Direct3D 9?
I'm just curious...

I was browsing the list of development builds and I notice the one from 05-31-2018 mentions Direct3D 9. I was just wondering why it's still supported.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like I think it shouldn't be, it just surprises to see it mentioned as I thought D3D9 had been declared obsolete when Windows Vista came out. Do Windows 7/8/10 even support it? I mean, I know each DirectX version is supposed to support the commands from the versions before it, but I thought each one superseded all the previous ones, such that there was no reason to write software for D3D9 if D3D10/11 were available.

In other words, I thought the only reason to support D3D9 was if the program was going to be run on a system that didn't have D3D10/11 on it, like XP, but I know the development releases don't work on XP.

Sponsored links

DirectX 9 and by extension D3D 9 works on every Microsoft OS since XP. You do have to install it separately if the program (usually a game) does not come with a directX installer with it.
That commit didn't really change anything, just a GUI option that shouldn't be active on D3D9.
CPU: I7-4770 3.9GHZ
Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS
RAM: Hyper X Savage 2x8GB 1.6GHZ CL9
GPU: GTX1070 8GB GDDR5
(06-14-2018, 05:16 PM)TkSilver Wrote: DirectX 9 and by extension D3D 9 works on every Microsoft OS since XP.  You do have to install it separately if the program (usually a game) does not come with a directX installer with it.

Yes, but does anyone actually use DirectX9 on Windows 7/8/10?

(06-14-2018, 07:00 PM)lightningterror Wrote: That commit didn't really change anything, just a GUI option that shouldn't be active on D3D9.

My point was that the development versions only work on systems that most likely have a newer version than DX9. Everyone I know with anything past XP has DX11 on it.

Supporting DX9 would make sense if the program still worked on XP, but it doesn't.
(06-14-2018, 11:29 PM)Rekrul Wrote: Supporting DX9 would make sense if the program still worked on XP, but it doesn't.

We plan on dropping DX9 after the next release.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(06-14-2018, 11:29 PM)Rekrul Wrote: Yes, but does anyone actually use DirectX9 on Windows 7/8/10?

My point was that the development versions only work on systems that most likely have a newer version than DX9. Everyone I know with anything past XP has DX11 on it.

Supporting DX9 would make sense if the program still worked on XP, but it doesn't.

How exactly do you know? most people I know still have pcs and laptops that are at best DX10 cards in since they have no reason to upgrade and I repair pcs and install OS for a living
(06-14-2018, 11:54 PM)dekadeka Wrote: How exactly do you know? most people I know still have pcs and laptops that are at best DX10 cards in since they have no reason to upgrade and I repair pcs and install OS for a living

When was the last time you saw a Windows system past XP that was using DX9?
(06-15-2018, 12:17 AM)Rekrul Wrote: When was the last time you saw a Windows system past XP that was using DX9?

In what context? I don't check every bit of software on the pc of every person I come across but considering I myself have a mid/high graphics card from 2009 in a media pc to recently that didn't even support DX11 and I know plenty of people with even older pcs then I can say without checking its very likely they are using above DX9, some even have Vista stickers on!
I play a lot of my older games on my new(ish) system. For example I still prefer GTA 3, VC, and San Andreas to 4 or 5, Star Wars Knights of the Old republic or really any of the older bioware games before Dragon Age, and classics like beyond good and evil or Psychonaurs are direct X 9 only. These games are all run on a system with a GTX 980TI.
Football manager up to 2017 only support DirectX 9.

Really the Direct X version that is rare to see people use is 10 since very few games even bothered to implement it and even fewer required it. Part of that has to do with Vista's failure to be an OS people wanted to upgrade to ant the other part was that what Direct X 10 offered over 9.0c was not really inticing.
(06-15-2018, 12:56 AM)dekadeka Wrote: In what context? I don't check every bit of software on the pc of every person I come across but considering I myself have a mid/high graphics card from 2009 in a media pc to recently that didn't even support DX11 and I know plenty of people with even older pcs then I can say without checking its very likely they are using above DX9, some even have Vista stickers on!

In the context that Windows 7/8/10 don't come with DX9 on them and to install it, a user would have to run a special third-party program to forcibly uninstall DirectX, since MS never intended for it to be uninstalled, then manually search out a copy of DX9, download it and install it. All of which is well beyond the abilities of the average user. Hell, the average user doesn't have a clue what to do with a program that comes as a Zip file instead of an installer. I'd be surprised if you could find ten average users today who even know what DirectX is, let alone what version they have on their system.

It's also doubtful that a Vista user would have DX9, as DX10 was released right around the same time as Vista. Even if they did originally have DX9, it would have probably been updated long ago during one of the update cycles.

The point is that is very doubtful that any of the systems capable of running the newer/development versions of PCSX2 would have DX9 installed on it. Which is what made me curious about why it was still supported.