Custom Shaders for GSdx
I want to have a tradeoff between blurriness and aliasing for the textures. (Don't look at that necklace, or whatever it is. It is a separate texture from the body and it looks so horrible that I consider it being a bug/missing feature)
Anyway, in this case I want it to be more blurry rather than aliased. How would I do it? Without affecting 3D model edges of course.
Also in general these textures looks pretty bad. What algorithm is used for upscaling, some hardware bilinear thingy? Is it possible to replace it with other methods? It really needs an edge-directed interpolation of some kind.

Sponsored links

I've noted that the original post has a link to a instructions post that says the user has to press PgUp key to enable the external shader instead of the Home key.

That post was made 09-08-2012, before Asmodean separated FXAA and the external shader here on 01-15-2014.

Also, it says that can be automatically enabled by setting "fxaa=1" on gsdx.ini .

That info can be misleading to new users, perhaps a mod can update PgUp to Home key and fxaa=1 to shaderfx=1 on the instructions post.

Best regards.
English isn't my native language, if I make a spelling error, don't hesitate to let me know.

Win7
MSI Z77A-G43
Intel Core i5 3570
ATI HD5770
2x Kingston HyperX Blu 4GB CL9
Creative Tactic3D Headset
NOX PSU 550w
xBox 360 controller
Specs
[Image: 76561197995187625.png]
(12-30-2014, 05:18 PM)DoctorMuerte Wrote: I've noted that the original post has a link to a instructions post that says the user has to press PgUp key to enable the external shader instead of the Home key.

That post was made 09-08-2012, before Asmodean separated FXAA and the external shader here on 01-15-2014.

Also, it says that can be automatically enabled by setting "fxaa=1" on gsdx.ini .

That info can be misleading to new users, perhaps a mod can update PgUp to Home key and fxaa=1 to shaderfx=1 on the instructions post.

Best regards.
Fixed thanks
[Image: newsig.jpg]
Can someone walk me through installing a shader because I've read through this thread too many times and I still can't get a shader to work.

I'm using latest build and latest redist, right gsd and tried different shaders but I can't seem to get any effect.

In the log is says http://puu.sh/eWcZj/55c32dd64e.png Whether i disable or enable there's no difference.

EDIT: nevermind. somehow i got it work
Latest build:
Quote:#define BICUBLIC_SCALAR 0 //#Bicubic Interpolation Scaling. Uses BCS on up scaling, and downsampling of games, for smoother scaling.

What.

Also, is there any particular reason why enabling ANY kind of FXshader is so heavy on performance and frame lag? I'm getting smooth-silk frametime on 4x native but enabling shaders even on 2x native add noticeable sluttering and lag. Weird (tried with slight sharpen and FXAA on egdes).
(01-28-2015, 06:38 AM)Kein Wrote: Latest build:

What.

Also, is there any particular reason why enabling ANY kind of FXshader is so heavy on performance and frame lag? I'm getting smooth-silk frametime on 4x native but enabling shaders even on 2x native add noticeable sluttering and lag. Weird (tried with slight sharpen and FXAA on egdes).

it depends on your hardware. most the shaders have performance hits lesser hw is gona see more of it. unless there is some bug.

I personally see no hit to performance use shaders and 3x
The problem is that it does not even eats more than 60% of VRAM, it just loses in frametime greatly. Weird.
last i check memory bandwidth more important then the ram amount i could be wrong though
Hay,

I've uploaded a 2.3 preview of the GSdx post-processing suite to github, if anyone would like to try it out, and test it.

I'm not going to mark off every change - because I'd be here for a while. Basic rundown;

I basically copied/pasted from my github commit here, not writing all that again xD)

I've reworked, and rewrote a lot of it, and seperated effects that I had embedded in others. I've added some new effects, improved the options, and their descriptions.
Completely rewrote the color processing logic. Rewrote and improved the logic of many other of the effects. Expanded, and improved the options, and descriptions. etc, etc.

Recap of the current effects included, below;

* FXAA 3.11
-
* Bilinear Texture Filtering
* Bicubic Texture Filtering
* Gaussian Texture Filtering
* Bicubic Scaling
* Lanczos Scaling
-
* Blended Bloom (6 different blend types)
* HDR Scene Tone Mapping (4 different operator types)
* Color Correction (5 colorspace types)
* Cross Processing (3 conversion types)
* Post-Complement Colour Grading
* Gamma Correction Curve
* Pixel Vibrance Adjustment
* Texture Unsharp Mask
* Contrast Enhancement
* Px Cel Shading
* Paint Shading
-
* Sub-pixel Dithering
* Scanline Emulation
* Vignette Effect
* Pixel Border

With a plethora of options for them.

