Confused... Best way to dump BIOS (SCPH-90001)
I am new to PCSX2 and am growing very frustrated in figuring out how to dump the BIOS from my last of its kind PS2 Slim (SCPH-90001). My previous attempts and previous research led me to believe that I would need Swap Magic 3 in order to use the other software necessary to obtain the BIOS from my PS2. The problem, however is that Swap Magic 3 is nearly impossible to find last time I checked. Unable to obtain Swap Magic 3, I threw up my hands and gave up until now. I want get this emulator going so I can finish Final Fantasy XII. After all, PS2 games are a blurry mess, on the HDTVs in my home. If there any other easy ways to dump the BIOS, any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored links

there are other ways, including using PS2 games to exploit and run other code, there are many guides here for it just search around
You'll need to use a game with multiple Elf files to hot swap with. You'll have to look up how to softmod a PS2, but that shouldn't be too hard. You might not hae to even use ulaunchelf if you replace that with the bios dump elf. and make sure you enter the correct file size for the elf file.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
(11-04-2015, 09:17 PM)Nobbs66 Wrote: You'll have to look up how to softmod a PS2

you can NOT softmod a ps2, they all need a hard mod to do this  (though it's not as bad as it sounds)
(11-04-2015, 09:21 PM)Saiki Wrote: you can NOT softmod a ps2, they all need a hard mod to do this  (though it's not as bad as it sounds)

Unless we are arguing about what "softmod" actually means - yes, you can softmod a ps2.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(11-04-2015, 09:28 PM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: Unless we are arguing about what "softmod" actually means - yes, you can softmod a ps2.

if you need to make ANY hardware modifications, it is a hard mod. and you have to block a bunch of sensors = hard mod
(11-04-2015, 10:01 PM)Saiki Wrote: if you need to make ANY hardware modifications, it is a hard mod. and you have to block a bunch of sensors = hard mod

Oh because it's a slim PS2. I see. Yeah I guess that makes sense.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(11-04-2015, 10:04 PM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: Oh because it's a slim PS2. I see. Yeah I guess that makes sense.

They're not permanent changes and can be undone while still keeping the extra functionality of FMCB. It's not a hardmod. This also isn't the time or place to argue this.
I looked into the Free Mcboot method only to find that my PS2 slim is most likely incompatible. One YouTube video I watched indicated that the datecode for a SCPH-9xxxx series PS2 needs to something like an 8c or 8d. That said I am assuming that my PS2 is incompatible with Free Mcboot as it has a datecode of 9D. Since Swap Magic is out of the question as far as I know, I just realized that I might be able use Action Replay Max to use the files (on a formatted USB drive) needed to dump my PS2's BIOS. If that approach could work I just need to purchase Action Replay Max somehow.
Well, you won't need FMCB intalled, if you can hot swap to a ulaunch disc, you can run the elf file from a flashdrive