Poll: Will you agree if PCSX2 gets Quad Core support???
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yea it will make all the games 100% emulated
42.55%
20 42.55%
Indiferent
23.40%
11 23.40%
No it dosent need it
34.04%
16 34.04%
Total 47 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Do you think that PCSX2 team will implement quad core support?
Where's the "No it can't be done" option?

I actually did most of my VU1 and IOP threading tests several months ago, and unfortunately both failed. The IOP one was the more successful of the two, which is good that there was some success at all, but unfortunate since the IOP is a very very small part of PCSX2 overhead.

Trying to thread the VU1 was a complete failure. Too many games just use the VU1 as a batch processor, sending a series of programs in sequence. The entire thing is part of a VIF packet system, which itself would need to be threaded. The packet system is a DMA process, however, which means it needs to update several state vars that the EE can read/modify in parallel. Games are also notoriously bad about sending these DMAs in all manner of split formats, so the VIF packet processor might still just end up sitting around waiting for the EE to send it the next bit of crap.

Bottom line: even if all the uber-increased code complexity pans out, the net gains would be minimal. 2-5% faster perhaps; possibly slower for problematic games. That sucks when you consider the headaches of making it work, and the fact that it would likely never be as accurate or stable as a single-threaded approach used now.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team

Sponsored links

I believe in a few years (or months) time. we will be able to run PS2 games with decent dual cores. as the prices will come down and PCSX2 Development will go on. I can see massive improvements with latest plug-ins in many games with lots of unplayable games now running perfectly..No point in wasting time to support quad-cores.
Click image for Prev. rigs Cool
[Image: MYNEWPCGII.png]
Based on some others posts i think we should turn this thread into a poll about the integrity of the results of the op's poll and the probability of it even being real lol. As for quad core support , if it was going to have some major payoff itd be nice but sounds like itd be too much work for something that could turn out to be less then worthwhile.

Edit:
Quote:Will you agree if PCSX2 gets Quad Core support???

....to what?
My Core i3 2.13 Ghz laptop runs Final Fantasy X at full speed except the FPS drops down to 30 in some scenes. But God of War 2 runs at 15 FPS. It's... terrible. I can't believe this to be true. Quad core support would be very nice indeed, but not before PCSX2 becomes more stable.

PS2 and PS3 are exactly computers on which we can install a operating system like Linux. A PC at the same price is never as powerful as a console. I was wondering why PCs are used and when consoles will replace PCs?
At such cases that PS3 used as a computer (mainly clusters with 2000-5000 consoles at once) intel PC's are rarely used (and when used, they used Xeons). But PC is single user general purpose device, and at this role it's pretty powerfull.
(04-11-2010, 04:29 PM)Livy the pixie Wrote: PS2 and PS3 are exactly computers on which we can install a operating system like Linux. A PC at the same price is never as powerful as a console. I was wondering why PCs are used and when consoles will replace PCs?

Not exactly. There are both obvious and less-than-obvious differences.

The obvious differences:

1) most PCs are fully upgradeable. They include internal expansion slots for cards and ram, multiple SATA and IDE ports, and a full array of external serial, parallel, and USB ports. CPUs can be removed and replaced. Voltage regulators allow for overclocking. Additionally all peripherals are designed to be removable and interchangeable. Consoles have few of these features: they are mostly proprietary integrated designs with mostly non-removable parts. They typically offer the bare minimum of expansion options. Proprietary integrated design both makes fabrication cheaper and typically allows for more efficient bus/memory bandwidth performance. But you aren't going to be able to plug in a new CPU a year or two later for 20-40% speedups. Wink

2) Durability. Gaming PCs especially typically have high-end PSUs, multiple methods of case and component cooling, and large cases for improved airflow. Consoles are designed to run just under the thermal "breaking point" and typically have many more overheating problems (especially in households in warm climates without air conditioning).

3) Display included. If you're comparing console prices to PC prices, always compare PCs w/o the display, since no console includes a $200+ LCD as part of it's price tag. Wink

Less obvious differences:

4) The Intel/AMD CPU design is still one of the the best around for multitasking operating systems, due to its refined implementations of exception handling, memory protection, virtualization, and internal cache management features. Sure linux can run on a PS2 or PS3, but it is not the same as running on x86/x64. The x86/x64 architecture offers more features for process and system stability and large-scale multi-threaded applications (such as mid-size webservers).
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
There are a few things that everyone knows:

1. PlayStation 3 slimline no longer supports PlayStation 2 games due to Emotion Engine removal
2. Linux can be install on a PlayStation 3 as an operating system
3. PCSX2 is a PlayStation 2 emulator for Windows and Linux

Err, um... maybe a stupid idea to be sure. But, will we be able to...
(04-12-2010, 06:49 PM)Livy the pixie Wrote: 1. PlayStation 3 slimline no longer supports PlayStation 2 games due to Emotion Engine removal

But not everyone knows that even before the slim PS3 is released, Sony has pulled the plug of the PS2 support completely on the last revision of the fat PS3.

(04-12-2010, 06:49 PM)Livy the pixie Wrote: 2. Linux can be install on a PlayStation 3 as an operating system

And everyone also knows you can't install Windows on it.
But not everyone knows you can only install some versions of Linux, not all of 'em.

(04-12-2010, 06:49 PM)Livy the pixie Wrote: 3. PCSX2 is a PlayStation 2 emulator for Windows and Linux

And if anyone has the time to compile (and debug) it, Mac too.

(04-12-2010, 06:49 PM)Livy the pixie Wrote: Err, um... maybe a stupid idea to be sure. But, will we be able to...

Assuming PCSX2 source can be compiled against a PS3 Linux kernel, maybe, but YMMV.

Then again, what's the point of supporting PCSX2 on PS3 when we're trying to play PS2 games in the comfort of our desktops and/or laptops?
Intel C2D E6550 2.33GHz ([email protected])
Corsair CM2X1024 4GB (4x1GB) DDR2 DRAM
ASUS P5K
XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB

Running on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
No!!!! It doesn't need.
[Image: pibjimh9rqzvk1yz5kl.jpg]

PCSX2 works on an x86 architecture. The PS3 doesn't have an x86 CPU.