Does Anisotropic Filtering work in the emu?
Yes it is Squall. MLAA is a smart filter that's what makes it different vs a box or tent filter like AMD had before. MLAA uses an algorithm to determine edges and then applies a blur selectively to those edges. It doesn't work at all on subpixel objects as it cannot detect those edges smaller then a pixel. It cannot reconstruct geometry that doesn't already exist and it sometimes chooses an edge that isn't an edge but it's not a dumb filter. It's a smart/selective/adaptive filter.

Sponsored links

The problem is the way edges are defined. My guess is that edges are defined to be rough transitions between colors (say white to black or yellow to dark red, etc). So if the scene contains a lot of rough color transitions, MLAA will be applied to the whole scene. This is especially noticeable with texts.

Anyways, I forced MLAA on and tested 3 PS2 games. To my surprise, it actually looks good with PCSX2. Good AA with minimal performance hit.
Nappa: Vegeta! What does the scouter say about his power level?
Vegeta: It's...one thousand and six.
Nappa: Wh-...really?
Vegeta: Yeah! Beat him up Nappa!
Nappa: Yay!
Yeah each version of MLAA seems to do that differently. Though the general consensus is of course the better algorithms for finding the edge are more expensive. I know one of the cheaper ones is to use luminance which is basically brightness. So that tend to use sharp contrast between light an dark get a lot on edges detected while games that are mostly midtones don't.
Real men use real AA. Smile
Too bad ATI doesn't allow SSAA in DX10+. My 5870 should have no problem rendering a PS2 frame 8 times at 1080P. Be nice to put that 60+ GT/s fillrate to use.
(05-11-2011, 04:45 AM)dralor Wrote: Yes it is Squall. MLAA is a smart filter that's what makes it different vs a box or tent filter like AMD had before. MLAA uses an algorithm to determine edges and then applies a blur selectively to those edges. It doesn't work at all on subpixel objects as it cannot detect those edges smaller then a pixel. It cannot reconstruct geometry that doesn't already exist and it sometimes chooses an edge that isn't an edge but it's not a dumb filter. It's a smart/selective/adaptive filter.

lol, do you work for AMD? stop posting bullcrap, MLAA is not a selective filter at all. Its meant to be placed between layers of rendering objects, as it affects everything on screen if placed wrong, like the MLAA option does in CCC.

Any filter which works off a lack of subpixel information is a dumb filter.

Its not an Edge detect filter at all, though if you enable the actual edge detect MSAA technique along side it, it works better in this regards.
Yes it is weather you want to believe or not is another matter and no I wish though. Just a coder monkey with an interest in tech including graphics tech. though you are somewhat right it was designed to be run on the framebuffer before the HUD has been applied as it's 2 major downsides are it doesn't do anything to subpixel objects and it can make text look really bad if applied to it.
(05-11-2011, 05:01 AM)dr_thrax Wrote: Anyways, I forced MLAA on and tested 3 PS2 games. To my surprise, it actually looks good with PCSX2. Good AA with minimal performance hit.

uhmm, may I know what games are those? If I have them, it's nice to give it a try. Happy
(05-12-2011, 09:44 PM)DUL7 Wrote: uhmm, may I know what games are those? If I have them, it's nice to give it a try. Happy

I'm sure it works for any games, but the ones I tested were Rouge Galaxy, Gundam vs Zeta Gundam and Fate/Unlimited.
Nappa: Vegeta! What does the scouter say about his power level?
Vegeta: It's...one thousand and six.
Nappa: Wh-...really?
Vegeta: Yeah! Beat him up Nappa!
Nappa: Yay!
(05-13-2011, 01:51 AM)dr_thrax Wrote: I'm sure it works for any games, but the ones I tested were Rouge Galaxy, Gundam vs Zeta Gundam and Fate/Unlimited.

Thanks. That's too bad, I don't have those games. Uhmm, I tried it with FFXII but it didn't seem to do anything except slowed the emu a bit. Btw, FFXII looks so good with AA turned on to 8x. (with the GSdx hack ofcourse)

*digs up this thread*

As was stated in this thread, forcing AF via the driver does not work.
However, it did work some time ago. I found an old posting of me where I demonstrated the difference in SOTC: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-The-use-o...9#pid22769
Seems like it was forcing mip mapping along with the AF.

Now I'm not sure why it doesn't work anymore. Is it because of changes within GSDX, or changes Nvidia made in their drivers?
Sadly, I have no idea which version of PCSX2 or GSDX I was using at that time.