Cheat-making for dummies!
(just one of those for dummies things like Windows Xp for dummies, etc.)

final update: This guide has become irrelevant as of the 38xx beta. phaste no longer works, look for another guide by me later.

MAKE SURE YOUR PCSX2 IS CALLED PCSX2.exe (pcsx2.exe, the exe name has to be lowercase)
I Was finding these codes as I was writing the guide, these are NOT pre-found codes

This guide is only for Windows users, using wine on linux, or crossover on Mac MIGHT work, but I have not tested it.

things needed:
Phaste 1.20 Get it here
Pcsx2. You'll need an older revision, or the old beta, recient builds have broken phaste compatability, it's known. Air said it was going to be worked on
Windows Calculator (yep, it actually has a use, to convert hex and dec. into the other)
Patience

This template:

Code:
gametitle=
comment=
patch=1,EE,LOCATION,word,VALUE

QUICK NOTE: On Vista/Windows 7 you might have to run Phaste as administrator.
For this tutorial I will be using The Bouncer. I will be getting an Infinate BP code for 1 character in "The Bouncer"
So let's begin:

This code will be for Infinate BP for "Kou Leifoh" (This guide assumes NEW GAME no save data, if you have data adjust yours accordingly. This also works with the other chars as well.)

1: The fist thing you're going to do is open PCSX2 and run your game.
THE GAME MUST BE RUNNING. if you snap pcsx2 with no game running it WILL fail
Next, Open Phaste and click [Snap pcsx2]. If this works you should see alot of hex in the first window, and
the bar above "SearchList Clear" will be filled, and it will say "Success! BaseAddress:xxxxxxxx" :

From the Readme:
Code:
search of [FF13579C] .. Hex (MAX4Byte)
search of [S99     ] .. Dec (1BYTE 00-FF(255))
search of [M9999   ] .. Dec (2BYTE 0000-FFFF(65535))
search of [L9999999] .. Dec (4BYTE 00000000-FFFFFFFF(4294967295))
search of [$Hello  ] .. String (MAX255char)
search of [T5.0    ] .. Float

2:The next thing you will want to do is start your game as normal, Wether from a save or not does not matter, just open it like you were playing it.

3:load up the first stage.
Each character starts off with 0 BP so that's the easy part, find 0s. Since we know that it will get higher than 255 so we'll use a 2byte code so in box type M0 and hit Param Search (if not, use s** (for short values) )

4:After the first stage I had 191 BP, so in Param search we will enter M191 and hit enter. This produces 802 hits, or possibilities if you will.

5:Now we'll either buy something, or go to the next stage. I'll go to the next stage, since at this point I do not have enough points to buy anything.

6:ok.. stage 3.. (oops, hit the wrong character lol) now I have 351 BP so again we'll search and now we'll go for M351 and get 0 results.. not to fear, we'll just clear it and start at 351 this time. since 351 was my new base, I didn't grab a screenshot. but I bought a skill and had 31 left over, so I went to the next mission, hit M31 and got this!:

7Voila! we have our location: 003DC068 "001F"

8:now let's create a patch (refer below on how to make one)

Code:
gametitle= The Bouncer [NTSC U/C]
comment= Kou BP
patch=1,EE,003DC068,word,VALUE  //value must be written out in 4byte form (in the scope of how phaste describes it) and any value will work here I'm just going to go with max "0000FFFF" though I could easily go lower and it will still work fine.

Now we need our CRC and we're good to go.

looking at the emulog.txt file we see this line: "loadElfFile: cdrom0:\SLUS_200.69;1; CRC = FEE23E8F"

now that we have our CRC we're ready to make our patch:

There are a few guides on this already, but I will give a quick one:

First open the console on Pcsx2, and run the game. The CRC will appear both in the title of the wndow and later on inside it: (I had a log for a previos version more handy, this is not the same game)

Code:
* PCSX2 *: ExecuteBios Complete
PCSX2 v0.9.5 <OLD VERSION
ExecuteBios Complete
loadElfFile: cdrom0:\SLUS_216.72;1
loadElfFile: 2625152
addr 15388 "rom0:OSDSYS" -> "cdrom0:\SLUS_216.72;1"
addr 15b00 "rom0:OSDSYS" -> "cdrom0:\SLUS_216.72;1"
addr 215d8 "rom0:OSDSYS" -> "cdrom0:\SLUS_216.72;1"
addr 90780 "rom0:OSDSYS" -> "cdrom0:\SLUS_216.72;1"
loadElfFile: cdrom0:\SLUS_216.72;1; CRC = A46E2D44
Next you open notepad and create the actual patch
9:And lastly you put the patch in the cheats, not patches, folder

