Does BIOS versions make a difference?
The thread title says it all. I have three rigs that have PCSX2 in them running with the PS2 Bios v1.60, they are:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66 GHZ, 2GB DDR2 Ram with ATI Radeon 4650
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40 GHZ, 3.25GB DDR2 Ram with ATI Radeon 4850
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.50 Ghz, 3GB DDR2 Ram with GeForce GTS 250 (It's basically a 9800GTX+)

and while I can play the games at 50-60 FPS, they aren't exactly stable and I basically "copied" of settings from a certain YouTube video that I watched that played the game perfectly but one factor I noticed is that his PS2 Bios is V2.00, could the bios version be a factor?

edit: I forgot to add in that the games I play are the WWE Smackdown series of games, and as far as I know from what I've read in this forum that it's quite a demanding title.

Sponsored links

No, BIOS version has no effect on speed whatsoever.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
Ah thanks anyways, changing the speedhacks from x3 to x2 actually gave the game a boost on Smackdown vs Raw 2009. Can't say the same on SvR 10, but I wouldn't dare dabble with overclocking the CPU though, so a messy 45-60 fps works for me.

Interestingly, all three video cards performed exactly the same. Despite the Radeon 4650 being a mid-ranged card and the other two up in the higher tier. I guess any card from GeForce 8600 GT and above is totally fair game, huh.

Just out of curiosity, what are the rigs of most of the PCSX2 developers? It would be good for future reference.
Yeah most (if not all) games are very CPU bound, so a stronger graphics card will do very little to no difference.

Most devs have Core 2 Duo/Core 2 Quad with some testers having upgraded to Core i7 (damn you! Tongue)
[Image: newsig.jpg]
hehe can't w8 for the new 6core cpu's tough they wont improve speed much since pcsx2 wont use all cores Laugh i could leave a ton of programs running at the same timeLaugh that would be sweet
i knew about them so thats why i didn't get an i7 Laugh and im stuck with core 2 duo
(05-10-2010, 10:01 PM)hectic1 Wrote: hehe can't w8 for the new 6core cpu's tough they wont improve speed much since pcsx2 wont use all cores Laugh i could leave a ton of programs running at the same timeLaugh that would be sweet
i knew about them so thats why i didn't get an i7 Laugh and im stuck with core 2 duo

amd's 6 core cpu's are out already and at the price of 300 eu or dollars +- u can get the power of i7 965 (and that thing costs 500 +- right?) with those now u can make a 700euro asskicking pc! sorry for being out of topic :/
ps:ofc intel rocks!!!
OS: Win 7 Ultimate x64 sp1, MoBo: Asus P5QD Turbo, CPU: Q6600 @ 3,0Ghz, RAM: Trancend 2x2gb 6-6-6-18 800 MHz, GPU: HD 4850 1gb.
Pcsx2: Always Latest
(05-07-2010, 08:02 AM)Bositman Wrote: Yeah most (if not all) games are very CPU bound, so a stronger graphics card will do very little to no difference.
This is quite true (yeah, I know you said most), but TimeSplitters Future Perfect is a good example as being quite graphics bound (anyone notice that game likes to crash a bit if you make the internal res higher?). I notice the GS thread usage shoots up quite high. Unless it's a fault in GSDX? o.O

I'd lol if the different BIOS versions even had a slight performance difference.

(05-10-2010, 10:01 PM)hectic1 Wrote: can't w8 for the new 6core cpu's
They're out already. Well, here in Australia anyway.

Intel i7 980X Price Range: $1,305.00 to $1,734.34AU at 50 stores.

I guess crazy people would actually spend that much on just 1 hardware component, and I seem to be one of them.

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
$336.00 - $436.15AU

(05-10-2010, 10:10 PM)iakoboss7 Wrote: amd's 6 core cpu's are out already and at the price of 300 eu or dollars +- u can get the power of i7 965 (and that thing costs 500 +- right?) with those now u can make a 700euro asskicking pc! sorry for being out of topic :/
ps:ofc intel rocks!!!
Eh. My 965 cost me $1,700AU in February 2009 xD

Not gonna get the 980X 6 core cpu though. Waiting till an even faster/better comes out! Then I might need another motherboard with a different socket.

Unless of course, AMD comes out with a CPU that dominates every-single Intel CPU (Which I doubt will happen since I read somewhere that Intel paid AMD so that AMD's CPU's don't outperform them therefor Intel looses $ >.>).

Edit: Just realised hectic is banned. Doh!
Ivy Bridge 3770K @ 3.9GHz - MSI TwinFrozr GTX680 4GB...
...Nerpyderp.
Ah yes the Core i7. Tis very frustrating, as I only got the Core 2 Q8400 back in November, had I waited 2 more weeks and added an extra $50/100, I would already be basking in the joy of owning the beautiful piece of machinery. I could always trade it in but one more PC in the house wouldn't hurt, as I like to host lan parties. I even have an old AGP Machine with a 3Ghz Pentium D and a Radeon 3850(PCSX2 is quite unbearable in this machine).

Anyway, thanks for all the help.
if you're not willing to overclock then you have got no choice but to get a better CPU
My New PC
[Image: 1714419.png]
[Image: stargate_sg_1_stamp_by_OmegaDreamSeeker11.jpg]
(05-13-2010, 03:18 PM)anito9999 Wrote: if you're not willing to overclock then you have got no choice but to get a better CPU

Yep. I'm getting me one of the lower end i7's in about 6 months/when I get the money.