Digital Devil Saga 2 occasionally hangs up
Greetings!

I've been playing the DDS games on PCSX2. I managed to play through DDS1 without encountering any real issues. The emulation wasn't always perfect, of course, but it did its job well enough that I was able to get through it from start to finish.

However, with DDS2, I began to run into problems. The first problem I encountered was that an FMV ended and simply froze rather than transitioning to the next one, but thankfully, I managed to get past that. But a bit later, I ran into a bigger problem. At semi-random points, the game's image just...hangs. The background music continues as normal, but the actual video display just stops dead in its tracks, forcing me to restart the emulator entirely.

For the record, my copies of DDS 1&2 are indeed the PAL versions that are known for having issues. But I'm not sure if this is an example of that; like I said, I was able to play through the first game just fine. In fact, aside from those issues, DDS2 has been running extremely well; thanks to the option of being able to choose to display the game at 60 Hz, the game runs very smoothly.

In any event, I've tried a lot of things. I've changed video plugins, tried running the game with and without the EE timing hack, running it at 50 Hz instead of 60, fiddled with recompiler options, tried running the game in software mode and even tried using speedhacks (which, ironically, made the game run slower)...so far, I've had no luck.

The issue doesn't seem to be permanent. After a few tries, I finally managed to get through the areas where I constantly experienced it. But it happens frequently enough that it seriously affects my ability to play the game and I don't want to constantly lose progress, so I'm posting here to find out if there is anything I can do or if I have no choice but to try and blunt force my way through it with repetition and save states.

Here are my system specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate Edition 64-bit
Intel Core i5-2300 CPU @ 2.80 GHz
6 GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6800

I thank you in advance for any assistance you may provide.

Sponsored links

make sure that you are using the default settings and also post you emulog to provide further support.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
You shouldn't use savestates if you see hangs/blackscreens/errors. The bug might be introduced into your game much earlier due to some hack or error in the emulator. By using savestates you create a memory copy. If the memory is corrupted you can experience the exactly same hang independent on the number of reloads.

So if your game gets broken load the savestate. Save using the in-game save function to the memcard. Restart the game, reload the memcard save and try again.
I've reset to default settings and tried again, but the issue persists. Here's the emulog from my latest attempt:

Code:
Loading language translation databases for 'Slovenian' [sl_SI]
    pcsx2_Main not found -- translation dictionary may be incomplete.
    pcsx2_Iconized not found -- translation dictionary may be incomplete.
SetLanguage: Requested translation is not implemented yet.
[wx] Failed to load shared library 'C:\Program Files (x86)\PCSX2 1.2.1\Plugins\gsdx32-avx2-r5875.dll' (error -1073741795: unknown error c000001d)
Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\PCSX2 1.2.1\Plugins\gsdx32-avx2-r5875.dll
File is not a valid dynamic library.
Some kinda plugin failure: C:\Program Files (x86)\PCSX2 1.2.1\Plugins\gsdx32-avx2-r5875.dll

Loading plugins...
    Binding   GS: C:\Program Files (x86)\PCSX2 1.2.1\Plugins\gsdx32-avx-r5875.dll
Windows 6.1.7601 (Service Pack 1 1.0)
    Binding  PAD: C:\Program Files (x86)\PCSX2 1.2.1\Plugins\lilypad-r5875.dll
    Binding SPU2: C:\Program Files (x86)\PCSX2 1.2.1\Plugins\spu2-x-r5875.dll
    Binding CDVD: C:\Program Files (x86)\PCSX2 1.2.1\Plugins\cdvdGigaherz.dll
    Binding  USB: C:\Program Files (x86)\PCSX2 1.2.1\Plugins\USBnull.dll
    Binding   FW: C:\Program Files (x86)\PCSX2 1.2.1\Plugins\FWnull.dll
    Binding DEV9: C:\Program Files (x86)\PCSX2 1.2.1\Plugins\DEV9null.dll
Plugins loaded successfully.

Initializing plugins...
    Init GS
    Init PAD
    Init SPU2
    Init CDVD
    Init USB
    Init FW
    Init DEV9
Plugins initialized successfully.

Bios Found: Europe  v02.00(04/11/2004)  Console
Shutting down plugins...
PCSX2 1.2.1.r5873 - compiled on Feb  3 2014
Savestate version: 0x9a0a0000

Host Machine Init:
    Operating System =  Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit
    Physical RAM     =  6126 MB
    CPU name         =  Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2300 CPU @ 2.80GHz
    Vendor/Model     =  GenuineIntel (stepping 07)
    CPU speed        =  2.792 ghz (4 logical threads)
    x86PType         =  Standard OEM
    x86Flags         =  bfebfbff 1f9ae3bf
    x86EFlags        =  28100000

x86 Features Detected:
    MMX.. SSE.. SSE2.. SSE3.. SSSE3.. SSE4.1.. SSE4.2.. AVX

Plugins shutdown successfully.
Reserving memory for recompilers...

