Converting binary memory card image file to .ps2 format?
So here's the lowdown: I have managed to image my PS2 memory cards to a direct binary image. Of course, PCSX2 doesn't support this, and I'd like to know if there are any tools out there that can convert a .bin to a .ps2 file. I appreciate any information on the subject that can be provided!

Sponsored links

use ulaunchelf and mount a .PS2 image of pcsx2 as VMC.
Then copy all the savegames to it and paste it via MCPASTE on the VMC.

Can't be easier as that.

Main Rig: i7-3770k @4.5ghz | 16GB DDR3 | Nvidia GTX 980 TI | Win 10 X64
Laptop: MSI GT62VR | i7-6700HQ | 16GB DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1060 | Win 10 X64

(12-16-2011, 03:51 AM)Nexxxus Wrote: use ulaunchelf and mount a .PS2 image of pcsx2 as VMC.
Then copy all the savegames to it and paste it via MCPASTE on the VMC.

Can't be easier as that.

Perhaps I should clarify that the .bin images are on my PC's hard drive. I used the PS3MCA tool to make a direct image of them, of course. My actual PS2 is not modded at all, nor did I plan to mod it (hard or soft) unless I absolutely have to. So unless ULaunchELF has a PC application for converting binary memory card image to a .ps2 memory card image, that's not going to help me much.

EDIT: Oh, I see. PCSX2 can run .elf files. That might just work, then! I'll give it a shot.

EDIT 2: Perhaps I'm missing something here. PCSX2 doesn't seem to be able to actually do anything with the ULaunchELF image. It just hangs forever on a black screen. Is there somewhere I can look for information on this?
You will have to mod it if you want to use pcsx2.
Else you won't be able to extract your ps2 bios
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(12-16-2011, 04:15 AM)jesalvein Wrote: You will have to mod it if you want to use pcsx2.
Else you won't be able to extract your ps2 bios

I don't need to extract my PS2's BIOS, actually; I still have a BIOS image from my now-dead old-model PS2. This seems like an awful lot of trouble when the only thing I need to do here is find a way to convert already-extracted memory card images to a PCSX2-compatible format... I would hope that would just entail adding the correct header data to the binary image or something.

EDIT: If it helps any, here's exactly what I did. I ran: ps3mca-tool -img mc1.bin It took about 15-20 minutes, and gave me a direct image copy of the memory card called mc1.bin for my troubles.
SkyRender, I'm just wondering... is the size of the dumped memcard image 8.00 or 8.25 megabytes? (let's assume 8 MB = 8,388,608 bytes)

I don't have the means to test ps3mca-tool, but I'm guessing that it didn't dump the memcard's ECC data -- that's assuming the dumped image is 8.00MB to begin with?

--

edit:
just in case my guess was right, I made a tool to regenerate the ECC blocks. otherwise, ignore this attached file.

Attached Files
.zip   ecc_check.zip (Size: 3,37 KB / Downloads: 930)
(12-16-2011, 03:59 AM)SkyRender Wrote: Perhaps I should clarify that the .bin images are on my PC's hard drive. I used the PS3MCA tool to make a direct image of them, of course. My actual PS2 is not modded at all, nor did I plan to mod it (hard or soft) unless I absolutely have to. So unless ULaunchELF has a PC application for converting binary memory card image to a .ps2 memory card image, that's not going to help me much.

EDIT: Oh, I see. PCSX2 can run .elf files. That might just work, then! I'll give it a shot.

EDIT 2: Perhaps I'm missing something here. PCSX2 doesn't seem to be able to actually do anything with the ULaunchELF image. It just hangs forever on a black screen. Is there somewhere I can look for information on this?

This modified version of uLaunchELF works with PCSX2:
http://psx-scene.com/forums/attachments/...tests-.zip

From the uLaunchELF Thread at psx-scene.com

Start PCSX2 with a standard .ps2 VMC.
Run the BOOT.elf and try to mount the .bin as a VMC.
Copy the saves from the .bin card to the .ps2 card.
That should work. I haven't used uLE's VMC feature much.
(12-16-2011, 08:05 AM)patrickdinh Wrote: SkyRender, I'm just wondering... is the size of the dumped memcard image 8.00 or 8.25 megabytes? (let's assume 8 MB = 8,388,608 bytes)

I don't have the means to test ps3mca-tool, but I'm guessing that it didn't dump the memcard's ECC data -- that's assuming the dumped image is 8.00MB to begin with?

--

edit:
just in case my guess was right, I made a tool to regenerate the ECC blocks. otherwise, ignore this attached file.

Thank you! This was exactly what I needed, as it turns out. Indeed, the PS3MCA tool's -img command produces a direct binary image of the memory card data itself, and no ECC data. I had your program output the result to a .ps2 file, and PCSX2 can read that just fine.
(12-16-2011, 03:59 AM)SkyRender Wrote: EDIT 2: Perhaps I'm missing something here. PCSX2 doesn't seem to be able to actually do anything with the ULaunchELF image. It just hangs forever on a black screen. Is there somewhere I can look for information on this?

uhm I mean you have to run ulaunchelf on your real PS2 in order to backup your memorycard to .PS2 files...

Main Rig: i7-3770k @4.5ghz | 16GB DDR3 | Nvidia GTX 980 TI | Win 10 X64
Laptop: MSI GT62VR | i7-6700HQ | 16GB DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1060 | Win 10 X64