Can this PC run Suikoden 3?
Sorry for the vague question, but trying to run it on my secondary PC.

pentium® dual core cpu e5700 @ 3.00ghz 3.00ghz
4gb RAM
gtx550ti

EE is 95% GS is 20-25% and I'm getting 34 fps at 2x native, but it goes to 45-60 in smaller areas.

Ironically my main PC is a i3 2120 @ 3.2 ghz and runs at 60 fps x3 native at all times

Is my only solution native res?

Sponsored links

Tried original PS2 res on secondary PS, got 40 fps in areas where I used to get 34, this is strange really. The PC specs aren't that bad are they?

Edit: nevermind, decided to give up on Suikoden 3 altogether.
Its better you using you main computer i think.
(01-13-2014, 08:21 PM)YoloSwag Wrote: Sorry for the vague question, but trying to run it on my secondary PC.

pentium® dual core cpu e5700 @ 3.00ghz 3.00ghz
4gb RAM
gtx550ti

EE is 95% GS is 20-25% and I'm getting 34 fps at 2x native, but it goes to 45-60 in smaller areas.

Ironically my main PC is a i3 2120 @ 3.2 ghz and runs at 60 fps x3 native at all times

Is my only solution native res?

You cpu is what is holding you back. besides native have you tried speedhacks and/or overclocking your cpu?
Lenovo Y50-70 Gaming Laptop
Intel Core i7-4720HQ @ 2.6Ghz - 3.6Ghz Quad Core
Nvidia GTX 960M 4GB
8GB DDR3 Ram
15.6'' Full HD 1920 x 1080 IPS
Windows 10 64 Bit
---
Intel Core i5 4670 @ 3.4Ghz
Gigabyte H81M
Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB
8GB DDR 3 Ram
1TB WD Black
Windows 10 64 Bit
Phillips 23.6" 1920x1080 IPS
(01-13-2014, 08:29 PM)YoloSwag Wrote: Tried original PS2 res on secondary PS, got 40 fps in areas where I used to get 34, this is strange really. The PC specs aren't that bad are they?

Edit: nevermind, decided to give up on Suikoden 3 altogether.

Despite the high clock this processor architecture is old and it's performance is far bellow that of a newer processor even it running around half that clock rate.

This is due to how many instructions a processor can perform in determined number of clock cycles.

Edit: Still that processor might be sufficient to run some less demanding games (yes, is the game which dictates the minimal requisite very like happens in PC) with heavy application of speed hacks. But I fear there is not much to be done for the demanding games other than upgrading the machine.
Imagination is where we are truly real
(01-13-2014, 08:21 PM)YoloSwag Wrote: pentium® dual core cpu e5700 @ 3.00ghz 3.00ghz
4gb RAM
gtx550ti

[...]

This is a typical example to show that GHz are not everything. The i3 is advanced in computational power even if it has almost the same GHz.

The E5700 only has SSSE3 for example. The i3 can work with SSE4.1 as well as AVX.
There is a common misunderstanding with respect to instruction sets and or APIs. Newer versions might increase performance by means of fusing simpler instructions, like happened with the "multiply and add" which is a common enough function to grant special hardware to do the operation in one instruction and fewer steps.

Still to benefit from the newer instruction set the target software might need to make use of the newer functions, otherwise it will just continue using the code it already used and no immediate gain in performance comes from it (other than the whole newer processor architecture and speed itself brings on).

Besides a newer instruction set might just make possible to have more complex effects and in this case using them might mean loss of performance for the sake of greater complexity (in the case of graphics this might translate in enhanced visual appeal).

What is meant is, more advanced API or instruction set does not necessarily mean increased performance, sometimes trying to use the newer effects might be more demanding on the machine and so, performance hog.

Now, PCSX2 evolves around using whatever newer resource from newest APIs able to increase general performance, then is not uncommon to see emulator's performance gain from it, although that gain is not something astounding most of the times. This is specially true in the graphics department. As the development goes you'll be seeing better and/or more accurate graphics but slightly increased demand on the machine as well.

Edit: In less words, a program/game using only instructions from the SSE2 set will get small or no benefit from a processor able to SSE4.1, most PC games target broad range of machines and will not use code which would fail to run in older but still commonly used machines. PCSX2 can have the luxury to develop different plugins to fit whatever machine out there... just remember it is not the general case for commercial games/applications.
Imagination is where we are truly real