DX12 Support in PCSX2
This morning Dolphin emu has just recived dx12 support and games perfomance increased 60% in most of the games even 180%. It would be a very interesting thing to have dx12  support in pcsx2. my question is, how is it going so far? Are there any important news of future proyects with the new microsoft api support? thanks.

Sponsored links

I don't think there are any ideas on using DX12 , It's most likely that gabest will implement it as usual when he has some free time. I think DX12 is only specific for Windows 10 ? making it limited to only a few portion of the users and harder for developers to maintain the renderers.
(12-21-2015, 02:31 PM)ArturoH4L Wrote: This morning Dolphin emu has just recived dx12 support and games perfomance increased 60% in most of the games even 180%. It would be a very interesting thing to have dx12  support in pcsx2. my question is, how is it going so far? Are there any important news of future proyects with the new microsoft api support? thanks.

that could be useful for the few GPU demanding games.
but since most emulated games under pcsx2 are cpu demanding, the performance gain would be neglictable.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
There are no plans for dx12 AFAIK, however the main - only? - active gs developer is a linux user, so if any API will be used, it will most likely be Vulkan. It is cross-platform, so Linux and OSX, and it will make a mobile port MUCH easier if someone decided to do it one day.

Of course, gabest could pop up any day and just throw in a dx12 port, but don't hold your breath, since this isn't as simple as the dx11 upgrade, a lot of things need to be rewritten to take advantage of the new API. But you never know with gabest, hes's like an ultimate rare drop in an rpg Ninja , a nice surprise that comes when you least expect it, then you won't see again for a while.

(12-21-2015, 03:20 PM)jesalvein Wrote: that could be useful for the few GPU demanding games.
but since most emulated games under pcsx2 are cpu demanding, the performance gain would be neglictable.

No, it's the opposite. One of the main points of Vulkan and dx12 is to optimize the CPU multi-threading usage, so applications that are CPU bound will see an increase in performance, while GPU bound ones will see almost no improvement.

Actually, the new API's seem like an ideal choice for PS2 emulation with its insane number of draw calls, and it being CPU bound.
dx12, vulkan.. either of it. the thing is it would be very good to have a low level api for the ps2 emulation..
I asked about the future of DX12 on PCSX2 when it came out. Good on the Dolphin boys for implementing it and seeing such a big improvement. I hope we can do that for PCSX2
CPU: Intel i5-8400 2.8 GHz (4.0 GHz Turbo)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 Gaming OC (6 GB)
RAM: Ripjaws V Series, 2x8 GB DDR4 (2666 MHz)
Motherboard: GIGABYTE B360M D3H
Power supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550 W
(12-21-2015, 06:46 PM)NoleNation Wrote: I asked about the future of DX12 on PCSX2 when it came out. Good on the Dolphin boys for implementing it and seeing such a big improvement. I hope we can do that for PCSX2

unless I'm wrong the changes aren't merged yet : https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/pull/3364
(12-21-2015, 06:55 PM)ssakash Wrote: unless I'm wrong the changes aren't merged yet : https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/pull/3364

Yeah I know some guy is experimenting with it on this forum page

https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-un...12-backend

Read through the comments. A lot of people are having major performance boosts and reduced cpu usage in many games. This is awesome for emulation in general.
CPU: Intel i5-8400 2.8 GHz (4.0 GHz Turbo)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 Gaming OC (6 GB)
RAM: Ripjaws V Series, 2x8 GB DDR4 (2666 MHz)
Motherboard: GIGABYTE B360M D3H
Power supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550 W
(12-21-2015, 02:50 PM)ssakash Wrote: I think DX12 is only specific for Windows 10 ? making it limited to only a few portion of the users and harder for developers to maintain the renderers.

Currently about 10% of users are using Windows 10 and that's a quite lot. The usage share will increase over time. Regarding the maintenance, it shouldn't be an issue as PCSX2 uses a plugin architecture; you can create a new plugin that uses Direct3D 12 and it will be isolated from other components. Also, there haven't been any major changes to the Direct3D 9 and Direct3D 11 renderers in quite a while.
(12-21-2015, 07:13 PM)xemnas99 Wrote: Currently about 10% of users are using Windows 10 and that's a quite lot. The usage share will increase over time. Regarding the maintenance, it shouldn't be an issue as PCSX2 uses a plugin architecture; you can create a new plugin that uses Direct3D 12 and it will be isolated from other components. Also, there haven't been any major changes to the Direct3D 9 and Direct3D 11 renderers in quite a while.

Yes, im 99% shure that a new dx12 plugin will be released soon, not only that, i know aswell theres gona be a huge improvement and perfomance increase and all games are gona run hardcore Laugh.