Comparison out of sheer curiosity...
I think another reason PPSSPP can run games faster is because it can basically HLE everything as user mode applications. It doesn't have to do any of the weird things required to get PS2 games running. PSP is also significantly weaker. Also, PPSSPP is newer and has less clutter to it.

Don't quote me on it as I'm not technically minded, but I'm pretty sure emulating whatever the PSP processor is (MIPS? ARM?) is probably a lot easier than emulating the assortment of non-standard processors the PS2 has.

Sponsored links

(03-17-2015, 12:07 AM)JMC47 Wrote: I think another reason PPSSPP can run games faster is because it can basically HLE everything as user mode applications. It doesn't have to do any of the weird things required to get PS2 games running. PSP is also significantly weaker. Also, PPSSPP is newer and has less clutter to it.

Don't quote me on it as I'm not technically minded, but I'm pretty sure emulating whatever the PSP processor is (MIPS? ARM?) is probably a lot easier than emulating the assortment of non-standard processors the PS2 has.

Yeah, the psp is less complex with the MIPS R4000.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
I think if you make HLE it doesn't matter anymore (at least not that much) how powerful a device is, or? Since you reimplement all functions instead of emulating them you are not bound to hardware limitations. The problem is just that you need to write efficient HLE code..
(03-17-2015, 12:48 AM)willkuer Wrote: I think if you make HLE it doesn't matter anymore (at least not that much) how powerful a device is, or? Since you reimplement all functions instead of emulating them you are not bound to hardware limitations. The problem is just that you need to write efficient HLE code..

That makes sense, thanks for the answer, both yours and JMC47's.