Devil May Cry (sound skips ahead, texture bugs)
I got the game running, but the textures are mostly incomplete, they look as if the 'front' is missing (mostly visible on characters...eww)
And the sound skips way ahead of visuals in cutscenes for example.

Using:
pcsx2 0.9.6
Plugins:
GSdx 890
SPU2-X 1.1.0
LilyPad 0.9.9
Gigaherz's CDVD Plugin 0.7.0
Game: Devil May Cry(1) PAL

Computer specs:
Graphics: GF 9800GT 1GB Vram
CPU: Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33GHz
RAM: 4GB 800MHz
Not exactly a speed demon but it should be enough to play this game comfortably.

When using 0.9.7 there were no sound or texture errors, but it would blackscreen after first cutscenes - which no settings were able to fix.

In another thread someone else had this problem, and was pointed to 0.9.6, so i used this and now i have this texture and sound problem.

Sponsored links

use a newer beta. or wait for 0.9.8.
Yeah, use the very latest beta (r3878). No change in settings was needed to get past the first cut-scene on my end.
I used the r3878 beta, it was all fine until initial cutscenes finished. As soon as i was supposed to get to gameplay, it just black screened and didnt move from there anyhow.

EDIT: After retrying its working, but the game seems to be a little bit too slow, though framerate is above 40. Also i have a tiny 'screen in screen' in left top corner of the game's screen. I could change to PS2 native res to get rid of that, but then im left with very bad graphics and still have the slowmotion problem. I tried some of speedhacks already because it was even worse before. Will need some help with configuring those 2 problems out...
Have you tried using scaling? Do you still get the image in image?

As for slow, your computer is on the slow side for PCSX2, it's recommended minimum of 3ghz+ cpu with a true recommended CPU of 4ghz+

You have to understand the "FPS" is referring more to the PS2's refresh rate. For a game to fun full speed it must run at either 60 or 50fps (depending on NTSC or PAL). So if you're running a NTSC game and you're getting 40fps, the game is only emulating at 2/3rds speed.
[Image: 2748844.png]
Well, it should be OK, for example in empty areas i get 49 FPS, so being a PAL game it should run practically perfectly, but it seems to slowmotion there as well.

Scaling? I dont know exactly where that is, i could deal with the slowmotion after getting used to it but that image in image is for whatever reason unbearable to me, i just cant stop getting distracted by it.

So it doesn't use quad cores or i just need that higher clock?
If you have slowdowns even at full speed (that is 60fps for ntsc, 50fps for pal) that means you have too many speed hacks enabled... specifically VU cycle steal is notorious for causing this.

Scaling is in the GSDx menu in newer builds (IE the latest beta).

PCSX2 can only make full use of 2 cores (and a little of a third) therefore it relies much more on raw speed versus core count.
(04-29-2011, 03:24 PM)Koji Wrote: If you have slowdowns even at full speed (that is 60fps for ntsc, 50fps for pal) that means you have too many speed hacks enabled... specifically VU cycle steal is notorious for causing this.

Scaling is in the GSDx menu in newer builds (IE the latest beta).

PCSX2 can only make full use of 2 cores (and a little of a third) therefore it relies much more on raw speed versus core count.

remove framelimiting and you will get full speed with bad sound quality. I wish pcsx2 would put in a manual fps offsettor
Disabling framelimiting did nothing to help, unfortunately. It just became ridiculously fast(everywhere but in actual gameplay, where it just stayed the same)

Right now i just removed what apparently was useless - didn't give a speed increase or decrease, and now im using those speedhacks: Wait Loop Detection, mVU Flag, Block Hacks and INTC spin detection. Scaling is set to D3D Internal Res (1280x1024)
No interlacing, logarithmic Z , texture filtering and alpha correction ticked on, everything else off. Direct3D9 (Hardware) renderer.
Unfortunately i still have the image in image effect.

Just a question, are there any plans of making PCSX2 use quad cores?
It's not simply a matter of flipping a switch and boom quad core, it would take a major code rewrite, and even if they did, speed wouldn't scale with core usage and it could negatively effect compatibility.

The PS2 is very dependent on precise timing between components, adding even one additional core means that there is yet another thing that has to be timed and scheduled. It also makes debugging far more difficult as well for the same reason.

I believe the devs have mentioned the possibility, but that there aren't any current plans to do so.