Choppy framerate even at 60fps?
I've been trying to play a bunch of games with PCSX2 and even though the emulator is constantly reporting that they are running at full speed every game will randomly appear to run at a lower framerate before returning to being completely smooth again. This doesn't seem to be caused by how intense the scene in the game is either, if I sit in the corner of a room and pan the camera around, this frame slowdown will always randomly kick in.

Sponsored links

In order to help you further with your problem, please make sure the following are all provided.
  • Your hardware specs - CPU, Graphics Card, Memory, Operating System.
  • The version of PCSX2 you are using.
  • Any non default settings you are using.
  • What games you are trying to play and if you are playing them from ISO or DVD.

Thank You.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
Are you playing from the disk or image,are you using frame skipping or some speed hacks.
Post your pcsx2 settings and pc specs...also what game you are playing
i5 3570
660Ti
8GB RAM

Using the latest stable version with no speedhacks and running the game from an ISO. The effect is most noticeable in Timesplitters 2, because of how smooth the game runs when it is at full speed.
Same problem here. All PCSX2 are this problem. it's subtle but really present , as micro stutter frame ou desync on Vsync ?

I notice than MTVU increase this phenomene.

Tested on two PC :

Intel Q6600 3.0 Ghz
Geforce GTS 250
4 go DDR 2

and

Athlon 2 X3 460 3.4 Ghz
Geforce GTX 460
4 go DDR 3

On all games and all version of PCSX2. Difficult to explain, would be needed a video to understand really

Sorry for my english :-/
This sounds like a cycle speedhack problem. MTVU might also cause this (though less likely, only happens in very few games).
This is odd. I tried to make a video of the problem with FRAPS, but when I play the video back there is only a slight stutter at the start of when the problem occurred in the emulator, but after that the video appears completely smooth, even though what is being show in the video appeared to stutter in the emulator at the time it was recording.
As rama suggested, is any speedhack being used? that kind of information is paramount to help understanding what may be the problem.

EE clyclerate helps increasing FPS at the cost of reducing the EE (PS2 CPU) clock, so things may be happening out of pace despite the FPS is indeed increased. That hack may cause timing problems for the emulation depending on the game and the amount of reduction. One easy to diagnose symptom of issues caused by it is sound losing synchronization with image.

VU cycle stealing does help FPS at expense of what comes to the VUs for calculation. This one is more specific to graphics and like the former it is prone to cause the image to change slowly, same as to say: laggy (again despite the FPS is increased) and maybe cause stutter as well.

What the point for them then? First because the FPS is the main parameter for PS2 timing and synchronization. Second because they don't affect all games equally, some games are tolerant to them so to play without significant loss or perceivable problems.

Bottom line, are you using any speedhack? the answer will help to understand what's really going on.

Edit to complement: Is easy to confuse the frame with the picture. PC games use this notion to make the motion looking equal despite the FPS (provided it is high enough to not look like a slide show). That's because the motion is synchronized by real time, a moving object will get from point A to point B in 6 secs does not matter the FPS.

PS2 (like most console which are designed to work in TV instead monitors) makes the synchronization based on FPS (mostly). So the same moving object from the previous example takes 360 frames to complete the movement, if the FPS falls to 30 the object still needs 360 frames so it will complete the movement in 12 seconds, a very "noticeable" slow motion. The inverse occurs is for some reason the FPS is increased (which does not happens in PS2 and can be prevented by the framelimiting in PCSX2. Story morale, try to get the FPS exactly that of the TV standard used, 60 for NTSC or 50 for PAL.

The perception of movement/events change is immediately noticeable if the FPS falls in a PS2 or PCSX2 without speedhacks. Then PCSX2 tries the best of two worlds, that is artificially increasing the FPS by various methods (speedhacks). Of course there will be a price but not always a noticeable price and then, even an eventually laggy scene may be better than raw general slow motion... most of times... not always.
Imagination is where we are truly real
(12-04-2012, 02:24 PM)danieljg Wrote: This is odd. I tried to make a video of the problem with FRAPS, but when I play the video back there is only a slight stutter at the start of when the problem occurred in the emulator, but after that the video appears completely smooth, even though what is being show in the video appeared to stutter in the emulator at the time it was recording.

Hmm..give GSdx software mode a try see if it happens then too
[Image: newsig.jpg]
Indeed ! I have also made a video of the problem. The video is smooth while in the game not. Odd ...

No speedhack used.

To be more precise, that does not make it all the time, it is in a way cyclic. A little as a "frameskip".