Do the Devs of PCSX2 have any other projects?
(02-14-2011, 04:10 AM)cottonvibes Wrote: satisfaction

The one word which says it for me. Ever had that feeling when youve made something happen? something that shouldnt be happening? The feeling you get from that is pure satisfaction, something of which i have this project to thank for and why i will continue working on it.

i guess in a way you could call it Job Satisfaction Laugh
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Sponsored links

(02-14-2011, 10:12 PM)ichimitch Wrote: As for user praise though.. Well I admit to not having spent much time on the PCSX2 forum yet but I do frequent quite a few forums for different emulators being the fanatic that I am and it seems that people generally just ***** and moan when they post... There are a few people that are grateful and say thanks but the majority seem to forget that it's a free product who's developers are volunteering their time and they just gripe about the things that aren't yet working or request features be added like it can be done with a few mouse clicks.. If it were me I would be thinking why am I doing this for these ingrates :/ but yeah I guess it would teach you a lot along the way and find out a lot about things you wouldn't in a classroom.

Yeah this is true, many users are ungrateful and act like we owe them something; however its best to just ignore those people because they're usually idiots that don't even have the capacity to understand the complexities of such a project. Such people have a mindset that we can fix bugs in their favorite games within a few seconds, and we don't do so because we're lazy; obviously things aren't so simple, but they don't understand that because they have no idea of how programming or emulation works.

There are some users however that truly appreciate what we do, and we're happy for that.
Check out my blog: Trashcan of Code
I really admire the hard work you guys put into the ps2 emulator. If I ever hit the lottery. I would donate a ton of money for this project and help put anyone of you through college.
If you haven't already been through college. Besides having emulator coding on your resume rocks.
[Image: 66xk69.jpeg]
(02-14-2011, 04:10 AM)cottonvibes Wrote: I don't know about the others, but for me I will put my experience with pcsx2 on my resume when looking for a job. Although it is questionable whether putting emulator related experience is always a good thing on a job application
Just as a mental exercise, you can easily describe the process of a plugin based development, within team environment requiring individual motivation and individual learning to be greatly respected by hiring managers.

You might call it an emulator, but what you should describe it as is a function within the development of a product.

Think of it like a mechanic who also races car's he's built on the weekend, when applying to a workshop as a foreman: It sounds like racing cars is an immature thing which is a waste of money but if he expresses it differently:
- Working on the cars with specific deadlines
- High pressure requiring precise results
- Quality is paramount
- Budget focused solutions to problems

Those are things which would be highly regarded by a manager of the workshop. Just learn to sell yourself, and treat the skills for what they are, and even just thinking about them differently will be enough to give you a deeper understanding of different ways you can inplement them individually, outside of the current constraints that you have within the emulator scene.

By thinking of how they apply in other situations, you can therefore value them objectively.

skythra yeh you're right; i'm actually taking a class right now where the professor kindof is saying the same thing.
Stop browsing boards while on class buddy, or something can happen!

kidding

As for users moaning about projects, well, that really does happen a lot. Back a GV, when we come up with a translating project, some people start hurrying us up, and some doesnt even thank you when the project is done and the translation is ready. Without including the ones who always keep saying the staff doesnt help and so on...
Yes, lemons can be batteries. Ninja
Hey guys, I would just like to chime in here, and pat all you PCSX2 devs on the back simply because I know you don't hear it often enough, and because I've found it something of a rarity to be able to communicate directly with emulator authors even through their forums. Though my grasp of coding is shallow (to say the least), I fully understand, and deeply appreciate that while there can certainly be great satisfaction in it, coding can very often be tedious, time consuming, redundant, boring work.

I was introduced to the world of emulation about 8 years ago, and while I am simply one of those people who enjoys the fruits of your labor, I learned allot about computers, operating system architecture, and software in general because of tinkering around with emulators, so I can scarcely imagine what a fun, intellectually stimulating, and challenging learning process being involved with such a project must be. I think the work you guys do is great, and the progress that has been made even just in the past couple of years has been remarkable. Even just in the short time that I've been aware of PCSX2, I've seen the quality and performance improve by leaps and bounds. Given the level of complexity involved in writing emulators (especially 5th, 6th, and 7th generation console emulators), to me, it's nothing short of a small miracle they work at all. I have looked at the source code for emulators like Dolphin for example, and based on what little I know about coding, I'm simply stunned and overwhelmed by the level of complexity. It leaves me with the impression that emulator developers are truly talented and highly skilled individuals, and it's stunning that they work so hard on something they're not even charging anything for when they could easily apply those talents and skills to occupational pursuits. I'm deeply grateful to you developers for the time and devotion that you put into these projects completely free of charge, and sincerely hope you continue to improve it, and ignore disrespectful users who treat you like this is a job instead of a hobby. People like that poison the well for the rest of us users who sincerely respect, and appreciate your work.
(05-17-2011, 10:31 AM)KnyteOwl Wrote: Given the level of complexity involved in writing emulators (especially 5th, 6th, and 7th generation console emulators), to me, it's nothing short of a small miracle they work at all. I have looked at the source code for emulators like Dolphin for example, and based on what little I know about coding, I'm simply stunned and overwhelmed by the level of complexity.

yeh tbh i'm also amazed at how the emulators are able to work so well.
especially when we have so much components and things that can go wrong, and just 1 little error like a bad opcode implementation can break like 90% of games.
we still have a lot of 'wtf' code left in pcsx2 where i'm surprised it works. i hope to see pcsx2's code quality continue to improve in the future as well as its accuracy. imo its more important if the code is well designed than if games are fixed, because a messy implementation is too hard to work with, especially because your working with multiple devs.

i've seen source-code for other emulators like NES emus that are extremely complex and over-engineered, even though to emulate such a system you don't need so much code.
so the complexity of the code-base is not entirely based on the system you're emulating, but also the structure of the code.
(05-20-2011, 03:11 AM)cottonvibes Wrote: we still have a lot of 'wtf' code left in pcsx2 where i'm surprised it works.

we need moar comments! Tongue
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

I would love to say that you guys are more than just emulator programmers but for my wife and I and my bro in law we have all re-experienced some golden years of gaming at a time before we had kids that would not have been possible without you guys. In a way you guys are preserving gaming history and making so that such wonderful games don't fade out of existence and can continue to be enjoyed and loved. Yeah I know it sounds all mushy mushy but really thanks guys it's a blast reliving these games again Smile
AMD Phenom™ II X4 955 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz, 8192MB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series