Cheap computer suggestions
(05-07-2020, 04:12 AM)hallda12 Wrote: You will see a lot of these ex buisness machines flying around eBay. I was very close to buying the small form factor HP Prodesk as it would have looked very neat next to my tv. I then realised that Your limited to what you can add she to the size and lower restrictions. It’s a shame because you can get an i5 6th at 3.8ghz for around £105

Just remember if you want to upscale you probably need a gpu and thus requiring a better psu. The gtx 750ti or anything around that performance is recommended
Alright thanks

Sponsored links

Also... AMD's openGL support sucks.. stick with nvidia for the video card. Just superior support for the video plugins that work best in PCSX2.

Thats why I recommended a desktop vs. a sff pc.. you can upgrade the psu and the video card
amd tr 1950x                                                 amd ryzen 5 2500u
asrock x399 taichi                                         amd vega 8 
XFX Radeon rx570                                       16gb ddr 4 2400 ram
32gb gskill ddr4-3200                                   1tb nvme ssd
Debian Bullseye                                           480gb sata ssd
Custom loop water cooled                           HP envy x360
nzxt 340 case
(05-07-2020, 02:56 PM)scythefwd Wrote: Also... AMD's openGL support sucks.. stick with nvidia for the video card.  Just superior support for the video plugins that work best in PCSX2.

Thats why I recommended a desktop vs. a sff pc.. you can upgrade the psu and the video card
Do you think that PCSX2 will need better specs in the future?
Not so much.. but components fail, most cheap computers use integrated graphics, so you'll want to upgrade your video card right off.. which can quite frequently require a psu upgrade... Full size video cards are a LOT easier to find than half height, which is used in a lot of small form factor systems. Same with the small form factor psu's.. just thinking parts availability.
amd tr 1950x                                                 amd ryzen 5 2500u
asrock x399 taichi                                         amd vega 8 
XFX Radeon rx570                                       16gb ddr 4 2400 ram
32gb gskill ddr4-3200                                   1tb nvme ssd
Debian Bullseye                                           480gb sata ssd
Custom loop water cooled                           HP envy x360
nzxt 340 case
Be careful with those mass manufactured pre-built business PC's from Dell and such. Most times the proprietary mainboards and even PSU's can severely limit what gfx cards you can put in them. It isn't just size constraints either. Some of the mainboards won't even except gfx cards that are more recent than the year the PC itself was manufactured due to their bios. Even if the bios is the culprit updating to a newer bios won't guarantee newer gfx card compatibility. Even something like an Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050. The PSU issue can be mitigated by buying a 24 pin to 14 pin adapter for example so you can purchase a retail PSU to use in the PC. Even with that you are taking a chance of burning out your mainboard and/or PSU if the adapter was cheaply made or something like that. Just a word of warning from someone that took the used PC route to create a dedicated PCSX2 emulation PC as well.
PC: Intel i7 6700
       16 GB DDR4 2400 RAM
       ASUS Phoenix GTX 1660 SUPER OC
I'm surprised no one mentioned about building your own PC. It's much cheaper than buying a pre-built PC, new or used. With a $500 budget, you can get an AMD Ryzen CPU and a NVidia GPU. Make sure you don't cheap out on the PSU though as you could lose your components to a power failure. When looking for a CPU, I recommend you look for an STR (single-thread rating) of at least 2100. As for the GPU, go for NVidia. You can look at GPUs here.
PC Specs:
PC: HP Omen 15 dc-0051nr laptop
CPU: Intel i7-8750H (2.2 GHz up to 4.1 GHz)
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 Notebook (6 GB)
Storage: 256 SSD PCi NV M.2+1 TB HDD
Need the latest GIT/development build? Click here!