DX12 Support in PCSX2
I came here to see if this was going to be a thing, and decided to register so i could share my experience.

DX12 actually IS a big jump for emulation, i use both Dolphin and PCSX2 and actually have about three Dolphin branches in my PC. The performance from the DX12 one is insane.

I'm not going to talk about framerates but general performance, playing Zelda Twilight Princess and Mario Galaxy in my rig (FX4350+HD7770+4GB DDR3) at 1080p+full speed without slowdowns is actually possible, even the troublesome Twilight Princess' Hyrule field runs flawlessly, Sky Crawlers gained about 10 fps (now near full speed for me) and Mario Sunshine runs smooth too (Delfino plaza is a nightmare on the master and Ishiiruka branches)

This may seem insane with a full low profile AMD PC, but i actually use PCSX2 and while the performance gets improvements from time to time, DX12 would actually help the emulator a lot.

Sponsored links

For sure you're the best client Wink Slow amd processor and slow amd drivers. New api will help but again PCSX2 has severals issues (accuracy/perf) to be fixed first.
(12-25-2015, 12:29 PM)gregory Wrote: For sure you're the best client Wink Slow amd processor and slow amd drivers. New api will help but again PCSX2 has severals issues (accuracy/perf) to be fixed first.

Well, you're right, but Crimsom have actually fixed some issues in terms of speed, i'm one of the lucky folks with an outdated GPU that actually support those new drivers xD

I won't deny PCSX2 issues needs to be fixed first (ffs i play Lament of Innocence widescreen full speed - aside elemental boss battles - but Saint Seiya Hades Sanctuary chokes my poor PC) but whenever it's possible it would be godly to see DX12 implemented on PCSX2. As far as my experience goes, the performance gains are worth the effort.
(12-24-2015, 01:49 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: That's not true. Dolphin is more GPU demanding yes, but it's CPU demands are pretty close to PCSX2.

I aregree with u saniral!

ps. i am still hear lurkin in are shadows lookin at are sebsite! i like what u have done in u pic (blue is sexy in u) an i will not give up on u i will try again i will give u tht etime u need

u are my bliss Laugh i draem about u every nig an i it is xmas now an i hope u have had the good time an had u turtkey an some drink (but dont drink to much or men will tr to take the advantages!!! tell me an i will got them for u) we will speak agairn on new year!

paddy (me)
be gone scrub. BLYSS IS MINE! AIN'T NOBODY TAKIN MY MAN!
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
(12-25-2015, 12:52 PM)Depressed Osaka Wrote: Well, you're right, but Crimsom have actually fixed some issues in terms of speed, i'm one of the lucky folks with an outdated GPU that actually support those new drivers xD

I won't deny PCSX2 issues needs to be fixed first (ffs i play Lament of Innocence widescreen full speed - aside elemental boss battles - but Saint Seiya Hades Sanctuary chokes my poor PC) but whenever it's possible it would be godly to see DX12 implemented on PCSX2. As far as my experience goes, the performance gains are worth the effort.

I don't think you can share your experience with DX12 on PCSX2 Wink    

I don't say that new API won't help to improve performance. But why do you think Saint Seiya is limited by old API and not by texture conversion or texture transfer for example? Well in your case, due to AMD poor driver, you will have a speed boost no matter what.  But it would be better idea to ask vehemently AMD to improve their driver (instead to push the said driver in the application space). AKA 1 stone thousands of birds Wink
Why the great dolphin ?
Why Dolphin is the best current emu
They always try to get new ones, change
and development
PCSX 2 will not DX 12, because they do not have to Dolphin
Because if yes, now PCSX 2 was comparable to Dolphin
Sorry, I Bag Eng !
(12-28-2015, 04:07 PM)n1dminhd Wrote: Why the great dolphin ?
Why Dolphin is the best current emu
Because Dolphin is alone on the race Wink

I have fixed various effects on GSdx (openGL) in the past year. I have hundreds of testcase of rendering issue on my SSD. So far, I only found a couple of games that would love a DX12/vulkan port (again only for perf). 99% of them don't need DX12/vulkan. IMHO, it would be better to fix 99% of the rendering issue rather improving the speed of a couple of games (new hardware might make the latter useless anyway).

Otherwise if people really want something new, I have some code to accelerate EE emulation. However it requires a CPU with BMI2 (Intel only, and at least Haswell). We could also limit GSdx to the latest openGL extension (Nvidia only, and at least Maxwell). Time to save money Wink Or we could stay this way and support "mainstream" users.
(12-28-2015, 04:52 PM)gregory Wrote: Because Dolphin is alone on the race Wink

I have fixed various effects on GSdx (openGL) in the past year. I have hundreds of testcase of rendering issue on my SSD. So far, I only found a couple of games that would love a DX12/vulkan port (again only for perf). 99% of them don't need DX12/vulkan. IMHO, it would be better to fix 99% of the rendering issue rather improving the speed of a couple of games (new hardware might make the latter useless anyway).

Otherwise if people really want something new, I have some code to accelerate EE emulation. However it requires a CPU with BMI2 (Intel only, and at least Haswell). We could also limit GSdx to the latest openGL extension (Nvidia only, and at least Maxwell). Time to save money Wink Or we could stay this way and support "mainstream" users.

ok
I get it, looking forward to better pcsx2
Sorry, I Bag eng !
(12-28-2015, 04:52 PM)gregory Wrote: So far, I only found a couple of games that would love a DX12/vulkan port (again only for perf). 99% of them don't need DX12/vulkan.

In other words, DirectX 12/Vulkan is pretty much useless for PCSX2. Did you actually test it or just calculate it?