Now back to the tutorial example. You need 3 things:

The template above, the CRC of the game you are patching (The Bouncer has this CRC: FEE23E8F), and the values which you're entering in 256bit form (that ranges from 0 to 4,228,250,625 or 00000000 to FFFFFFFF in Hex)

Now you need to open Notepad (or any other PLAIN text program) and enter the following:

Code:
gametitle= The Bouncer [NTSC U/C]
comment= Kou BP
patch=1,EE,003DC068,word,0000FFFF

ok, now this Is where the CRC comes in. After entering the code you must now save it in the format: "GAMECRC.pnach" (again, in the case it's "FEE23E8F.pnach" (If you make them the same way I do, and edit the name/extention after, you can simply click OK and ignore the warning)

This now file goes into "%program files%\Pcsx2\cheats" or "%program files (x86)%\Pcsx2\cheats" for the 64bit users (XP users can select "Start -> Run" and enter the above lines directly, Vista users can either search out run in Windows search or inside of "Start > All Programs > Accessories > run"
Note also you can manually find the folder too, these are merely shortcuts
This location on my PC leads to "C:\Program Files\Pcsx2\Cheats" (your root drive may be different, and your pcsx2 folder may be different, but this is default in the installer, adjust yours in the same way)

10:Now open Pcsx2 again and enable your patch, you do this by going to "File > Enable Cheats" (you no longer NEED the console at this point, it is your option at this point to close it or not)
After doing that, run your game and continue as normal (if you didn't save, the smart thing to do, then smply start over again as you did before making the patch) This is the completed patch running on my game:

If your save says "Corrupted" reset and disable the patch then hit esc and enable it then. THEN hit execute and contine normally (this happens with Final Fantasy 12, so I thought I should point this out. I removed this game from the tutorial, but I leave this warning intact)

If it worked the effects will be immediate, if not, time to fix your patch.

I have attached the made patch here, you may use mine as a refference, or if you own this game, you can use it on yours

.pnach   FEE23E8F.pnach (Size: 91 bytes / Downloads: 1.113)

NOTE: IT MAY TAKE YOU LONGER TO FIND YOUR CHEAT THAN I TOOK, JUST KEEP SEARCHING TILL YOU FIND IT

Sponsored links

4/13/2009: Complete Rewrite of guide to make it easier, removed chocobo code, used new game instead
4/15/2009: Added pictures in order to the bottom of the thread, for when my bandwidth has reached its limit
4/20/2009: Edited and reattached pictures as thumbnails (bositman helped)
5/15/2009: Added more information for Vista users
5/17/2009: Relabeled the steps, finally
9/22/2009: Added yet more information. something I thought would be obvious apparently is not.
6/1/2010: Last bit of information added, hopefully my final edit
7/14/2010: Directories updated, typos fixed, aparently not final yet
10/8/2010: Update for 0.9.7 beta finalized
I have only one question...how exactly this program is better for searching cheats than the pcsx2 build in cheating feature?

BTW if you remember that I told you before about making "enemy to fight" in Tales of the Abyss.I find the cheat just now Smile and I'm really happy about is since I can fight whatever enemy I want as many times as I want Smile
because it doesn't make you stop the emulation and wait for pcsx2 to load it, and the possibity that pcsx will crash before it's found it, is higher than using this method.

this program has been around for a long time too.
congrats on the enemy code too
did a complete rewrite, hope this helps better than my last stupid one
it didnĀ“t work for me! cant click on snap PCSX2
make sure you have pcsx2 running a game already Smile
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5200 OC to 3.6GHz, Intel GMA x4500, 1GB DDR2

NinjaMight just work on next guideNinja
Used the attachments as thumbnails to improve the way the guide looks. Also Saiki you might want to make the steps more discrete like using steps or something similar
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(04-20-2009, 12:47 PM)Bositman Wrote: Used the attachments as thumbnails to improve the way the guide looks. Also Saiki you might want to make the steps more discrete like using steps or something similar
thanks.

and I did put it in steps, I just happened to find it quickly
cant snap to pcsx2 tried loads of time