowdowns are going to happen pretty much irregardless of how good/what system setup you're using?

I think I'm likely just going to leave it, and hope one day the R&C Trilogy gets ported to PS5, as it did the PS3.
(12-26-2021, 09:54 PM)JamesCurtis24 Wrote: Do you know if it would be any difference if I had a more powerful GPU/CPU, on the NVIDIA/Intel side? Or would you figure these slowdowns are going to happen pretty much irregardless of how good/what system setup you're using?
For now, that wouldn't change a lot.
Quote:I think I'm likely just going to leave it, and hope one day the R&C Trilogy gets ported to PS5, as it did the PS3.
best feeling is still to play it on your ps2. i don't think they will make another remaster
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(12-26-2021, 09:59 PM)jesalvein Wrote: For now, that wouldn't change a lot.
best feeling is still to play it on your ps2. i don't think they will make another remaster

Which somewhat perplexes me. This being a flagship series somewhat, I'm a little confused as to why Sony wouldn't be interesting in porting over the trilogy. Even just porting over the PS3 Remastered trilogy.

Not sure if it's because they don't want to detract from the newer games but it strikes me as quite odd.