DirectX and OpenGL on PCSX2
It also depends on the version. Blending accuracy used to be slow on Xenosaga. I think I fixed it couple of weeks after the 1.4 release.

Quote: Went to his house loaded up the game and to no surprise, DX did outperform OpenGL. He has a mid-range AMD/ATI build.
Yes and the conclusion is AMD driver is **** (I let you find the good word)

Sponsored links

(03-06-2017, 12:23 AM)gregory Wrote: It also depends on the version. Blending accuracy used to be slow on Xenosaga. I think I fixed it couple of weeks after the 1.4 release.

Yes and the conclusion is AMD driver is **** (I let you find the good word)

I did notice a recent bump in performance, and you'll find no argument from me on AMDs drivers.
Xenosaga uses various crappy effects that barely impact the image (sometimes it is a nop). DX takes the easy road. openGL is more accurate even when you disable everything. (I didn't create options for small fixes).

In the future (not soon), we would be able to implement BA with newer GPU capabilities. Impact on CPU will be null (currently it is a driver killer). However it will increase the load on the GPU.
(03-06-2017, 01:03 AM)gregory Wrote: Xenosaga uses various crappy effects that barely impact the image (sometimes it is a nop). DX takes the easy road. openGL is more accurate even when you disable everything. (I didn't create options for small fixes).

In the future (not soon), we would be able to implement BA with newer GPU capabilities. Impact on CPU will be null (currently it is a driver killer). However it will increase the load on the GPU.

Ahh... Must be the same thing in Star Ocean III. Thanks for taking the time to clear this up. On a sort of related note; Have you guys taken a look at Vulkan API? Normally as a personal preference, I am leery of anything AMD/ATI related as it usually doesn't live up to the hype. But from what I hear it is very promising.
Could it be possible that the reason DX beats Opengl in Mako's Case is because the opengl version is an older one. like 3-3.5 instead of 4.5? Or would that even make a difference.
[Image: xckarn-5.png]
(03-06-2017, 01:11 AM)Mako Wrote: Ahh... Must be the same thing in Star Ocean III. Thanks for taking the time to clear this up. On a sort of related note; Have you guys taken a look at Vulkan API? Normally as a personal preference, I am leery of anything AMD/ATI related as it usually doesn't live up to the hype. But from what I hear it is very promising.
SO3 is due to shadow implementation which emulate a stencil buffer. Maybe a dedicated HLE shader could help for tri-ace games. So far you can disable shadow with CRC hack.

I didn't saw the same promise for Vulkan. The perf increases is quite low. It is good for AMD because their driver is bad so yes game maker can do AMD's job but we can't. Async compute is useless for us as we don't have any compute shader in the first place.

This openGL extension look much more promising to increase the accuracy. It would increase the GPU load so it would make the driver overhead less important.
https://www.khronos.org/registry/OpenGL/...erlock.txt

(03-06-2017, 11:28 AM)rikimaruaxu Wrote: Could it be possible that the reason DX beats Opengl in Mako's Case is because the opengl version is an older one. like 3-3.5 instead of 4.5? Or would that even make a difference.
OpenGL version doesn't mean anything.