Devil May Cry is running slow
I have tried everything, i have updated pcsx2 to the latest version and i am running real slow.

I explain: I am actually running it in addition to another program, which i use for livestreaming (xsplit was the one i was talking about, but now open broadcaster software just doesn't help me either).

I am not wanting to disable those programs but i know that without them the game runs perfectly smooth.

I was wondering if you knew some tricks to maybe reduce the toll on the emulator?

My specs are :

Memory: 4096MB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia Geforce GT 540M (yes i know, i am on a laptop)
Processor: Intel i5 2410M 2.30Ghz
Operating System: Win 7 Home 64

Sponsored links

If you want to stream gameplays, optimally you have to get a multicore cpu, at least 4 cores or more or a second system dedicated to capturing output from the first and encoding it. Dual core laptops are pretty much the worst thing you could try to stream from especially when you aim at streaming cpu heavy apps/games like ps2 emulation;].

Generally real time encoding depending on settings can easily take even more resources than ps2 emulation and that's where you should look for any serious improvement, soo decrease resolution, fps, bitrate, overall quality of video as much as you need for full speed. Speedhacks in pcsx2 will also help decreasing cpu usage a bit, but abusing them too much will break the gameplay same as you would use them without trying to stream, also MTvu speedhack while it speed up many games even at dual core cpu's, will ALWAYS increase total cpu usage, you really shouldn't use it in such situation;p(if you seriously have to use this speedhack, you can already put a cross on the idea of streaming it lols @_@). If everything fails, you could buy an external capturing cards, and capture output directly from the console to your stream.
Thanks for the explanations. They are just not helpful, even if they explain a lot of what is happening...I have seen people streaming this game on the same setup i have without problems...all i want is to know if there are ways to reduce the toll on the emulator.

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Devil-May...8-E--30529

This one is 4 cores but I have seen lower configs working fine with it.
it's the stream encoder that uses alot of power.

now this' a weird thread load balancing theory here. it involves alot on floating point and integral pointer math sheduling. dmc benefits from mtvu. isn't really gs heavy. it's just a bit image resolving.

you could try activate hyperthreading. run pcsx2 with mtvu. so it can use what's available on both cores and possibly all 4 "units". then switch the affinity for the video stream program to one core and set it's priority higher then pcsx2. in theory the video encoding operates only that one core with two hyperthreads. sounds pretty dumb. but video code can do that (if you know any video encoder settings and tricks get a encoder that can do full integer dct). and if something is left over of thread power pcsx2 can use it, most of all the vu needs it.

this is what i can offer as "suggestion". Smile

edit:

on the other side that i checked back that might be a "plan" relevant for a bulldozer "quad". and you should just make sure the resolution is okay and you don't stream the whole screen in high resolution rather than just pcsx2 in windowed mode. that's a possible thing you could have done wrong!?!
(02-01-2013, 04:20 PM)xstyla Wrote: it's the stream encoder that uses alot of power.

now this' a weird thread load balancing theory here. it involves alot on floating point and integral pointer math sheduling. dmc benefits from mtvu. isn't really gs heavy. it's just a bit image resolving.

you could try activate hyperthreading. run pcsx2 with mtvu. so it can use what's available on both cores and possibly all 4 "units". then switch the affinity for the video stream program to one core and set it's priority higher then pcsx2. in theory the video encoding operates only that one core with two hyperthreads. sounds pretty dumb. but video code can do that (if you know any video encoder settings and tricks get a encoder that can do full integer dct). and if something is left over of thread power pcsx2 can use it, most of all the vu needs it.

this is what i can offer as "suggestion". Smile

edit:

on the other side that i checked back that might be a "plan" relevant for a bulldozer "quad". and you should just make sure the resolution is okay and you don't stream the whole screen in high resolution rather than just pcsx2 in windowed mode. that's a possible thing you could have done wrong!?!

I am streaming in windowed mode already... But i thought of that and I will try to check the affinity for my streaming program.

Thank you a lot. I will let you know if that helped.