Controller malfunction
Greetings everyone, sorry for my utter noobness, I have done a lot of digging through controller threads, but found nothing so thought it best to create my own.

My problem is a bit specific. I downloaded the PCSX2 version 1.0 and it ran the game shifters (not the best game I hear but I hear it is great for its multiple transformation options!) and it works pretty well, blacked out for the cut scenes, but i saw the gameplay mode looked fine so hooray it runs.

the problem is, as the title says, my controller. specifically this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NY2...00_s00_i00

I went to the configure menu, and tried assigning the buttons correctly, I got all the dpad buttons assigned, the shapes buttons, but when i tried doing the left and right joysticks, it would simply reassign over the shapes buttons! when playing it lets my character run only backwards, then left, right, and up on any of the joysticks and dpad do the options for the upper 3 shapes buttons.

anyone have experience with this controller or this issue with assigning buttons? other then that the program runs well and I look forward to playing games i wasn't able to buy for my ps2!

EDIT: the controller has worked for sega and gamecube emulators very easily!

Sponsored links

(12-21-2012, 03:45 PM)bobcat666 Wrote: Greetings everyone, sorry for my utter noobness, I have done a lot of digging through controller threads, but found nothing so thought it best to create my own.

My problem is a bit specific. I downloaded the PCSX2 version 1.0 and it ran the game shifters (not the best game I hear but I hear it is great for its multiple transformation options!) and it works pretty well, blacked out for the cut scenes, but i saw the gameplay mode looked fine so hooray it runs.

the problem is, as the title says, my controller. specifically this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NY2...00_s00_i00

I went to the configure menu, and tried assigning the buttons correctly, I got all the dpad buttons assigned, the shapes buttons, but when i tried doing the left and right joysticks, it would simply reassign over the shapes buttons! when playing it lets my character run only backwards, then left, right, and up on any of the joysticks and dpad do the options for the upper 3 shapes buttons.

anyone have experience with this controller or this issue with assigning buttons? other then that the program runs well and I look forward to playing games i wasn't able to buy for my ps2!

EDIT: the controller has worked for sega and gamecube emulators very easily!

Make sure to have that "Analog" button active while configuring (and playing), it's led should be lit.

PS: Just an advise, the emulator is for playing games you have for your ps2, keep it in mind, the number 1 rule on this forum is strict.
Imagination is where we are truly real
(12-21-2012, 04:26 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: Make sure to have that "Analog" button active while configuring (and playing), it's led should be lit.

PS: Just an advise, the emulator is for playing games you have for your ps2, keep it in mind, the number 1 rule on this forum is strict.

>.< my apologies. I just tried your advice on the analog button and they did not over write. attempting to play now! thank you very very much! and again sorry I did not try that, it seems like something i would do, but im running on zero hours of sleep here.

EDIT: unfortunately, despite the analog sticks having separate functions that i assigned them, they all still do the same thing. I am attempting another game to see if it may be the game itself.
(12-21-2012, 05:12 PM)bobcat666 Wrote: >.< my apologies. I just tried your advice on the analog button and they did not over write. attempting to play now! thank you very very much! and again sorry I did not try that, it seems like something i would do, but im running on zero hours of sleep here.

EDIT: unfortunately, despite the analog sticks having separate functions that i assigned them, they all still do the same thing. I am attempting another game to see if it may be the game itself.

That's normal, many games use dpad and left stick to move, for example. The pad usage depends on the game actually, not the emulator's or plugin. It seems to be working as expected now.
(12-21-2012, 05:26 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: That's normal, many games use dpad and left stick to move, for example. The pad usage depends on the game actually, not the emulator's or plugin. It seems to be working as expected now.

not at all. Sorry I forgot to clarify, It is still having the same problem as in the first post! the back button/direction works, but on the dpad and left analog stick, the up, left, and right buttons take me to some sub menu for potions/magic/weaponry changes. Right analog stick does exactly the same as my shapes buttons. I have not played the game in years so I am not sure exactly what the controls should work as but I think the dpad is supposed to be the sub menu item selections and the left joy stick the directional mover, yet both seem to only work going backwards, and do the menus for any other direction
(12-21-2012, 05:30 PM)bobcat666 Wrote: not at all. Sorry I forgot to clarify, It is still having the same problem as in the first post! the back button/direction works, but on the dpad and left analog stick, the up, left, and right buttons take me to some sub menu for potions/magic/weaponry changes. Right analog stick does exactly the same as my shapes buttons. I have not played the game in years so I am not sure exactly what the controls should work as but I think the dpad is supposed to be the sub menu item selections and the left joy stick the directional mover, yet both seem to only work going backwards, and do the menus for any other direction

test the pad at windows, if it is malfunctioning there you have a problem and possibly will need driver