If you want to see diffs of the changes: here's the settings, and here's the shader changes.

Note: that this isn't ready for OGL, yet. Just D3D.

Finally, here's the link: removed

Enjoy =)
Code:
//#[ANTIALIASING TECHNIQUES]   [1=ON|0=OFF]  #READ: For best results: Use gsdx fx antialiasing OR filtering. Not both together.
#define UHQ_FXAA                    1      //# High Quality Fast Approximate Anti Aliasing. If GSdx's internal FXAA is also enabled, this equals FXAA2x.[3D]

//#[FS SCALING TECHNIQUES]    [1=ON|0=OFF]  #READ: For best results: Only enable one type of filtering at one time. Use post antialiasing OR FS filtering, not both.
#define BILINEAR_FILTERING          0     //# Bilinear Fullscreen Texture Filtering. BiLinear filtering - light to medium filtering of textures.[2D]
#define BICUBIC_FILTERING           0     //# Bicubic Fullscreen Texture Filtering. BiCubic filtering - medium to strong filtering of textures.[2D]
#define GAUSSIAN_FILTERING          0     //# Gaussian Fullscreen Texture Filtering. Gaussian filtering - strong to extra strong filtering of textures.[2D]
#define BICUBLIC_SCALER             0     //# Bicubic Interpolation Scaling. Uses BCS on up scaling, and downsampling of games, for smoother scaling.
#define LANCZOS_SCALER              0     //# Lanczos Interpolation Scaling. Uses Lanczos on up scaling, and downsampling of games for smoother scaling.

//#[LIGHTING & COLOUR]         [1=ON|0=OFF]  #READ: These can all be turned on & off independently of each other. [For High Dynamic Range(HDR) use Bloom & Tonemapping together]
#define BLENDED_BLOOM               1      //# High Quality SP Bloom. Soft lighting with blending techniques, for a natural looking bloom.
#define SCENE_TONEMAPPING           1      //# HDR Scene Tonemapping. Layered component conversion, and applies scene tone mapping.
#define COLOR_CORRECTION            0      //# Component Color Correction. Colorspace conversion, with correction curves, and multiple palette types.
#define CROSS_PROCESSING            0      //# Filmic Cross Processing. Alters the tone of the scene, crossing the game's color set, with another.
#define GAMMA_CORRECTION            1      //# RGB Gamma Correction. Fixed expansion to variable compression gamma correction curve.
#define PIXEL_VIBRANCE              1      //# Pixel Vibrance. Intelligently adjusts pixel vibrance depending on original color saturation.
#define COLOR_GRADING               0      //# Post-Complement Colour Grading. Alters individual colour components on a scene, to enhance selected colour tones.
#define TEXTURE_SHARPEN             1      //# Bicubic Texture Unsharpen Mask. Looks similar to a negative texture LOD bias. Enhances texture fidelity.
#define CURVE_CONTRAST              1      //# S-Curve Scene Contrast Enhancement. Locally adjusts contrast using a four-point cubic bezier spline.
#define CEL_SHADING                 0      //# PX Cel Shading. Simulates the look of animation/toon. Typically best suited for animated style games.
#define PAINT_SHADING               0      //# Paint Shading. Creates the effect of a painted scene. Adapted from ENB series, it's pretty performance heavy.

//#[TV EMU TECHNIQUES]         [1=ON|0=OFF]  #READ: These can all be turned on & off independently of each other. These effects are typically used to simulated older TVs/CRT etc.
#define SCANLINES                   0     //# Scanlines to simulate the look of a CRT TV. Typically suited to sprite games. Note: Works best at Native Res.
#define VIGNETTE                    0     //# Darkens the edges of the screen, to make it look more like it was shot with a camera lens.
#define SP_DITHERING                1     //# Subpixel Dithering to simulate more colors than your monitor can display. Smoothes gradiants, this can reduce color banding.
#define PX_BORDER                   1     //# Creates a pixel border, as a workaround for the bright edge that using hardware antialiasing(MSAA) can cause. (Ported by request from SFX).

Above are my settings I always use from revision to revision, I pretty much use the same scene in xenosaga 2 to do my comparisons. cant see much if any difference from last revision to this one.

I tried Paint_Shading
cant say I like it remind me to much of what xBR looks like, that is indeed a heavy shader turn it on and off form it being off first time has good 2 second lag time before it on.

Also tried COLOR_CORRECTION & CROSS_PROCESSING

Again cant say i see difference with it on and off or maybe i just looking in wrong place.

What i can say is i love your shader and work you do it. All game just look bland and less colorful/vibrate with out the above settings, as such this shader is always on