Difficulty playing Kingdom Hearts on i7 - 2720 QM.
Hi so first of all, I'm going to post my specs, and then I'll detail the issue.

i7 - 2720QM Sandy Bridge
8GB DDR3 RAM
NVIDIA GT 540M 2GB(Kinda irrelevant.)
CPUID screenshots available on request.

So obviously the GPU is not ideal, and I really intend to buy one shortly in the future but right now I couldn't even afford a budget card, so I'll stick with this one in the meantime.

My issue is that I can't play Kingdom Hearts at a stable rate, It's all over the place, I've tried a lot of different configurations and I'm getting 90FPS and then 40FPS. It's ridiculous and I don't know what's going on, my first thought was my onboard soundcard, the sound has a lot of issues regardless of what it's set to, but I've played Kingdom Hearts before on weaker machines flawlessly.

Is it that I can't get DX10? I only have the option for DX9 or DX11, and most configurations suggest DX10. That's another thing, I've seen people with similar or weaker computers running the game at a stable rate on Youtube, so I'm just at a loss here.

Could anyone shed some light on the situation?

Sponsored links

The gpu is plenty powerful enough, and how do you plan on upgrading, let alone buying a laptop gpu. What OS are you on? Have you set your power plan to high performance? What is your pcsx2 version and configuration?

PCSX2 video recording play video in 60FPS regardless of the actual playing frame rate, so don't you can throw that out of the window for spec consideration.
(03-09-2012, 08:52 PM)naoan Wrote: The gpu is plenty powerful enough, and how do you plan on upgrading, let alone buying a laptop gpu. What OS are you on? Have you set your power plan to high performance? What is your pcsx2 version and configuration?

PCSX2 video recording play video in 60FPS regardless of the actual playing frame rate, so don't you can throw that out of the window for spec consideration.

I think you can buy laptop GPUs, I've seen them for sale and I've seen Youtube videos detailing how to install them.

I'm on Windows 7 x64, I don't know how to set my laptop power plan to high performance, I only have balanced or Power Saver available. I don't know what you mean about the recording thing? Isn't that a little irrelevant or did you just word it awkwardly? Sorry.

My PCSX2 configuration is as follows:

GSdx 46000 (MSVC 15.00, SSE41) 0.1.16 [gsdx-sse4-r4600]
LilyPad (works fine.)
SPU2-X r4600m 1.4.0 [spu2-x-r4600]
CDVD (works fine.)
---
Emotion/IOP: Recompiler
Round Mode: Chop/Zero Clamping Mode: Normal
---
VU0/VU1: microVU Recompiler
Round Mode: Chop/Zero Clamping Mode: Normal
---
GS: Everything set to default.
---
Speedhacks disabled.
---
Game fixes disabled.

Hmm I think your laptop supports nvidia optimus. Try going to the nvidia control panel and set the 540M as your default gpu.
lol, okay, good luck with the laptop GPU business. Google it for how to change power plan.

Use latest svn, http://pcsx2.net/svn.php learn how to use speedhack.

Regarding about the recording, I mean you can just practically ignore any video on youtube if you're looking for PC spec relation to actual pcsx2 gameplay, that's it.
(03-09-2012, 09:09 PM)Direct10 Wrote: Hmm I think your laptop supports nvidia optimus. Try going to the nvidia control panel and set the 540M as your default gpu.

It supposedly switches automatically.

Thanks naoan.
You can build your own car, too,
but that doesn't mean it's the $wise$ choice.

On DirectX 10 and 11;
If you're card supports 11, it will say "11".
If it only supports 10, it will say "10".
They are effectively the same thing for PCSX2.

So-- Was Optimus the issue then...?
(03-10-2012, 01:58 AM)Rezard Wrote: You can build your own car, too,
but that doesn't mean it's the $wise$ choice.

On DirectX 10 and 11;
If you're card supports 11, it will say "11".
If it only supports 10, it will say "10".
They are effectively the same thing for PCSX2.

So-- Was Optimus the issue then...?

No it wasn't. I downloaded the latest SVN thing which had new plugins etc and stuff like that and I switched to high performance and stuff so I'm not really sure where the problem was fixed? Thanks to everyone though.

I then played KH 2 and found the framerate jumping problem in the first FMV, switching to DX9 fixed it though. Is this something I'll always struggle with or are some games totally out of my reach?

And is buying a laptop GPU on it's own really that inefficient?
Well, i had some problems playing KH on my own until I downgraded the sound plugin, I'm now using last svn release with SPU2-X r4600m 1.4.0 (you can get it on stable release) With 3-Hermite on sound plugin config, try it!

Oh, and optimus does NOT "automatically switch" with pcsx2, so make sure your dedicated graphic card is working Tongue
(03-10-2012, 02:28 AM)iPochama Wrote: No it wasn't. I downloaded the latest SVN thing which had new plugins etc and stuff like that and I switched to high performance and stuff so I'm not really sure where the problem was fixed? Thanks to everyone though.

The "High Performance" switch would be my guess.
It can literally force your processor to run slower.

(03-10-2012, 02:28 AM)iPochama Wrote: I then played KH 2 and found the framerate jumping problem in the first FMV, switching to DX9 fixed it though. Is this something I'll always struggle with or are some games totally out of my reach?

"Framerate jumping problem" during an FMV?
You mean it dips down sometimes during the FMV?
Are you using Speedhacks at all?

It is totally possible for you to encounter parts here and there within a game that hit your hardware harder. If your internal resolution is up-scaled, it's worth dropping it down to native so you can see if your GPU is seeing it's limits.

(03-10-2012, 02:28 AM)iPochama Wrote: And is buying a laptop GPU on it's own really that inefficient?

It really is.
Much like buying parts to build your own laptop.

OEMs can make them that much cheaper thanks to mass production.
It's just not the same world as a desktop.

Rather than upgrading,
you'd usually do better to just sell your current,
put that money with your upgrade cash,
and get a better system all-around.

Also-- Your GPU needs to be MXM capable to be switched out.
I don't believe yours is.
You usually only get that with GTS or GTX units, I believe.
Ironically-- those GPU are less in need of an upgrade...