To do it under win7 go to "devices and printers" and right click the pad icon and chose "game controller settings" and from "properties" verify what each button does.
(12-21-2012, 06:13 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: test the pad at windows, if it is malfunctioning there you have a problem and possibly will need driver

To do it under win7 go to "devices and printers" and right click the pad icon and chose "game controller settings" and from "properties" verify what each button does.

followed those instructions but after properties none of the options or tabs really had anything to do with the buttons. I tested it again with the gamecube emulator and it works perfectly fine there, as it did before as well. this is very strange.

edit: i did a test on the gamecube and realize the dpad and the joystick also seem to be in sync there as well, despite the different functions i tried to assign them, I just never noticed because in the games the motion was assigned, whereas that isnt the case with the ps2 for some reason, so i suppose its something in the controller which makes it not so ps2 compattible, strange considering its basically a ps2 controller tho
(12-21-2012, 07:17 PM)bobcat666 Wrote: followed those instructions but after properties none of the options or tabs really had anything to do with the buttons. I tested it again with the gamecube emulator and it works perfectly fine there, as it did before as well. this is very strange.

edit: i did a test on the gamecube and realize the dpad and the joystick also seem to be in sync there as well, despite the different functions i tried to assign them, I just never noticed because in the games the motion was assigned, whereas that isnt the case with the ps2 for some reason, so i suppose its something in the controller which makes it not so ps2 compattible, strange considering its basically a ps2 controller tho

I'm not sure I understand what is the problem ever, as I said before and just as an example, the characters movement can be done either by the dpad or the joystick, the same for some menus. What's the function of each button and control is depending on the game although there is kind of a pattern, yet some games allow changing buttons configuration.

Edit: there is an easy way to verify if the pad is working as should in the plugin itself. At the "General" tab highlight it and then click "Test device". Notice the values changing for each button pressed and the sticks, if everything is OK these values don't overlap.

Another thing, beware that "Allow binding multiple PS2 controls to one PC control", it should be disabled unless you need it and know how it works.
(12-21-2012, 07:33 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: I'm not sure I understand what is the problem ever, as I said before and just as an example, the characters movement can be done either by the dpad or the joystick, the same for some menus. What's the function of each button and control is depending on the game although there is kind of a pattern, yet some games allow changing buttons configuration.

Edit: there is an easy way to verify if the pad is working as should in the plugin itself. At the "General" tab highlight it and then click "Test device". Notice the values changing for each button pressed and the sticks, if everything is OK these values don't overlap.

Another thing, beware that "Allow binding multiple PS2 controls to one PC control", it should be disabled unless you need it and know how it works.

The issue is that I can only walk backward, which ends up with my character kinda just running around in a circle backwards. any other direction automatically goes to a submenu, so there is literally no way for me to walk forward, even after assigning different functions to different buttons via lilypad. I will test that with the test button though im not entirely sure i understand it ill see what happens.

EDIT: just did the test function, in most cases only one section would change its number, but when using the joysticks two separate sections would suddenly change their numbers. mostly on the z and x axis parts.
(12-21-2012, 07:41 PM)bobcat666 Wrote: The issue is that I can only walk backward, which ends up with my character kinda just running around in a circle backwards. any other direction automatically goes to a submenu, so there is literally no way for me to walk forward, even after assigning different functions to different buttons via lilypad. I will test that with the test button though im not entirely sure i understand it ill see what happens.

EDIT: just did the test function, in most cases only one section would change its number, but when using the joysticks two separate sections would suddenly change their numbers. mostly on the z and x axis parts.

At this point I'd suggest calling an exorcist Smile

Well, let's stop the guessing game then, please post a screensave showing the bindings (pad1) and the General window's screensave.