Loading plugins...
    Binding   GS: C:\Program Files (x86)\PCSX2 1.2.1\Plugins\gsdx32-avx-r5875.dll
    Binding  PAD: C:\Program Files (x86)\PCSX2 1.2.1\Plugins\lilypad-r5875.dll
    Binding SPU2: C:\Program Files (x86)\PCSX2 1.2.1\Plugins\spu2-x-r5875.dll
    Binding CDVD: C:\Program Files (x86)\PCSX2 1.2.1\Plugins\cdvdGigaherz.dll
    Binding  USB: C:\Program Files (x86)\PCSX2 1.2.1\Plugins\USBnull.dll
    Binding   FW: C:\Program Files (x86)\PCSX2 1.2.1\Plugins\FWnull.dll
    Binding DEV9: C:\Program Files (x86)\PCSX2 1.2.1\Plugins\DEV9null.dll
Plugins loaded successfully.

(GameDB) 9655 games on record (loaded in 188ms)
HLE Notice: ELF does not have a path.

Initializing plugins...
    Init GS
    Init PAD
    Init SPU2
    Init CDVD
    Init USB
    Init FW
    Init DEV9
Plugins initialized successfully.

Opening plugins...
    Opening GS
    Opening PAD
    Opening SPU2
    Opening CDVD
isoFile open ok: D:\Igre\DDS\Digital Devil Saga 2.iso
    Image type  = DVD
* CDVD Disk Open: DVD, Single layer or unknown:
* * Track 1: Data (Mode 1) (2226944 sectors)
    Opening USB
    Opening FW
    Opening DEV9
McdSlot 0: C:\Users\Daci\Documents\PCSX2\memcards\Mcd001.ps2
McdSlot 1: C:\Users\Daci\Documents\PCSX2\memcards\Mcd002.ps2
Plugins opened successfully.
EE/iR5900-32 Recompiler Reset
    Bios Found: Europe  v02.00(04/11/2004)  Console
    BIOS rom1 module not found, skipping...
    BIOS rom2 module not found, skipping...
    BIOS erom module not found, skipping...
(UpdateVSyncRate) Mode Changed to NTSC.
(UpdateVSyncRate) FPS Limit Changed : 59,94 fps
NVM File Not Found, Creating Blank File
(SYSTEM.CNF) Detected PS2 Disc = cdrom0:\SLES_545.55;1
(SYSTEM.CNF) Software version = 1.01
(SYSTEM.CNF) Disc region type = PAL
ELF (cdrom0:\SLES_545.55;1) Game CRC = 0xD568B684, EntryPoint = 0x00305DD8
(SYSTEM.CNF) Detected PS2 Disc = cdrom0:\SLES_545.55;1
(SYSTEM.CNF) Software version = 1.01
(SYSTEM.CNF) Disc region type = PAL
(GameDB) Enabled Gamefix: EETimingHack
EE/iR5900-32 Recompiler Reset
MEC File Not Found, creating substitute...
(UpdateVSyncRate) Mode Changed to PAL.
(UpdateVSyncRate) FPS Limit Changed : 50,00 fps
(UpdateVSyncRate) Mode Changed to NTSC.
(UpdateVSyncRate) FPS Limit Changed : 59,94 fps
Closing plugins...
    Closing DEV9
    Closing FW
    Closing USB
    Closing CDVD
    Closing SPU2
    Closing PAD
    Closing GS
Plugins closed successfully.
Shutting down plugins...
Plugins shutdown successfully.
(GameDB) Unloading...

Also, while I'm not sure if it's of any help, here's a screenshot:

[Image: K07pDj0.jpg]

(04-14-2015, 10:26 AM)willkuer Wrote: You shouldn't use savestates if you see hangs/blackscreens/errors. The bug might be introduced into your game much earlier due to some hack or error in the emulator. By using savestates you create a memory copy. If the memory is corrupted you can experience the exactly same hang independent on the number of reloads.

So if your game gets broken load the savestate. Save using the in-game save function to the memcard. Restart the game, reload the memcard save and try again.

Thank you for the notice. Just to be clear, however, I haven't been using savestates with this game up to this point. I have only saved using in-game methods to the memcard.
try the latest development builds from here.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
Try re-ripping your iso.
[Insert Witty Sig Here.]
I tried using the latest two developer builds; no dice. I also ripped a new ISO. At first, it seemed like it did the trick, since I managed to get past the immediate area. But not long afterwards, the game ended up hanging again.

However, I have noticed a pattern. Though the game did sometimes hang in the dungeon sections, it is in the wider areas (such as the one in the picture) with a fixed camera that these sort of hick ups occur the most. I'm not sure if there is any specific reason for it (maybe there is more stuff to load?) or if it's just a coincidence.
do you notice anything strange on your RAM (or) CPU usage (through taskmanager) while pcsx2 crashes ?
- Refraction
(04-15-2015, 06:56 AM)ssakash Wrote: do you notice anything strange on your RAM (or) CPU usage (through taskmanager) while pcsx2 crashes ?

Though this could be my lack of technical expertise talking, I haven't noticed anything really unusual. One of the CPU cores is much more active than the rest, but I'm presuming that's entirely normal (I'm aware that the emulator normally makes use of two CPU cores at most).

Also, I initially thought that the freeze was accompanied by a sharp CPU spike, but after further testing, it occurred without any unusual fluctuations as well.
It looks like there's no real solution to this problem. Oh well, at least I've still managed to make progress in spite of it. I guess all I can really do is hope that it won't be as much of an issue from now on.

Regardless, I thank everyone for their help.