Custom Shaders for GSdx
I was kind of missing FXAA when using Overlay Bloom, soo I merged them, well not fully;P just took FXAA and added the colors, without additional blur OB was adding. I don't even know if I made it correctly, learning the hard way by experimenting lols(edit: well ok experimenting + reading that xD), but it looks beautifull imo:

(Pics from the same scene for comparism with different shaders/no shaders still here.)

.7z   Colored FXAA.7z (Size: 11,25 KB / Downloads: 14.225)
It also have that sharpening change I added before, but disabled it by default, couse sharpening FXAA is kind of pointless/decreasing it's visible effect a bit(it's at the very end of the file in case anyone wanna mess with it).

Sponsored links

(02-16-2012, 09:54 PM)dralor Wrote: Not really FXAA is a post process SMAA requires use of the gpu's multisampling hardware unless you want to do it in software which is kinda against the point. So if cetain data is already lost MSAA\SSAA becomes impossible.

SMAA is also a post process.
You mean this?:3
yeah, 4x would be nifty Tongue2
Hmmm I checked FXAA and it's basically full source copied inside .fx file with check for PS versions and output;P, wonder if it could be done same way with SMAA, couse it also have it's own .fx file and inside "techniques" which I have no clue how to convert them soo they could work ;P. Comparing to FXAA implementation I guess it's doable and not even soo hard, unless my limited knowledge doesn't see some problems. xD Gonna check it, basically MSAA has 3 techniques to choose from what I menaged to read:
Code:
* - Depth edge detection is usually the fastest but it may miss some edges.
* - Luma edge detection is usually more expensive than depth edge detection,
*   but catches visible edges that depth edge detection can miss.
* - Color edge detection is usually the most expensive one but catches
*   chroma-only edges.

And on my inexperienced eye, each of them seems to output similar way to FXAA, meaning it's possibly easy xD. Gonna try and see.

Edit:
argh xD "error X3017: 'SMAALumaEdgeDetectionPS': cannot implicitly convert from 'float4' to 'float4[3]'" gotta check it's own .fx file for what I forget, but I have even more feeling it's completely doable ;P, just I suck currently.

Edit2: well I guess [3] means it's a matrix and I used only first of three passes in it, add 2 more and it should work, easy as pie with demo .fx showing it, unfortunately not for me=_=; feels like a blog of iritation xD. /Gonna leave it for weekend, too much reading for one day.
(02-16-2012, 10:52 PM)Squall Leonhart Wrote: SMAA is also a post process.

Partially. The higher levels use MSAA or SSAA(maybe it was TSAA) in conjunction with a post process. Thus in it's fallback case were the post process fails it looks like MSAAA or SSAA which of course it much better then FXAA or MLAA's fallback case of unfiltered. Or at least that's how I understood it from reading the whitepapers.
wow dralor. nice post. i see smaa msaa ssaa tsaa fxaa mlaa.

what about blaah?!

i like pixels. Biggrin and i'm not that close to my monitor to even notice them. Wink
Well too bad everyone is not you.

I don't think I can play Gust game without Natural shader anymore now. Tongue2
Pixels, blurriness etc. I compiled the SMAA demo yesterday and wasn't really under some heavy impression, but the learning part is interesting there;P, even if it'll need modding gsdx further it must be doable, it's not like we must inject a shader with modified dx files, we have a source here and instructions how to integrate it are really simplified. Gonna mess around SMAA more today and I guess as long as SMAA x1 will be doable(which I'm not sure about doable in my current knowledge lvl, but that's actually what makes it interesting;P), SMAA S2x(spatial multisampling) and SMAA T2x(temporal supersampling) should be too, and that as whole gives SMAA 4x.
Eagerly waiting the day you posted those. Laugh