DNAS Bypass
So, as most of you know, Sony took down DNAS servers back in 2016 rendering PS2 online functionality officially unavailable. There are, however, means to bypass DNAS by either patching the game itself or using replacement servers. Additionally, there are also replacement GameSpy servers (OpenSpy) for games that used to use this service for matchmaking. Problem is, while there are plenty of GameSpy games that could potentially use these servers, not all of these games are supported by DNAS replacement servers rendering it a roadblock.

I was wondering if it's possible to use pnach patches to bypass DNAS entirely to play these games and if someone's here capable of making such patches.

Detailed list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...edit#gid=0
Notice games which have GameSpy as online service but also have "NO/NO/NO" in "DNAS Replacement" column.

Some DNAS bypass codes can be found here: http://www.ps2onlinegaming.com/viewtopic...=10&t=1999

Sponsored links

The main method for playing PS2 games online nowadays is a program called Xlink Kai which re establishes online functionality to nearly all PS2 games with a LAN function and allows you to play those games publically with full servers of 16 players from all around the world. One such game and personal favorite of mine is Call of Duty 2 Big Red One.
(03-27-2018, 11:40 PM)[]HP[]Hawkeye Wrote: The main method for playing PS2 games online nowadays is a program called Xlink Kai which re establishes online functionality to nearly all PS2 games with a LAN function and allows you to play those games publically with full servers of 16 players from all around the world. One such game and personal favorite of mine is Call of Duty 2 Big Red One.

That sure is a nice thing to have but not all PS2 games support LAN play. Other ways need to be found for them. Examples would be FlatOut dilogy and Serious Sam: Next Encounter.
Bump.
Is nobody at all interested in this? Even for the sake of preservation?
It's a really niche thing so most peeps wouldn't have any interest. I feel you though, I would love to play Killzone and Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain online again, but neither had LAN support and nobody is interested enough to use a hacky solution to rectify it. I know it was done for Metal Gear Online and Resident Evil Outbreak.
I don't know the technical specifications behind this but assuming DNAS served as the PS2's equivalent of a matchmaking server. If the DNAS server addresses are hard coded into the game or PS2 as domain names, what's stopping someone from doing some DNS redirection and pointing them to a third party DNAS?
(03-30-2018, 01:44 PM)pandubz Wrote: I don't know the technical specifications behind this but assuming DNAS served as the PS2's equivalent of a matchmaking server.

Incorrect, DNAS served as an anti-tampering system of sorts for protection against cheating and piracy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNAS

(03-30-2018, 01:44 PM)pandubz Wrote: If the DNAS server addresses are hard coded into the game or PS2 as domain names, what's stopping someone from doing some DNS redirection and pointing them to a third party DNAS?

That's exactly what was done as I described in OP but community DNAS servers don't support every game and from what I've gathered it's no longer possible to add support for more games to the emulator since you need the original DNAS servers to grab the right packets.
Ah I see now, fundamental misunderstanding on my part. But I did check that site you linked and yeah a pnach would totally work as long as you have the codes in the right format. If I remember correctly the format isn't quite the same as say, straight up GameShark codes, but there's a conversion process and as long as you have the code, you should be able to do it.
Bump. Still wondering if anyone's interested in making patches for this. I'm primarily interested in Serious Sam: Next Encounter and FlatOut games.
I believe I can do this but need to find some free time first. Sad