Custom aspect ratio?
if the game have such a freak AR it should have some options to optimize it Smile

Sponsored links

Err... You mean the aspect ratio as determined by the internal resolution? Why would you want that? The games were designed to be displayed in either 4:3 or 16:9... so even if the resolution doesn't match that aspect ratio, that's how they were designed to be displayed.

(edit) Not to mention how screwed up this will look for certain games that use half-width... such as Front Mission 4.
[Image: 2748844.png]
(08-30-2011, 11:43 PM)Koji Wrote: Err... You mean the aspect ratio as determined by the internal resolution? Why would you want that? The games were designed to be displayed in either 4:3 or 16:9... so even if the resolution doesn't match that aspect ratio, that's how they were designed to be displayed.

(edit) Not to mention how screwed up this will look for certain games that use half-width... such as Front Mission 4.

I can verify from actual evidence that the correct SAR is 1.43:1 in this case. Circles appear slightly non-circular at 1.33:1, and I took measurements of output on real PS2 to my LCD TV. I couldn't really explain why though; perhaps someone who understands the PS2's video output and/or the emulator better could.
What game? can you please post screenshots at 4:3 and 16:9?
(08-31-2011, 02:35 AM)avih Wrote: What game? can you please post screenshots at 4:3 and 16:9?

Game is Final Fantasy X International. 4:3 emu shot is attached.

Note that the circle over the character arrow on the minimap (top left corner) is not a circle. On hardware, it is a circle.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

games with no widescreen option will always look bogus in 16:9. there's no way changing that.

the general and cheap way is to cut of the top and bottom in gsdx but it shrinks the actual size of the picture.

general offtopic:
if you're hardcodre you'd change the actual game code to fix that. it's a lota work to figure that out for every scene in the game so you could write cheats for setting up another projection matrix to have that effect but usually you loose geometry information at the borders, cause of view frustum calculation. which is why it's pointless. if you'd be smart you'd change the view angles to compensate that but you'd end up recompiling any vertex program in ps2 programming language to have that anyway. Biggrin
You can control vertical zoom using CTRL+ALT+ numpad-plus/minus/* - effectively changing the AR, and overall zoom via the GUI or using CTRL+ numpad-plus/minus/*.

Note, however, that the vertical zoom value is not saved when you close pcsx2 (it's a semi-official feature), so you'll have to re-apply it manually every time you need it.