Confounding graphical error when playing Monster Hunter [GSdx9]
Hey, I'm trying to play Monster Hunter on PSCX2. For the most part, it runs flawlessly, but I'm experiencing an annoying problem while using the GSdx9 plugin. When Logarithmic Z is enabled, the game looks great, but the shadows appear to warp and distort. (Pic. 1) When Logarithmic Z is disabled, the shadows look great, but strange, black graphical artifacts appear on distant objects. (Pic. 2)

After a maddening night and morning of messing around with the display options, I have come to the conclusion that either A) I cannot avoid both problems simultaneously or B) I'm an idiot who's just been checking random boxes without any idea of what they do.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions? Or maybe recalls someone with a similar problem and how they solved it? Or should I just give up and play it as it is?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sponsored links

Try using the D9 Software Renderer.
Does it fix it? if yes it's a GDSX bug in the hardware renderer

If possible try to use DX10 Options (if your OS + Video-card support it)

PS: Give more infos about your Computer
CPU: Intel Core2Duo E6600 @2.7Ghz (OC'ed)
Mainboard: ABIT Fatal1ty FP-IN9 SLI
GPU: XFX Geforce 8800 GTS 320MB
RAM: 3GB DDR2-800
Damn, good call! Switching to software renderer solves the both problems, but unfortunately it does a number on my framerate as well. I guess I'm screwed then?

Also, my computer is crappy, and does not support DX10. (Specs attached.)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

You could try to use the newest beta-plugins
http://pcsx2.net/files/23218

just unpack them into the plugin folder and select the newest GDSX one.
And try again with the hardware renderer
CPU: Intel Core2Duo E6600 @2.7Ghz (OC'ed)
Mainboard: ABIT Fatal1ty FP-IN9 SLI
GPU: XFX Geforce 8800 GTS 320MB
RAM: 3GB DDR2-800
Arg, I tried the newest plugin data, to no avail. It appears that the only thing which makes any difference is the Logarithmic Z option. What does it even do?

Still, thanks a ton for the help, you figured out more in a few minutes than I did in three hours. I'm going to go sleep for a little bit, but I'm not prepared to give up just yet.

Any additional feedback would be greatly appreciated.
DX10 mode would fix it.
Since you can't use that, you're indeed left with one of the 2 logz modi in DX9 hw.
Logz is the only fix, that will make other games look screwy, so make sure you turn it back on after, should be fine with MH Smile
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]