Champions of Norrath / PCSX2 setup
So I've been checking a few threads and I think I more or less have all the settings right but I still have a couple of questions as I don't feel like I'm getting optimal (as optimal as this game can get) performance.

My computer is fast enough and I know it, so that's not really the problem. i7 2600k, 16gb ram, GTX 560ti, SSD, Windows 7 64bit. I also have the 4gb patch applied but it didn't really do anything.

Right now my fps in fights is ~35, sometimes it'll go down to 30 with a bunch of stuff going on. Running around its usually 45 or so, and sitting idle somewhere I get 65.

Right now I'm running the latest stable build which should be 1.2.1. For the plugin selection what should I be using for GSdx, I don't know what the difference is between AVX, SSE2, SSE41, SSSE3. Right now I'm using SSE41 MSVC 18.00. Why only 3 extra rendering threads, it lets me choose up to 16 and I feel like its making a slight difference. Interlacing: Auto // Renderer: 3D11 Software. I have the speedhacks enabled and all set to recommended including MTVU turned on. What about the sound emulation, will any of those settings speed it up at all? Don't want to go screwing with too many settings without knowing what I'm doing with it.

Sponsored links

(02-24-2014, 05:15 AM)HammerHand Wrote: So I've been checking a few threads and I think I more or less have all the settings right but I still have a couple of questions as I don't feel like I'm getting optimal (as optimal as this game can get) performance.

My computer is fast enough and I know it, so that's not really the problem. i7 2600k, 16gb ram, GTX 560ti, SSD, Windows 7 64bit. I also have the 4gb patch applied but it didn't really do anything.

Right now my fps in fights is ~35, sometimes it'll go down to 30 with a bunch of stuff going on. Running around its usually 45 or so, and sitting idle somewhere I get 65.

Right now I'm running the latest stable build which should be 1.2.1. For the plugin selection what should I be using for GSdx, I don't know what the difference is between AVX, SSE2, SSE41, SSSE3. Right now I'm using SSE41 MSVC 18.00. Why only 3 extra rendering threads, it lets me choose up to 16 and I feel like its making a slight difference. Interlacing: Auto // Renderer: 3D11 Software. I have the speedhacks enabled and all set to recommended including MTVU turned on. What about the sound emulation, will any of those settings speed it up at all? Don't want to go screwing with too many settings without knowing what I'm doing with it.

The 4GB patch stops the game from crashing.

AVX should be the best option there.

How high did you go with the speedhack sliders?

You could try with 7 Extra rendering threads.

You CPU only has 8 threads in total and PCSX2 uses one by default so 1+7 = 8

The thing is 4 of those threads are HyperThreads with don't bring much speedup to PCSX2

I do agree though that you system should be fast enough.
Lenovo Y50-70 Gaming Laptop
Intel Core i7-4720HQ @ 2.6Ghz - 3.6Ghz Quad Core
Nvidia GTX 960M 4GB
8GB DDR3 Ram
15.6'' Full HD 1920 x 1080 IPS
Windows 10 64 Bit
---
Intel Core i5 4670 @ 3.4Ghz
Gigabyte H81M
Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB
8GB DDR 3 Ram
1TB WD Black
Windows 10 64 Bit
Phillips 23.6" 1920x1080 IPS
For the speedhack sliders I have EE Cyclerate: 1, VU Cycle Stealing: 0. I didn't know what they did so I left them where they were.

Thanks for the assistance, would really love to be able to play this on my PC. I do have access to a backwards compatible PS3 at my place, but I would still prefer to be able to play this on my PC. Do we have any idea when they'll have hardware working for Snowblind games, or if it's even possible?
sounds quite complicated ATM.
better keep playing this on your PS2 to enjoy the game properly.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
Multi-threading stops being faster when the idling time of each thread and communication between those is larger than the actual computation time. Therefore increasing the thread number to infinity would reduce the fps again. It probably depends on the game ans machine. I think you would not benefit from 7 extra threads. Also it is nice to keep always one thread for the system. But between 3 and 7 you have to find the best.

The sliders can reduce the load. Just increase one of the sliders slightly and compare fps. But be careful since Cycle stealing creates false (higher) fps-reads so you have to compare by running around if the game is in running in fullspeed.

Are you using the disk or an iso?
I have made an ISO for all of the games I have because I'm using an SSD, didn't make sense to go through the CD-ROM drive since that will always be slower. I've reduced the threads to 7 for now, so I'll see what works better for that if anything. I did turn the sound emulation off and that actually made a pretty significant difference as I'm seeing 45-50fps in fights now and 65-70 running around. I'll see what I can make happen with the speedhacks then since that seems to be about the only thing left for me to tweak. If I can't get it to run at least half-ways decent (for my liking, I'm kinda picky) then I guess I'll just have to keep playing on the PS3 and hope there's a fix that lets us use hardware (finally!). Again, thanks for the help guys.
TBH i'd change your extra rendering threads to 3, i don't think there's any advantage in most games having more than the number of physical cores you have less one. There are a few isolated games which benefit from even more, but not many.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(02-24-2014, 05:59 PM)refraction Wrote: TBH i'd change your extra rendering threads to 3, i don't think there's any advantage in most games having more than the number of physical cores you have less one. There are a few isolated games which benefit from even more, but not many.

Yeah from what I've seen the only games that benefit from more than 3 extra threads are the ones that stress the cpu very little and this game is not one of them.

So I think 3 will be optimal.
Lenovo Y50-70 Gaming Laptop
Intel Core i7-4720HQ @ 2.6Ghz - 3.6Ghz Quad Core
Nvidia GTX 960M 4GB
8GB DDR3 Ram
15.6'' Full HD 1920 x 1080 IPS
Windows 10 64 Bit
---
Intel Core i5 4670 @ 3.4Ghz
Gigabyte H81M
Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB
8GB DDR 3 Ram
1TB WD Black
Windows 10 64 Bit
Phillips 23.6" 1920x1080 IPS
Champions and the rest of the Snow Blind engine games just hit the CPU really hard and I get slow downs as low as 20fps on my i5 3570K oced to 4ghz with 3 rendering threads. These games are just brutal all around on the emulator.
Yeah it's a shame Sad that it couldn't run any better than what you're getting. Same goes to Baldur's Gate on Dolphin :/
Intel i5 3470 3.20Ghz, HD 7850 2GB, 8GB RAM, Z77, 1TB HDD