Does "detected" CPU speed affect performance?
I have an AMD Athlon64 2GHZ, running on a motherboard that supports "Cool And Quiet" technology, meaning that when my processor is not being heavily used, it switches to 1GHZ to save power and run cooler. When PCSX2 is starting up, it shows I have an Athlon64 1GHZ. Will this detection affect the performance of the emulator? Does the emulator save this number and then base it's CPU usage on it?

I tried playing Gradius V the other day, as it is a blue disc and my PS2 no longer reads it. I was able to play (albeit with some slowdown) the first time I ran it, but after that, it ran super choppy and pretty much unplayable. Just wondering if the detected CPU speed would cause this.

Sponsored links

Disable Cool n Quiet when using PCSX2, it's a known problem
www.twitch.tv/krazytrumpeter05
Want to stream your games? Let me know and I can help you get set up with Open Broadcaster Software.
No, it doesn't affect performance. Most probably when you boot up a game your processor will disable CnQ and run at its' full speed (since it will detect the large load from PCSX2)
[Image: newsig.jpg]
PCSX2 doesn't care what your CPU speed is. It reports it for your information only. However if the CPU speed is being reported as 1ghz at startup then there's a slim chance you're not getting as much umph out of your CPU as you should be while running games. To make sure your CPU is running as it should, download CPU-Z and run it in the background while running a game. It'll give you a realtime update of your actual CPU clock speeds.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
(08-30-2009, 06:55 PM)Air Wrote: it should, download CPU-Z and run it in the background while running a game. It'll give you a realtime update of your actual CPU clock speeds.
Thanks! I tested with CPU-Z and it is running at the full 2GHZ. Just wanted to make sure. Tongue