Champions of Norrath running very slow on PCSX2
So, this is my first time ever running this emulator, and this is the first game ive ever ran, and the first time posting here (greetings everyone). 
As it turns out, this emulator is not exactly giving the best impressions so far  Smile

Running .2138 nightly build, on an intel 4790k / GTX 1070
standard emulator settings, nothing really has been fiddled with. OpenGL selected by default and 16:9 AR with widescreen patch also applied. 4x native and 6x native resolutions - both seem to perform about equally, though 4x is noticeably faster, but still slow. Game really chuggs in the underground areas from act 1. Something like 10 fps.
tried both avx2 and standard executables, and avx2 seems just a little faster.

really puzzled as to this performance

Sponsored links

did you enable fast invalidation hw hack ?
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
What version are you using (NTSC or PAL)? Turning the EE cycle skipping slider all the way up will trigger the switch to the 30 fps mode.
Assuming that you are using Windows, try this version of pcsx2.

Go into "Config" > "Graphics Settings", have "Enable HW Hacks" set,
go into "Advanced Settings and Hacks" and set "Fast Texture Invalidation".
Go into "Config" > "General Settings" > "Speedhacks" and set "EE Cyclerate" to 2 and "EE Cycle Skipping" to 3.
why that version specifically and not the latest? There's no reason why that one should be better.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Newer builds lack the third level of cycle skipping. But there is a way to force the 30 fps mode without speedhack, I need to know the version though.
unfortunately none of these solutions actually fix the problem.
this is atrocious,
i expected this ps2 emulator to be much more refined. after all, this is the only real emulator for the entire system, which the entire world is expected to use. i think we deserve better.
this emulator has also been in development for ages. its pretty disappointing considering the supposed popularity of this system. but overall, im beginning to consider it as a mistake. everything. the playstations effect on the entire market and everything which goes along with it.
(12-19-2021, 07:15 PM)and0r Wrote: unfortunately none of these solutions actually fix the problem.
this is atrocious,
i expected this ps2 emulator to be much more refined. after all, this is the only real emulator for the entire system, which the entire world is expected to use. i think we deserve better.
this emulator has also been in development for ages. its pretty disappointing considering the supposed popularity of this system. but overall, im beginning to consider it as a mistake. everything. the playstations effect on the entire market and everything which goes along with it.

I guess you're right.
Back to your real PS2 console, then.
Smile 
(12-19-2021, 07:58 PM)jesalvein Wrote: I guess you're right.
Back to your real PS2 console, then.

i truly dont wish to offend, but ive never been impressed by this system, nor any other home consoles. so your suggestion personally seems a bit misguided to me.
however i do expect better effort in emulators designed for something expected to be used by a potential of millions of people.

if the internet itself can be considered a community of the people, than this contribution to the people would then also be considered offensive.  
and please, dont hesitate to discuss any philosophical concerns you may have with anything. such as, perhaps cost, because i can assure you such things matter very little.
this is unacceptable. the developers do have a responsibility to us all, and not everything is dictated by money. especially here where open source contributions are a major backbone in technology and the internet itself. perhaps the developers of this emulator would better fair with privileges of open sourced technology they personally rely on being revoked?  if you so choose to be philosophical in all this Smile
(12-19-2021, 09:48 PM)and0r Wrote: i truly dont wish to offend, but ive never been impressed by this system, nor any other home consoles. so your suggestion personally seems a bit misguided to me.
however i do expect better effort in emulators designed for something expected to be used by a potential of millions of people.

if the internet itself can be considered a community of the people, than this contribution to the people would then also be considered offensive.  
and please, dont hesitate to discuss any philosophical concerns you may have with anything. such as, perhaps cost, because i can assure you such things matter very little.
this is unacceptable. the developers do have a responsibility to us all, and not everything is dictated by money. especially here where open source contributions are a major backbone in technology and the internet itself. perhaps the developers of this emulator would better fair with privileges of open sourced technology they personally rely on being revoked?  if you so choose to be philosophical in all this Smile

No, i actually think this emu won't satisfy your needs. whatever happens next. that's why i suggest you keep playing your games on your PS2. it'll be better for you.
Or maybe, you can contribute to the project. we always need talented devs to imrove things.

Keep in mind this is something devs do on their free time. they don't earn anything by working on this project.
so, when you say
Quote:this is unacceptable.the developers do have a responsibility to us all
Quote:i think we deserve better.

i think the best answer to this is : do it yourself