Could software mode be potentially CPU killer?
Hello
I would like to ask if using pcsx2 software mode can potentially be bad for CPU?
I mean it is VERY CPU heavy and lots of games get fps drops to 40-50 every few minutes, this means our PC is under heavy load and CPU is not fast enough to handle smooth gameplay.

My question is - could this kind of action negatively affect or maybe overheat/ damage (after prelonged use) CPU unit?
I' wondering from yesterday when I had to use SW mode in blood will tell to pass first stage that have unsolved processing problem (messed up in HWmode).

BTW, do speedhacks help in SW mode also?

Sponsored links

(01-09-2015, 11:38 AM)belmont1990 Wrote: Hello
I would like to ask if using pcsx2 software mode can potentially be bad for CPU?
I mean it is VERY CPU heavy and lots of games get fps drops to 40-50 every few minutes, this means our PC is under heavy load and CPU is not fast enough to handle smooth gameplay.

My question is - could this kind of action negatively affect or maybe overheat/ damage (after prelonged use) CPU unit?
I' wondering from yesterday when I had to use SW mode in blood will tell to pass first stage that have unsolved processing problem (messed up in HWmode).

BTW, do speedhacks help in SW mode also?

It would get overheated, yes, but it would get throttled down as well.
And yes, speedhacks works in SW Mode too.
[Insert Witty Sig Here.]
don't worry, it won't blow up your cpu Tongue2 since, it is cpu demanding the worst case scenario will only be overheating. your pc won't blow up unless, you have an ancient psu.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
It'll increase wear and tear if it's a pretty bad CPU and incapable of spreading the load, but it won't outright kill it.

The only dangerous factor would be temperatures on older CPUs or badly cooled CPUs.
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60~4.20 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super @ 6 GB | Samsung 980 1TB | Windows 10 Pro x64 (22H2)
(01-09-2015, 01:24 PM)Ryudo Wrote: The only dangerous factor would be temperatures on older CPUs or badly cooled CPUs.

This needs to be mentioned! I think only newer cpu's dynamically downclock to avoid overheating. Older models keep the same clock until they die.
Computers are designed to handle this load.
Every CPU sold has passed a much stricter test in the factory.
(01-09-2015, 01:40 PM)rama Wrote: Computers are designed to handle this load.
Every CPU sold has passed a much stricter test in the factory.

Probably they have sufficient cooling in the factory or?

I just read that Throttling is implemented since Intel Pentium 4 Willamette. So already some time ago.

But still to fry your cpu you need an old and hardly cooled unit. In this case it might be better to destroy it and invest in something new Wink

On the other side I damaged my notebook due to heat issues (probably due to pcsx2 btw.). I had a very bad generation of nvidia cards that produced really a lot of heat. This head damaged the soldering joints which killed the board at some point. But this is not really the definition of a cpu-killer. One can say pcsx2 can be an indicator to find cheap hardware if you are stupid enough to ignore 100°C components over a very long time period.
I have quite low temps for box cooler and thermal paste (think so!) while running HW mode - CPU goes to 46-48c max. and GPU about 42c.
Did not measure while in SW mode and have fps drops but most demanding game I have (Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition) heats my G3420 to 55c after some longer session.
This CPU can work safely up to 72c as intel states, will measure temp in SW mode while running blood will tell and compare to PC gaming temps.
It should be perfectly fine as processors are made to "survive" under normal use for at least 10 years, and let's be honest you probably won't use it for that long. As already mentioned, the only problem could be heating and if you have a normal cooler it should be fine if you're not overclocking.
I have my old core2duo without any cooler fan and, also removed the default cooler fans and, have overclocked it to 3.4ghz and I will use pcsx2 most of the times and, there is absolutely no problem. Sometimes, the fan overheats that's all.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction