DS4Windows - J2K
I'm tearing my hair out trying to get DS4Windows to work with Steam In-Home Streaming. I wanted to stream emulated Mario Kart from my gaming rig to play on the TV with my nephew. The problem is that Steam's native DS4 support makes the joysticks unusable in non-steam games since they move the cursor around and circle is hardbound to esc. If I use DS4Windows to remap the buttons to keyboard keys, the steam controller detection overrides this. Steam has a setting to disable the controller upon exiting Big Picture mode. When doing this as well as remapping the controller buttons to keyboard keys, Steam still can tell that the keyboard prompts come from a controller and blocks them out.

EDIT: I have tried remapping to Xbox buttons instead of keyboard keys and it's exactly the same result.

EDIT2: Hiding the controller within the options of DS4Windows makes Steam pick it up as an Xinput controller and it behaves exactly the same as before.

Solution: Turns out that it was because Steam added mouse and keyboard emulation a while back with no way to disable it. It should automatically disable when you launch a game, but it's wonky with games that use launchers. In Dolphin, go to Graphics and check "Render to main window". With PCSX2, launch it with the flags --fullscreen and --nogui. Your controller should now work.

Sponsored links

Apparently when i map at a button which is Left Shift, Left Control, Left Alt will bind to the right version instead of the left, how do i fix this?
Hello everyone!
First I would like to congratulate everyone working on this project, nice work!
My question is, in your opinion, is it worth it to get a DS4 and use DS4Windows over buying a Xbox One S controller? (I don't own a PS4, I just want a good PC controller)

I made the pros and cons of each one but I still have some questions:

DS4:
1) Is it working really well? I mean, no deadzones or precision loss? I used to use my old DS3 to play on PC through DS3 SCP program but it was really strange in some games like NFS Most Wanted and NFS 2015. It was almost impossible to control the car (and I am a hardcore racing game player, so I know how to control a car. I use my wheel to play simulators and gamepads to play arcade racers like NFS). The problem was the steering with the analog sticks, they felt really strange and slow, like I would turn left and release the stick after the turn and the car would continue going left for some time unless I turn the stick right). It was fine on all other games though, maybe the problem were the games themselves.

2) If I buy the Sony adapter for PC, will I be able to use it to enable the P2 port in it on PC through DS4Windows? Or this feature is not supported yet?

Xbox One S Controller:
+ Nice and plug N play compatibility.
- Need the adapter to use the P2 connection.
- I hate the batteries, so I would have to spent a lot for the charger kit (here in Brazil, both accessories are very expensive, and I almost can get the DS4 + it's adapter for almost the same price of the Xbox One S controller alone)

So, what would you suggest?
If the Xbox One accessories were cheaper, I would probably buy one, unless I could use the DS4's P2 port on PC through Sony's adapter.
Is it possible to allow profile assignment by hardware/bluetooth id instead of order in which the controllers are connected? I have differently colored controllers i'd like to assign special profiles to. Currently it seems these have to be connected in a particular order to retain their profiles.
Yikes, deleted the hell out of that, I wanted to just use it to test out my left stick since I was having issues on The Last Guardian and both times I tried to use it the whole system froze, never even gave me a BSOD, just a flat out full stop.
Double post.
Hi Everyone,

Many thanks to the dev for this great app.  I have been using it for months.. and we'll keep using it even though Steam has decided to natively support PS4 controllers.

Indeed, Steam PS4 controllers support  only works on Steam games. If I want to play non Steam games from inside Steam, the PS4 controller will NOT work.

Since I am running Steam in "Shell mode" (search the internets for "Boot Windows directly into Steam Big Picture EXCLUSIVELY"), I couldn't automatically start DS4Windows along with Steam. This is why I had the idea to create a simple script in order to run both DS4Windows AND Steam in Windows shell mode. So that I can turn my PC into a real device.

PHP Code:
@echo off
cd C
:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\
start Steam.exe
CD C
:\Apps\DS4Windows
START DS4Windows
.exe
EXIT 

NB : Change paths according to your configuration

Do not forget to disable PS4 support in Steam.
Finally, instead of setting the Shell string in Regedit to the path of Steam. You'll set it to the path of your own script.

I am really happy with my small script and want to share it with others in the same situation as I were. If you need more help, feel fre to post a comment on my website, in order to avoid out of topic conversation here.
(12-24-2016, 08:18 PM)Nesousx Wrote: Hi Everyone,

Many thanks to the dev for this great app.  I have been using it for months.. and we'll keep using it even though Steam has decided to natively support PS4 controllers.

Indeed, Steam PS4 controllers support  only works on Steam games. If I want to play non Steam games from inside Steam, the PS4 controller will NOT work.

Since I am running Steam in "Shell mode" (search the internets for "Boot Windows directly into Steam Big Picture EXCLUSIVELY"), I couldn't automatically start DS4Windows along with Steam. This is why I had the idea to create a simple script in order to run both DS4Windows AND Steam in Windows shell mode. So that I can turn my PC into a real device.

PHP Code:
@echo off
cd C
:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\
start Steam.exe
CD C
:\Apps\DS4Windows
START DS4Windows
.exe
EXIT 

NB : Change paths according to your configuration

Do not forget to disable PS4 support in Steam.
Finally, instead of setting the Shell string in Regedit to the path of Steam. You'll set it to the path of your own script.

I am really happy with my small script and want to share it with others in the same situation as I were. If you need more help, feel fre to post a comment on my website, in order to avoid out of topic conversation here.

Nice idea Nesoux!
It looks like it works fine.
Can you just help me finding the steam location in regedit? I can't find it...
Actually, my steam is not installed on my main drive, witch is C, it's installed on my E drive, whitch I use only for Steam, so I don't have to download all my games again if I need to format the PC.
I don't know if this changes where steam is on regedit, but I couldn't find it.
Can you tell me where is the standart location?
Thank you!
I used to use DS4Windows and had no problems until I "upgraded" to Windoze 10...

After that the program refused to work for me. Since then I've been forced to use the SCHPToolkit. While this is fine I'm stuck using the controller with a USB cable... Sad

I was wondering if DS4Windows now works properly with Win 10?
(12-28-2016, 06:05 PM)LexSombra Wrote: Nice idea Nesoux!
It looks like it works fine.
Can you just help me finding the steam location in regedit? I can't find it...
Actually, my steam is not installed on my main drive, witch is C, it's installed on my E drive, whitch I use only for Steam, so I don't have to download all my games again if I need to format the PC.
I don't know if this changes where steam is on regedit, but I couldn't find it.
Can you tell me where is the standart location?
Thank you!

Hi LexSombra,

Thanks for the feedback. If you installed Steam inside the E: disk, is might be something like E:\Steam\Steam.exe

When creating the Shell.bat script, just replace the default Steam path by yours, eg.

Code:
@echo off
cd E:\Steam\
start Steam.exe
CD C:\Apps\DS4Windows
START DS4Windows.exe
EXIT

In order to check the "real" path of your Steam, just open he WIndows explorer and browse to the location of your Steam installation, and click inside the top bar, aka navigation bar. It'll highlight the path.

I hope it helps. Smile

On a side note, you can install Steam in the default location "C:" drive, and only change the Steam library folder in case of reinstall / format. Then you just have to install Steam again and point it to our Steam library on the "E:" drive. But you solution work the same, it is even better, cause you don't have to reinstall Steam manually. You just run it and everything will be done automagically at first run.

@Hot Violet,

DS4Windows runs without any issue for me on Windows 10, and has been doing so for months. IIRC, there was a issue with DS4Windows and Windows 10 at the very begining of Windows 10. This is long gone.

However, lately, I had a few issues since Steam rolled out the Official PS4 controller support. It made things worse... And depending on what games you play, you might have to turn off DS4Windows and turn on Steam support, or the opposite. This is really frustrating and makes my little tweak (a few post above) useless in my case. But again, it highly game specific. I am ashamed to say it, but it made me buy an Xbox one controller... Sad