Cheat (pnach) format
Hello,

I fully understand the format of pnach files. However, I feel it is a pain that you need to convert the cheat codes every time to RAW, and then from there to PCSX2 format by hand (not to mention the possibly unsupported cheats issues). Wouldn't it be better if the pnach file (or another file), accept encrypted/unencrypted codes and then convert it on they fly with every run in memory? There are already open-source tools for the conversion part. Of course we just need to state the input cheat code format before each cheat (or maybe have different file extensions for different cheats, probably this is bad). It is easier than going through possibly two converters. In any case, I can live with the current approach, it is just it would be too much easier (improvement).

Also, can I know what is the motive for using CRC instead of for example (SLUS/SLES/..etc). The later is easier to determine when searching, and you can always map the CRC to them if needed (and maybe you already do that). Not that it changes much, just want to know why use own CRC and not release code.

Finally, could we please have a unified place for all cheats. I saw the thread for cheats, but it requires forum search/copy/past/rename. Would be better if there is a way to submit it to a unified and searchable database (the file itself), so that it is a bit automated. Or maybe, have a zip file by game letter/code or whatever categorization method that is updated centrally, or through automated system. If there is such thing, then above two points might be overlooked.

Other than this, I am quite happy about the cheat support. Thanks!

Sponsored links

(06-26-2013, 09:56 AM)tria Wrote: Hello,

I fully understand the format of pnach files. However, I feel it is a pain that you need to convert the cheat codes every time to RAW, and then from there to PCSX2 format by hand (not to mention the possibly unsupported cheats issues). Wouldn't it be better if the pnach file (or another file), accept encrypted/unencrypted codes and then convert it on they fly with every run in memory? There are already open-source tools for the conversion part. Of course we just need to state the input cheat code format before each cheat (or maybe have different file extensions for different cheats, probably this is bad). It is easier than going through possibly two converters. In any case, I can live with the current approach, it is just it would be too much easier (improvement).

Also, can I know what is the motive for using CRC instead of for example (SLUS/SLES/..etc). The later is easier to determine when searching, and you can always map the CRC to them if needed (and maybe you already do that). Not that it changes much, just want to know why use own CRC and not release code.

Finally, could we please have a unified place for all cheats. I saw the thread for cheats, but it requires forum search/copy/past/rename. Would be better if there is a way to submit it to a unified and searchable database (the file itself), so that it is a bit automated. Or maybe, have a zip file by game letter/code or whatever categorization method that is updated centrally, or through automated system. If there is such thing, then above two points might be overlooked.

Other than this, I am quite happy about the cheat support. Thanks!

Well there is already a similar thing going with the widescreen patches, and that is going over fairly well. As for cheats? I'm not sure if there is any database here (anyone who knows otherwise correct me Tongue2).

Personally I use Code Breaker which is basically the lazy approach:

1) Select the browse for your Code Breaker ISO (assuming you LEGALLY OWN IT), and then browse for your game in the menus and select the cheats.
2) Next press ESC which suspends PCSX2, and then load the game you want, and then press a few buttons (on screen) allowing the cheat device to work its magic.
3) Cheat!

I'm sure that there are other ways to do it, but I had that and to my surprise it works.

Screenshots:
[Image: oVx8uFX.jpg]
[Image: dXAh6dX.jpg]
[Image: uyELMc6.jpg]

However the gaming gods were not happy and screwed up the map (I probably went overboard):
[Image: t8zo3Mo.jpg]
Scootaloo and if there are no codes in the codebreaker database file for your game,then what do you do...manually pressing buttons one by one to add cheats to the database?

Isn't it easier to just open notepad and paste the codes.
Not to mention that my converting tool can do a lot of the work you don't want to waste your time with...decrypting,converting to pnach,saving,loading cheats,see each .pnach file for what game it is,see the cheats for that game in the pnach file and many more
(06-26-2013, 10:20 AM)vsub Wrote: Scootaloo and if there are no codes in the codebreaker database file for your game,then what do you do...manually pressing buttons one by one to add cheats to the database?

