DX12 Support in PCSX2
(12-23-2015, 02:30 AM)dogen Wrote: It'll depend on the game probably. Gregory is probably the most knowledgeable about this, but I think there might be some games that swamp the graphics driver with draw calls.

draw calls? mhh... get buffered. what's ***** is alpha blending and some render state switches. some blends could be baked into an attribute stream. while others need a flush and reset of the render states. isn't most of that implemented already tho?!?

Sponsored links

unless i read dx12 wrong the low API drivers is mostly for the GPU in reducing the cpu over heard from the gpu drivers, so reduce its CPU over head isnt gona magically reduce the CPU usages of something, that is done cpu anyway it just gonna give nominal amount of cpu power back, the Multi thread function of the API to use 6 cores will surely help on PC side of things, but PCSX2 dont use more then 2 cores 3 if MTVU is enabled.

Unless pcsx2 suddenly becomes aware or more then 3 cores and actual uses all the cores you have to do the work, i dont see how DX12 would help much, other then draw call on DX12 being fore Superior to dx 11 the multi core ablity of DX 12 is point less if pcsx2 dont use more then 2 anyway, unless DX12 magicly make program/engine suddenly multi thread aware.

Then again i could be wrong i not program this from limited understand from what i read of it, i do know devs have said before in the other DX12 topics it wont help as much people think it will
ehh. what? dx12 is not entirely useless for pcsx2. you gotta know how and where to plug it tho.

parallel things are texture conversion with compute shaders and sync. and it can do the crtc merge async while starting a new frame. come on. it could do it. Smile
like said though look at the countless other DX 12 threads dev already said it wont as much as  people think it will and it will nominal gains at best,  it was even said again first page

(12-21-2015, 03:20 PM)jesalvein Wrote: that could be useful for the few GPU demanding games.
but since most emulated games under pcsx2 are cpu demanding, the performance gain would be neglictable.

Unless people know some the devs dont know about, it just wishfull thinking, besides it not gona happen less gabest does it and which reqiuires him to go to windows 10 first, then get urge to do so, which those urges seem to few and between to improve DX
(12-23-2015, 03:13 AM)tsunami2311 Wrote: unless i read dx12 wrong the low API drivers is mostly for the GPU in reducing the cpu over heard from the gpu drivers, so reduce its CPU over head isnt gona magically reduce the CPU usages of something, that is done cpu anyway it just gonna give nominal amount of cpu power back, the Multi thread function of the API to use  6 cores will surely help on PC side of things, but PCSX2 dont use more then 2 cores 3 if MTVU is enabled.

I don't understand what you mean. Isn't reducing the CPU overhead the same thing as reducing the CPU usage? The driver can use more than 2 or 3 threads. It has nothing to do with PCSX2. The driver doesn't look at the executable file name and say, "Oh, pcsx2.exe. I'll use only 2 threads then."

(12-23-2015, 04:16 AM)tsunami2311 Wrote: like said though look at the countless other DX 12 threads dev already said it wont as much as people think it will and it will nominal gains at best, it was even said again first page

I believe you are mistaken. Who said the gain would be nominal at best? Also, jesalvein isn't a developer.

(12-23-2015, 04:16 AM)tsunami2311 Wrote: Unless people know some the devs dont know about, it just wishfull thinking, besides it not gona happen less gabest does it and which reqiuires him to go to windows 10 first, then get urge to do so, which those urges seem to few and between to improve DX

He isn't the only one who can do this.
reducing the CPU over headed on the GPU side of things isnt gona give any meaningfull power back to the cpu. imo

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Waiting-f...ort?page=5

this been discussed to death in multi thread, all wind up closed. surprised this one is still open

Also last i checked Gregory is really the only person actively working the GSDX side things, and exclusive OPENGL he mentions he wont bother with DX too considering he is the one wanting to improve OPENGL
Read the thread, you're the only one talking about the driver overhead, and keep repeating it with yourself for some reason. And don't put words in peoples mouths, gregory said he will wait for a real benchmark - especially from dolphin -, and if the dolphin's dx12 is as big of an improvement as they say it is, then I say he got what he wanted.

Anyway, Vulkan is not even out, so nothing from gregory yet, and gabest doesn't even have win10, so he's out too. And there isn't anyone else working on it. So no, PCSX2 won't support any new API anytime soon.
I think this discussion leads nowhere as we all can only guess and nobody has real knowledge. We will hopefully/probably see how everything evolves under dx12/vulkan.

Also one should always keep in mind that implementation is the key. A very good coder with bad environment/driver might be able to produce better code than a bad dev under best conditions.

So maybe we continue this discussion in one year and all get shadow banned by jesalvein becaise of necroing?
(12-23-2015, 11:39 PM)willkuer Wrote: I think this discussion leads nowhere as we all can only guess and nobody has real knowledge.

True, not even the devs, one the main dolphin devs said dx12 will be useless, and look how it turned out.

[Image: 5o2Hn11.png]

[Image: LB4h61V.png] (Man, AMD's ogl drivers are junk)

It's a new tool that people - even experienced developers - will need to play around with, and trying new things before knowing for sure.
Ahh.. These graphs. Nice. Original excel 2015?
Blue bars stick to 100% without reference what that means. No errors, no min, no max.
Never trust graphics that you didnt manipulate by yourself.

I think mentioning the devs here is absolutely valid. If this tool is really completely different than everything before you might need to implement it completely different.
However i start again with some pseudo knowledge and will stop it now before we start the next useless discussion.