Digital Devil Saga 1 Low FPS (Also Atelier Iris problem)
I have been trying to play Digital Devil Saga, but have run into this annoying problem of essentially unplayable framerates at internal resolutions greater than 2x native. With speedhacks, I can even run Shadow of the Colossus at 4x native without any more slowdown than was present in the console version. No idea why this would be running this slowly on my PC; are the graphics just that intensive on this game that a mid-level nVidia 600-series card has trouble with them?

By the way, I have tried as many assortments of speedhacks as I could think of. Even with all options on/set to max, I still run into these problems (but no false framerate, surprisingly).

Also, Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana seems to have been broken recently even with all speedhacks off. It ran fine on an earlier revision, but it won't even get through FMVs anymore.

My PC specs are:
CPU: Intel i7-3610QM @ 2.3 GHz (3.3 GHz Turbo) (yes, I know it's a bit slow but it's a laptop processor)
GPU: nVidia GTX 660M 2GB
RAM: 16GB DDR3

Sponsored links

(11-21-2013, 06:50 AM)JakobGibby Wrote: I have been trying to play Digital Devil Saga, but have run into this annoying problem of essentially unplayable framerates at internal resolutions greater than 2x native. With speedhacks, I can even run Shadow of the Colossus at 4x native without any more slowdown than was present in the console version. No idea why this would be running this slowly on my PC; are the graphics just that intensive on this game that a mid-level nVidia 600-series card has trouble with them?

By the way, I have tried as many assortments of speedhacks as I could think of. Even with all options on/set to max, I still run into these problems (but no false framerate, surprisingly).

Also, Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana seems to have been broken recently even with all speedhacks off. It ran fine on an earlier revision, but it won't even get through FMVs anymore.

My PC specs are:
CPU: Intel i7-3610QM @ 2.3 GHz (3.3 GHz Turbo) (yes, I know it's a bit slow but it's a laptop processor)
GPU: nVidia GTX 660M 2GB
RAM: 16GB DDR3

Sometimes you can be surprised which games will cause graphical slowdown. For instance, Ar tonelico 2. It's almost completely 2d, yet with my GPU(which is 3 times faster than yours) and resolution above 4x, I get slowdown on EX attacks.

What do you mean "broken"? Broken as in it can't get by the FMV without crashing? If so, and you are sure it's not your settings, go make a bug report here.

Be sure to read the bug report guide first though.

Since you are on a laptop, make sure your power plan is set to "High performance" and you are running plugged in. Make sure all your fan holes are free of dust etc, as heat will eventually cause slowdown too.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(11-21-2013, 07:02 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: Since you are on a laptop, make sure your power plan is set to "High performance" and you are running plugged in. Make sure all your fan holes are free of dust etc, as heat will eventually cause slowdown too.

My laptop is always on High Performance and I have never had problems with it not using the correct GPU.

So it sounds like I will just need to play it on 2x native. Oh well; still better than on the PS2.

Also, the Atelier Iris crashing at FMVs definitely isn't because of my settings, but it might not be a new bug either - I previously hadn't updated in months.
I beat all the Atelier Iris games using 1.0.0 without issue (U version). If you are using the stable version then something is def wrong.

Are you using any cheats (including widescreen)?
Have you reset all settings to default?
Have you tried reripping your game?
Have you tried Software mode (F9)?
Intel Core i5-8600K @ 4.5 GHz
GeForce GTX 1080 SC2 Stock
ASRock Z370 Taichi LGA 1151 mobo
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB 2400 DDR4 RAM
SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 500GB PCIe SSD
Indigo Xtreme Thermal Interface Material
Phanteks Enthoo Pro ES614P Black Steel Case
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 220-G2-0750-XR PSU
Windows 10 64-bit
(11-21-2013, 05:17 PM)jlwmanagement Wrote: I beat all the Atelier Iris games using 1.0.0 without issue (U version). If you are using the stable version then something is def wrong.

Are you using any cheats (including widescreen)?
Have you reset all settings to default?
Have you tried reripping your game?
Have you tried Software mode (F9)?

It's not the stable version, it's a snapshot. And yes, I have tried all of those. It was a recent commit that broke Atelier Iris 1. Also, I just checked Atelier Iris 3, and that now crashes at the FMVs too (it hasn't before).

EDIT: Mana Khemia and Ar Tonelico also have FMV problems now. Other games seem to be able to get through the FMVs just fine no matter what settings.

EDIT2: Actually, my performance in general has taken an enormous hit since I updated except with 2D games. There could actually be something wrong on my end.

EDIT3: Restarted and ran Malwarebytes and everything works fine now. Not sure what happened there but whatever it is, it was fixed.
Hmmm. Thinking back on it, I remember having an issue with MTVU and Mana Khemia (or was it Ar Tonelico...?). Either way, can you try disabling MTVU and see if that helps?
Intel Core i5-8600K @ 4.5 GHz
GeForce GTX 1080 SC2 Stock
ASRock Z370 Taichi LGA 1151 mobo
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB 2400 DDR4 RAM
SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 500GB PCIe SSD
Indigo Xtreme Thermal Interface Material
Phanteks Enthoo Pro ES614P Black Steel Case
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 220-G2-0750-XR PSU
Windows 10 64-bit