Isn't it easier to just open notepad and paste the codes.
Not to mention that my converting tool can do a lot of the work you don't want to waste your time with...decrypting,converting to pnach,saving,loading cheats,see each .pnach file for what game it is,see the cheats for that game in the pnach file and many more

Comparing a modern program that is clearly more up-to-date to an old third-party cheating device isn't exactly a fair fight now is it?

I only mention Code Breaker, because it is easy to use within PCSX2 (if you happen to have it). I'm almost positive the OP doesn't have it, so they can just as well use your tool. I do have a question for you though, is it alright if I PM you?
(06-26-2013, 10:35 AM)Scootaloo Wrote: I do have a question for you though, is it alright if I PM you?

Ok
Scootaloo, thanks for bringing Code Breaker to my attention. Although it might not have all the codes as vsub noted, I believe your post was originally addressing the "centralized database of cheats" of my post, which is correct. Wouldn't it be great if we have continuously updated database with all the cheats in one place like what Code Breaker did in the past?
That last part of my post was a suggestion rather than a query for such thing, and the only way to achieve this is to have an automated system, where all people are contributing to.

vsub, I was using your OmniConverter, though didn't know about your Multi Converter up until you posted Smile
While your recent tool is easy enough to convert codes, there are still places for improvements. Wouldn't it be better if your tool was part of the emulator, and implicitly convert the different system cheat codes on the fly? You copy a cheat from a site right into the cheat file and you are done. It runs without needing an external tool along with PCSX2.
Couldn't you contribute to a fork of the emulator, where you read own cheat file (e.g. ".cheat"), and convert it on they fly to (.pnach) before the game load? The .cheat file (or whatever extension) hold the codes without any conversions (copy/paste), and using a flag before a group of cheats (e.g. type=1, type=2 ..) so you can identify the type of cheats below it.
By the way, there is nothing wrong in the current tool you created, in fact, it is a fantastic tool that I will start using from now on! So big thanks to you.
(06-26-2013, 04:53 PM)tria Wrote: vsub, I was using your OmniConverter, though didn't know about your Multi Converter up until you posted Smile

OmniConverter is not my program,I just use it through my program Multi Converter...Irfan View is also not my program but I use it through Multi Converter to create preview for the save states.

(06-26-2013, 04:53 PM)tria Wrote: While your recent tool is easy enough to convert codes, there are still places for improvements.

Well I welcome any request but the question is,will they be possible to be added to the program(not everything can)

(06-26-2013, 04:53 PM)tria Wrote: Wouldn't it be better if your tool was part of the emulator
That's impossible...it written by completely different language.

(06-26-2013, 04:53 PM)tria Wrote: and implicitly convert the different system cheat codes on the fly?
As far as I know,there is no such program that can recognize the encryption type of the codes and then convert them to raw.
If you know of such tool,I can easily integrate it into Multi Converter.

(06-26-2013, 04:53 PM)tria Wrote: You copy a cheat from a site right into the cheat file and you are done.
As I said,not possible...the program mist know the encryption to be able to convert the codes to raw and then to pnach.

(06-26-2013, 04:53 PM)tria Wrote: Couldn't you contribute to a fork of the emulator, where you read own cheat file (e.g. ".cheat"), and convert it on they fly to (.pnach) before the game load?
I'm going to repeat myself
Quote:As I said,not possible...the program mist know the encryption to be able to convert the codes to raw and then to pnach.

There is also the problem of the text formatting when you copy the codes from the site(omniconverter deals with that problem but I'm not sure he can deal with everything)

(06-26-2013, 04:53 PM)tria Wrote: The .cheat file (or whatever extension) hold the codes without any conversions (copy/paste), and using a flag before a group of cheats (e.g. type=1, type=2 ..) so you can identify the type of cheats below it.
My converter also support dropping text file with codes but the problem again is...if the converted don't know how the codes are encrypted,he can't produce working codes.

I don't know what so hard to just copy=>paste or drag-drop and click on few buttons

The program also have "Send" function which automatically convert raw codes to pnach,save the а file with the current running game crc and title and also enable the codes.