Does PCSX2 Benefit from Faster RAM?
I just upgraded my mobo and in doing so I had to buy new RAM, my question is whether pcsx2 will benefit from my switch-over to DDR3 over DDR2?

Sponsored links

for me it did, I switched from DDR2-800 to DDR3-1600.

Played FFX-2 and the FMV in the game ran on DDR2-800 on 42 fps, whereas with the DDR3-1600 it went up to 55-58 fps Smile
(01-10-2013, 05:06 AM)StriFe79 Wrote: for me it did, I switched from DDR2-800 to DDR3-1600.

Played FFX-2 and the FMV in the game ran on DDR2-800 on 42 fps, whereas with the DDR3-1600 it went up to 55-58 fps Smile

But you changed more than ram sticks, right?

OP: try lowering the ram frequency and see what happens.
(01-10-2013, 03:31 PM)morcia4 Wrote: But you changed more than ram sticks, right?

OP: try lowering the ram frequency and see what happens.

Why?

Although not doubling the performance, upgrading the RAM is a major performance gain, it is true even for faster RAM on the same category but a greater one migrating from DDR2 to DDR3. Just may not be worthy replacing the present memory by another of same type.

Of course is expected the mobo is able to keep with the faster memory.
Imagination is where we are truly real
Thank you for your answers. I now know that pcsx2's performance is scalable to the speed of the RAM. Awesome!
It's not easy to tell how big the gain would be though.
RAM speed is only important when it was a bottleneck before.
Modern Intel systems for example benefit very little from going from DDR3 1333 to DDR3 2000.
There is a benefit but in PCSX2 for example, I guess it'd be about 5% only.
One big performance increase you can get on any L3 cache enabled AMD CPU is to clock your HT Links/NB through the roof, as that's what they base the fetch&decode and the L3 cache speed on, instead of running it at full speed like Intel does. Depending on how high your CPU is clocked, and how high you clock the NB/HT Links, you could get a 15-30% increase on the Phenom II, Bulldozer, and Piledriver series.
Well Morcia yeah I changed motherboard, but if that really make everything run faster maybe, even so I ran the same CPU on a different board with a different chipset so that might be it dunno. Even so RAM can have a performance profit, I even noticed it a little when I went from 4 GByte DDR2-800 to 8 GByte DDR2-1066. On the 790X chipset board with the current cpu.