Did the original PS2 apply bilinear filtering to textures?
I was wondering whether leaving this setting on or turning it off was more accurate to the original console's look.

YouTube is no help–it's all PCSX2 and "HD remake" videos! Tongue

[EDIT] For those unaware, here are some screenshots illustrating what I mean.

Texture Filtering ON (the PCSX2 default):
http://i.imgur.com/8R8mPSv.jpg

Texture Filtering OFF:
http://i.imgur.com/fUKQK07.jpg

Sponsored links

IIRC The BIOS look different with Texture Filtering ON/OFF.

Based on that I think Texture Filtering ON/semi ON is more accurate than OFF.
I'm sure it did. Filtering off looks cool, but not necessarily in a good way.
Thanks a lot, guys.

I did find an MGS3 YouTube video from 2006 about an hour ago that must be from an actual PS2. I definitely had texture filtering.

Seems to me like "3D Textures" is the most accurate way to go, where 2D elements (mostly menus) aren't filtered, but textures on geometry are. The only problem is that PCSX2 can't always tell the difference between the two.
It can be selectively enabled by the game programmers.
(01-07-2015, 10:39 PM)Baryn Wrote: Thanks a lot, guys.

I did find an MGS3 YouTube video from 2006 about an hour ago that must be from an actual PS2. I definitely had texture filtering.

Seems to me like "3D Textures" is the most accurate way to go, where 2D elements (mostly menus) aren't filtered, but textures on geometry are. The only problem is that PCSX2 can't always tell the difference between the two.

If you disable texture filtering in Spyro: Hero's Tail, all the textures on the dragons look pixelated and generally crap Ninja
(01-07-2015, 11:48 PM)rama Wrote: It can be selectively enabled by the game programmers.

Does PCSX2 properly emulate this, or does it apply filtering indiscriminately?
(01-08-2015, 01:10 AM)Baryn Wrote: Does PCSX2 properly emulate this, or does it apply filtering indiscriminately?

Unless there's a bug, it does it properly Tongue2
(I'm not aware of any bugs with this.)
Thanks a bunch