Dev question: Releasing a PCSX2 mod?
rama was the first person to post here, and is one of the devs

Sponsored links

(11-13-2014, 09:31 PM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: It looks kinda like PS2dis running inside PCSX2... It seems useful. PCSX2 is open source, so technically there is nothing stopping you from releasing it. Although it's nice that you asked first. As long as you include some kind of disclaimer that we (the PCSX2 team) do not provide support for it, and make it clear that it's not made by the main PCSX2 guys, I think it's fine.

PCSX2 is Open Source, but is PS2dis?
Not sure. But from what I gathered from this thread, he didn't use PS2dis in his code, rather he just based his program on what it does and looks like.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Yeah, this is kind of ps2dis' interface used with my own code, updated wherever I feel something could be easier to use. It doesn't use ps2dis' source, but it's more than inspired by Hanimar's work; and I'll give credit where credit is due, 'specially since ps2dis was an awesome tool =)

I'm cool with giving a disclaimer of err unofficialness, and also don't mind releasing the source to the whole thing. I'm really casual about the tool and have really just created it to make code hacking easier for those interested in the subject -- including myself. =P I've used it to find a few debug menus already (Persona 3+4, Ratchet & Clank), as well as fix Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly's compatibility issue without even knowing what really caused it. I have a lot of confidence in this tool; I think it could bring a big boost in the code-finding scene! =)

Thanks for the help so far, it's looking like it'll at least be worth a shot putting it here. Hoping also that it'll get more people interested in finding secrets in their favourite games!
So you are the one who fixed Spyro, and you did it with this tool? That's pretty sweet.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
please post it. I would love to get my hands on it and see what needs fixing for spyro
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
Maybe you should apply to help developing PCSX2 somehow as part of the team. What I think is the best course if going to dabble with the core code or plugin development. I really don't know how it works for a single contribution which could lead to branching the project if successful.

From what I understood from your report, that's not really a case of homebrew addition.
Imagination is where we are truly real
Pretty interesting. It does overlap quite a bit with the new debugger (http://puu.sh/cQgi3/1dcf5ca634.png), but why don't you send the other features as a pull request to the GitHub repository?
^ Kingcom made that debugger recently and yea, I also think this addition could be part of PCSX2. It appears useful to find and fix issues, as well as create "simple cheats" Smile
Create a Github account, take 5 semesters on how git works, and contribute! Smile

Edit:
Oh, and regarding your original question: As long as you provide the source code or your changes in some form, you can release your tool, of course.
Feel free to do so in our homebrew section here Smile
Awesome! Thanks for the green-light, I'm looking forward to releasing it ASAP in its current mostly-stable state ("mostly-stable", the words of a true hacker =P). Hopefully will be able to pull together those in a few days =)

Regarding what some of you said about contributing to the main source, I really appreciate the proposal, but I want to give it a pass for now. Please don't be offended; I'm just super-super casual about programming, and this project in general; I just want to share it because it could definitely be handy for people besides me. But I don't mind at all if any of you guys and gals from the dev team ever would like to implement my code (or even heavily changed or rewritten code) into the main system. =)

Also, just a little forewarning; the tool's stable ("mostly" =P) but the code is really messy. I kind of pulled it together over a few years during those impulsive hacking moments late at night after a long day. =P It changed a lot as I grew up. I'll make sure I include all the details when I've written the main topic, we'll see where it goes from there!

Thanks again for all your help guys/gals; my questions are solved. See y'all in a new topic soon =D

P.S @Kingcom: The debugger you mentioned looks pretty cool; I wasn't expecting there to be one so full-featured already! It does look pretty similar; I guess the main difference is how my interface is more familiar to ps2dis users. Might be interesting to make a proper comparison when mine's out and see if a merger would be a good idea =)