Does the OSD have some kind of requirements
The only thing I can use is DX9SW and no matter what I try,there is no text on the screen while running the bios even if I enable the monitor along with log.

Maybe it doesn't work in DX9 mode?

And btw why the "Indicator" option is grayed out?

Sponsored links

AFAIK, the OSD only works on OpenGL renderer. The contributor who implemented the OSD function was on a Linux build system, so the implementation was limited to the OpenGL renderer.

However, it isn't really hard to port if you know how to code D3D stuff, not personally interested as I don't really care about the OSD. Tongue

Quote:And btw why the "Indicator" option is grayed out?

Flatout was the one who added it, I wonder why he even added that in the first place if it's grayed out all time.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
Actually I started the work, mostly the backend part. And another (Linux) contributor, finish the job. As far as I remember, I used the GSDevice API, so Dx could be mostly a copy/past + minor fixes.
(01-26-2017, 12:09 PM)ssakash Wrote: Flatout was the one who added it, I wonder why he even added that in the first place if it's grayed out all time.
Don't blame me, I didn't add it. I ported the GUI to Windows and merely greyed out the indicator function because I noticed it currently doesn't do anything... Since it's still there I assume functionality will be added at some point.

@gregory: I remember having a quick look at how easy it would be to port it. It does seem to use some functions that do not have a clear D3D equivalent.
Quote: @gregory: I remember having a quick look at how easy it would be to port it. It does seem to use some functions that do not have a clear D3D equivalent.
Any example? I don't remember well the implementation.
The indicator feature was something I thought would be fun. It would have displayed a glyph on the screen at half normal alpha and then when some trigger happens it would be displayed at its full alpha. Could be useful for indicating button presses or some specific state in the emulator like turbo on or off. I wanted a way for the user to setup custom glyphs, not just ones in a font file. I never came up with a good interface for that so I left the code that does the work, but I never tied it back to any thing. I had a hack in that showed button presses using letter glyphs (UDLR TSCX) but it was dirty and I don't think it made it into the final pull request.

The OSD Manager it self ?should be? fairly agnostic to what display method is being used. But I have zero D3D experience to know how close OpenGL and D3D primitives are. You pass it a buffer and it writes the font texture into it, then you pass it a another buffer and it writes triangles and tx coords into it.