Corrupted memory card
Hi everyone!
So I started playing one of my favorite games from the ps2 era, Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix+ (with english patch), a few weeks back and I have spent around 50 hours in it.
I 've reached around level 76-77 and because I wouldn't have a lot of time starting next week, I decided to cheat a bit in the end and used ARmax.. I never actually got the cheats working (if i remember correctly the game and then pcsx2 crashed right after swapping discs and trying to run KH from inside AR).
At that point I just gave up and didn't try to run KH again until today, when to my surprise I found out that KH couldn't find any save files in the memory card. I tried entering the memory card from the ps2 browser but that just gave me the "The memory isn't formatted" message and asked me to format it, which I didn't. Then I tried using mymc hoping it could read the memory card and allow me to extract the save but that didn't work either.
It shows a message saying " D:\Location\of\memory\card\Mcd001.ps2: index (0) past of end of directory". At that point, since I had no idea what else to do, I decided to ask you guys for any help you can give me! Smile So any help and/or advice is welcome! Smile

PS: I've attached the memory card file in case any of you experts out there need it to fix things!

Attached Files
.7z   Mcd001.7z (Size: 1,53 MB / Downloads: 328)

Sponsored links

Are you 100% sure that this is the correct memory card? Maybe you can start a system wide file search for *.ps2 files?
(10-09-2015, 04:48 PM)willkuer Wrote: Are you 100% sure that this is the correct memory card? Maybe you can start a system wide file search for *.ps2 files?
Yeah pretty sure that's the one. The file inside the .7z file is "Mcd001.ps2" right? I also opened it with HxD and found a string like "BISLPM-66675FM" which belongs to KH2FM+ if I remember correctly..
Bump!!

It's been a couple of months without any reply, so I thought I should bump this thread in case a solution exists but this thread was forgotten before that solution could be posted. Smile
(10-09-2015, 04:04 PM)baretos Wrote: ...I decided to cheat a bit in the end and used ARmax...

Well, NEVER use ARmax. It's rather buggy and corrupts your memory card. I ever used one of those before and when I plugged the memory card in, and used ARmax, it corrupted the memory card.
I think ARmax actually did something to the memory card, such as altering the memory card's header. It's literally corrupted.
It is possible to fix the memory card via hex editor but it will take a long time and I guess you won't know how to do it (I don't know either), so I'm afraid that you'll need to create a new memory card, and don't try to use ARmax again.

If you're lucky enough, try using the previous versions of the file. Right-click on the memory card file, select properties, and select the Previous Versions tab. If you find a previous version of it and it works, you're lucky. If you don't find any previous versions, or none of the previous versions available, then you're out of luck at this time.
My low-end specs:
C2D E7500 2.93GHz|GeForce G210 512MB|2x1GB DDR2|250W (Lenovo OEM) PSU|Lenovo G40 (OEM motherboard)
Upcoming:
Core i5 4590 3.3GHz|Inno3D GeForce GTX 960|2x8GB DDR3|Corsair CX500|MSI H97 PC Mate
Try to create a new memory card. Save a new game onto it.
Then replace the correct area with your broken dump using a hex editor.
If you're lucky, you can salvage it Smile
Mymc could be able to restore the file as well. Do what rama said but insted of goung the hard way using a hex editor try mymc instead. If that doesnt work you possbly need to to use the hexeditor.
(12-20-2015, 05:11 PM)rama Wrote: Try to create a new memory card. Save a new game onto it.
Then replace the correct area with your broken dump using a hex editor.
If you're lucky, you can salvage it Smile

I tried that but it didn't work.
I copied the area that contains the save(only the save,not the ico and sys),and created a new file with the data,then place the file into a working save\folder(replacing the existing file)

The file start from a string called KH2J: and it ends at the starting position + 0x10FBF

When I look at the card,it seems ARMAX tried to write to the card and that's when baretos closed pcsx2
(12-20-2015, 05:41 PM)vsub Wrote: I tried that but it didn't work.
I copied the area that contains the save(only the save,not the ico and sys),and created a new file with the data,then place the file into a working save\folder(replacing the existing file)

The file start from a string called KH2J: and it ends at the starting position + 0x10FBF

When I look at the card,it seems ARMAX tried to write to the card and that's when baretos closed pcsx2

Yeah I tried doing the same thing as well. I couldn't get it to work either, but I just thought that I had copied the wrong part of the data or something because I wasn't familiar with this whole thing at all.. I was hoping that someone who had more experience with these kind of problems and ps2 save data format in general would be able to do what I couldn't and salvage the save games.
Anyway thanks alot for trying to help me vsub! Smile
I guess if you don't have any more ideas on how to fix it I'll just have to start playing again from the beginning the next time I find some time to spare on KH2FM. Smile