Crash once emulation starts
Using PSX2 0.9.6
Windows XP SP2

All my specs are correct for running the emulator, I've got an intel dual processor and a Nvida GeForce 8800 GTS graphics card with shader 3 support.

Anyway, problem is this:

As soon as I start the disk(or no disk), the following happens:

Psx (the window that the settings and stuff are in) crashes out with a "program performed an illegal operation" error.

The main emulator window runs fine, and I can even play FFX if I shove the error message off the screen. (albeit at around 70% speed, but still pretty impressive.) Saving, loading, everything works as far as I can tell.

The problem is that the main PSX2 window is crashed out as soon as emulation starts. Meaning, if I press esc, the whole program hangs up(cause it's waiting to return focus to that window, which no longer functions.)

While this does make for an interesting setup, with an easy to press "exit" button, I'm pretty sure this isn't supposed to happen.Blink

Any idea what might cause PSX2 to crash like this? I mean, it's playable, but I can't run full screen or change anything once I start the emulation since the focus is stolen by the "illegal operation" window.

Sponsored links

run gsdx in software mode then configure the ps2 bios then u can go back to gsdx hardware
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5200 OC to 3.6GHz, Intel GMA x4500, 1GB DDR2

NinjaMight just work on next guideNinja
Ok, even running in software mode crashed the poor little window, but now I've configured the bios(I think, I set the clock and formatted the cards and it didn't report any errors, so I guess that's all I need to set).

Unfortunetly, it still crashed out even in software mode. It also didn't save anything, probably because the little PSX2 window or the console is responsible for the act of saving data. In short, I can't seem to save the bios settings, because the only way to quit the emulator is to press the "send error report" or "don't send" button, force killing the application.

Oh, also, scratch the saving thing working. Before I mentioned I could save my game, but I hadn't tried testing by quitting the emulator. It doesn't seem to be able to save anything once emulation starts and that "illegal operation" comes up.Wacko
have u tried running as admin? Mellow
Windows 7 64bit

(03-20-2009, 02:40 AM)LuisR14 Wrote: have u tried running as admin? Mellow
Xp doesn't have a run as admin feature.
Have you tried deleting the inis and reconfiguring?
(03-20-2009, 02:44 AM)Saiki Wrote:

Yeah, what he said. I'm in XP, and only have one user, so I am the admin and can write and read any files at all.

I just looked into the memcards folder, and it's...well, it's blue for one thing. I've never seen a folder turn blue text before. I'd assume it's probably cause the file is/was in use by PSX and never was released since psx crashed. There also are two memory card files, each the right size (8.25 mb). I don't think formatting them does anything, though I don't have any tools to test this with as only PSX can be useful in reading the files.Unsure

Anyway, I've tried all plugins for sound, graphics, and cd emulation, and still have not found the problem. I'm running between 30 and 60 FPS with whatever settings I use, so it's not a graphical problem. I can't test full screen, because the error message kills the full screen plugins, but if the other emulators(P64, PSX1) are any indication, full screen would run better and give a more steady framerate if I could.

So, no save, no full screen, and it appears to not remember anything or support saved states. I think I broke it.Ninja
Blue Folder = NTSC compression enabled, omg... It's not a problem, it's meant to be that way LaughDD
(03-20-2009, 02:44 AM)Saiki Wrote:
owp Tongue

(03-20-2009, 02:57 AM)Cain Wrote: Blue Folder = NTSC compression enabled, omg... It's not a problem, it's meant to be that way LaughDD
yea i was gonna say that Tongue
Windows 7 64bit

(03-20-2009, 02:50 AM)Cain Wrote: Have you tried deleting the inis and reconfiguring?

Just tested that, no go. Even with a fresh ini directory and fresh setup, it crashed out once emulation started.

Is there a "dump file" I could post to help figure out the problem, like when it crashed?