Dev question: Releasing a PCSX2 mod?
Hey all,

I'm new to this community, but been hacking PS2 games for a long time, often with PCSX2 help. Recently, being bored of the old slow methods of ps2dis and patch files, I recently made a cool new tool/mod for PCSX2 that I really want to get out and show to all the game hackers/aspiring game hackers out there. I feel this forum would be a good place, but I have some worries so I wanna ask a few questions:

- When releasing a PCSX2 mod, does licensing require that I release the entire source code, or can I just release the source files that I changed (not many)?
- Would the Tools/Applications/Homebrew forum be an appropriate place for a PCSX2 tool that requires a modded version of pcsx2.exe? If not, could an exception be made if I explained more? Basically I'm hoping to release a something that I feel is really cool, and the Tools/Applications/Homebrew section seems like almoooost the perfect place, I just haven't seen any actual PCSX2 EXE mods there so as a forum n00b I think I'd better lean on the safe side.

Tips on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks =)

Sponsored links

It might help if you said what "it" is Wink
(11-13-2014, 05:25 PM)LXShadow Wrote: Hey all,

I recently made a cool new tool/mod for PCSX2 that I really want to get out and show to all the game hackers/aspiring game hackers out there.

care to explain ,what type of tool or mod you are mentioning about Smile
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
Heya,

Er, probably should've mentioned that first. =P It's a tool for making GameShark/AR style cheat codes with PCSX2 while the game is running. We've seen some similar things before, but mine is a kind of familiar take (based on ps2dis, a very popular PS2 hacking tool), and upgraded to be as easy as possible to use. Here's what it looks like. It's basically a hacking tool with lots of features =)

Thanks for the prompt responses =>
What is the advantage over the pnach system, cheat engine or gameshark codes?
I am not so into asm and debugger to understand it on the fly.
could you describe it a little better on how it works Smile
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
Hey, sure thing, here goes:

- The program is the most useful for people who are into ASM hacking, yeah. But I reckon people who don't know it will be able to learn it much more easily, because you can set it up to freeze the game on a read or write from a memory area. e.g, if you know how to use a memory scanner to find a code, you can set up a "breakpoint" using the code's address. Whenever the game tries to change the value of the code, the emulator will freeze and you can find out instantly which line of ASM did it. ASM hacking can be really easy to learn this way; for example, if you change the ASM line to a nop, you've just disabled one of the parts of the game that changed the value. Easy!
- This program includes a memory scanner too =)
- There's also a code list that accepts some of the main types of AR/GS codes in RAW format. You cacn type them in, click Update and then they're activated, simple as that.
- You can easily change any game text values with this as well, and generate+activate RAW codes for them automatically
- You can tentatively change the value of any address in memory just by double-clicking on it in the list shown in the screenshot. (Basically the same as writing a patch and enabling it and seeing if it works and then disabling it, but very much quicker.)
- A lot of other handy stuff, mostly for ASM hacking though

So it's kind of like any other tool, but it works while PCSX2 is running and needs a slightly modded EXE to work. Hope this has elaborated a little =)

Edit: Let me know if you want a full list of features. Just be advised though that most of it will only make sense for ASM-modding geeks like me =P
try to pm rama,gregory or refraction about this idea. since, this is a mod i think it couldn't be merged to pcsx2. Tongue
- Refraction
Thanks for the advice, I'll.. send a pm out if... none of them notice this topic after a while. (I kind of suck at PMs and forums in general =P) But I actually figured I could release the EXE just with a slightly different name (e.g., pcsx2dis.exe). It's fully compatible with the 1.2.1 configs and you can switch between the modded version and the official version at any time, so you can even keep them in the same folder. That's how I'm using it right now myself =)
It looks kinda like PS2dis running inside PCSX2... It seems useful. PCSX2 is open source, so technically there is nothing stopping you from releasing it. Although it's nice that you asked first. As long as you include some kind of disclaimer that we (the PCSX2 team) do not provide support for it, and make it clear that it's not made by the main PCSX2 guys, I think it's fine.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD