Direct3D 9?
(06-15-2018, 01:17 AM)Rekrul Wrote: In the context that Windows 7/8/10 don't come with DX9 on them and to install it, a user would have to run a special third-party program to forcibly uninstall DirectX, since MS never intended for it to be uninstalled, then manually search out a copy of DX9, download it and install it. All of which is well beyond the abilities of the average user. Hell, the average user doesn't have a clue what to do with a program that comes as a Zip file instead of an installer. I'd be surprised if you could find ten average users today who even know what DirectX is, let alone what version they have on their system.

It's also doubtful that a Vista user would have DX9, as DX10 was released right around the same time as Vista. Even if they did originally have DX9, it would have probably been updated long ago during one of the update cycles.

The point is that is very doubtful that any of the systems capable of running the newer/development versions of PCSX2 would have DX9 installed on it. Which is what made me curious about why it was still supported.

Except many games on Steam and Origin came with it and it was required to run, multiplatform games were even discussed as they ere being held back as they had to cater to the DX9 in consoles.

You seem to have a low idea of a "average user" my parents for example were using a 2006 pc till last year when I built them one for Christmas, my dad was using winzip and such around 2001, and was using pcs in the early 90s (or 80s if you count the home computers that mostly were for games)

What it seems to boil down to though is you think a system/hardware capable of DX11/10 can't/wont use DX9 which isn't the same as not having DX9/using it.

Sponsored links

(06-15-2018, 01:17 AM)Rekrul Wrote: forcibly uninstall DirectX, since MS never intended for it to be uninstalled, then manually search out a copy of DX9

The point is that is very doubtful that any of the systems capable of running the newer/development versions of PCSX2 would have DX9 installed on it. Which is what made me curious about why it was still supported.

Uhm, no, you don't remove your built in DX10/11/12 libraries by installing DX9 to your system. Microsoft still provides it, not on stock Windows installs but as a download option since a lot of old games still use it and DX10/11/12 aren't backwards compatible with it. And it's still in PCSX2 as a failover for several reasons, including but not limited to XP support, old GPU support, a small subset of games that work properly on DX9 but have problems in OpenGL or DX11, and another subset of games that are graphically simple and can use DX9 without graphical problems and get a performance boost from the lower accuracy.
(06-15-2018, 01:17 AM)Rekrul Wrote: In the context that Windows 7/8/10 don't come with DX9 on them and to install it, a user would have to run a special third-party program to forcibly uninstall DirectX, since MS never intended for it to be uninstalled, then manually search out a copy of DX9, download it and install it. All of which is well beyond the abilities of the average user. Hell, the average user doesn't have a clue what to do with a program that comes as a Zip file instead of an installer. I'd be surprised if you could find ten average users today who even know what DirectX is, let alone what version they have on their system.

It's also doubtful that a Vista user would have DX9, as DX10 was released right around the same time as Vista. Even if they did originally have DX9, it would have probably been updated long ago during one of the update cycles.

DX9 is still readily available directly from Microsoft's website as a full installer package. I have DX9 installed on my laptop with the latest version of Windows 10 and it works just fine along with DX12. I also had it on my desktop with Windows 7 and Windows 10 after I upgraded it. I had to install DX9 so that I could play SNES9x, which requires DX9 to even open (even if you choose not to use it), and DX11/12 aren't backward compatible with DX9 as pandubz already said.
The Mini(ITX) Box V2 a.k.a. Nighthawk
Ryzen 7 3700X | 16GB DDR4-3600 CL16 | ASUS ROG Strix B550-I Gaming | EVGA GTX 1660Ti SC Ultra Gaming | Sabrent Rocket 4.0 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD | EVGA 600BQ
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Im rendering camera stream with directx 9, but it displays stream a little bit foggy, something like a gray overlay on it. I figure out it when my result is compared to VLC.
The most recent post in this thread is more than 8 months old. Please create a new thread and refrain from posting in threads older than 8 months in the future. Please also review the forum rules. Thank you.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go