Cheats in 0.9.7.3113
Hello all,

I'm new to PCSX2, but am loving it.

I'm playing FFX and am trying to put a few wee cheats in. I've had a good look in google and on this forum but haven't found an answer.

I think I have created the .pnach file correctly but, to be honest, I can't get the emulator to recognise it.

I get the following error:
[wx] can't open file 'cheats\bb3d833a.pnach' (error 2: the system cannot find the file specified.)

I have the cheats folder with the bb3d833a.pnach file inside in the root of the PCSX2 folder, where you'd find Docs etc.

I've copied this folder to my documents just to be sure and cheats and patches are enabled in the settings.

Other than that, it runs perfectly.

Any ideas why the emulator returns that error and what I can do about it?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Oh, I'm running the PCSX2 0.9.7 beta.

Sponsored links

I don't know about the docs folder (because the version I use), still the cheats folder must be inside the same folder the PCSX2.exe is.

PS: Make sure you have Windows to show extensions (not to hide them), least you don't have something like bb3d833a.pnach.txt
Imagination is where we are truly real
How do you even enable cheats like that? Anyways try creating a cheats folder in both the PCSX2 in my documents and the PCSX2 folder in program files.
CPU: Pentium D 'Presler' 915 2.8 ghz 2x2MB L2 @ 3.5 ghz
GPU: eVGA [Nvidia] 8600GT 256MB SSC DDR3
Tested: FFX, FFX-2, FFXII, MGS3, KH, KH2, The Hobbit NTSC
PCSX2 FTW! Biggrin
(07-24-2010, 05:14 AM)Dangerousd777 Wrote: How do you even enable cheats like that? Anyways try creating a cheats folder in both the PCSX2 in my documents and the PCSX2 folder in program files.

Now you confused even I. There is no need to keep two directories, the one inside the 'root' the PCSX2 is installed is enough.

But the post arises two points I think should stress once again.

Installing inside the C:\Program Files is secure headache in Vista and 7 for many games and should be avoided as the plague.

The same for installing inside the Documents folder, although there is no problem at all keeping the inis/saves and the likes there.

@chewbaccasdad
If you installed inside the C:\Program Files or Documents, you should uninstall it and install somewhere far away these "specially secured folders"
Anything like C:\Games or C:\Emulators or another partition like E:\somename is good enough base to install games in general.
That makes sense, well... I'm using XP, so I install pretty much every where, but my PCSX2 doesn't have a 'cheats' folder lying around.

By the way, what are the cheats? You could make cheats on the fly by using Cheat Engine. I was able to change my health, gil and even amount of available moves and such on the sphere grid, but that's all shrimpy compared to what you COULD do. You could modify the behavior of the game at assembly (machine) level code [just a step up from binary Wink].
CPU: Pentium D 'Presler' 915 2.8 ghz 2x2MB L2 @ 3.5 ghz
GPU: eVGA [Nvidia] 8600GT 256MB SSC DDR3
Tested: FFX, FFX-2, FFXII, MGS3, KH, KH2, The Hobbit NTSC
PCSX2 FTW! Biggrin
@ Dangerousd777 if you use the 0.9.6 it's the patches folder, anyway the OP is doing everything right, if the extension is not hidden as told in my first post or one those accurs, ops, nonblessed protected folders.
I think it means the cheats folder is in the same level the docs folder and not inside it and it's in the same level the pcsx2.exe is.

About the remaining, discussing them will hijack this thread.
(07-24-2010, 06:44 AM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: @ Dangerousd777 if you use the 0.9.6 it's the patches folder, anyway the OP is doing everything right, if the extension is not hidden as told in my first post or one those accurs, ops, nonblessed protected folders.
I think it means the cheats folder is in the same level the docs folder and not inside it and it's in the same level the pcsx2.exe is.

About the remaining, discussing them will hijack this thread.

I'm such a nublet. It was as you said. I figured I had file extensions showing, but alas no, so it was a .pnach.txt file. I've renamed it and PCSX2 is loading them. They aren't working, but that is something I can work on.

Thanks to you and Dangerous for your help!
You're welcome, actually it was a lucky strike have recalled another those strange things on Windows...
i got a question, when i use cheat engine, it shows like four different pcsx2 things, but as far as i can tell, none work, i can find the cheats with one or two, but i mod them and it doesnt affect teh game...
here are they:
(all begin with 00000b 88)
gs / interlaced (the thing above the ps2 screen when game is on)
kingdom hearts 2 final mix (the game, i presume)
MSCTFIME UI (no idea, but has the same intro as the other pcsx2 stuff)
pcsx2 9.7 3876m svn (the standby window, where you load the game)
Default IME (... no idea.)

i know that the cheat systems work, cause i was using artmoney for a bit, but i prefer cheat engine, cause i started with it, and i cant seem to add things whenever i want, i HAVe to search. also having trouble getting the codebreaker codes to work, i know about changing them to raw, but after that, they dont seem to work often anyway... and some dont change at all...

edit: actually figured out the part about loading it, noticed everything seemed to have an DEFAULT IME tried it, ta-da!