Does this framerate sound reasonable
Hello.

I have PCSX2 0.98 running on a E series Core 2 Duo processor with 2MB L2 cache and running at 3.0GHz. My OS is XP Pro SP3 32 bit, DirectX 9.0c.

The game I'm primarily interested in is Soul Calibur III and it runs in-game at 30-35 FPS, which makes it pretty rough. I have played around with the presets and some individual tweaks, but nothing seems to change the framerate much. I have it rendering at the PS2's internal resolution and video output at 640x480 without vsync, both of which have a significant impact if I try to go any higher.

My machine includes a modest GeForce 8500 GT, but I recently tried a GTS 250 (also on DirectX 9.0c), with identical results.

Does 30-35 FPS sound reasonable for my setup, or could I have screwed up with the setup somewhere?

Sponsored links

Although I don't have that game, it's known as demanding (if I recall correctly). The things you should try are indeed the speed hacks and/or the frameskiping (if that game is not too sensible to them).

But, make sure to have that little box "Disable framelimiting" not ticked, so to avoid the game going over the correct FPS.

Abusing the speedhacks is not the better idea, try them in the middle point and try the frameskiping... something like 2:2 is a good first try.
Imagination is where we are truly real
(05-19-2011, 04:19 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: Although I don't have that game, it's known as demanding (if I recall correctly). The things you should try are indeed the speed hacks and/or the frameskiping (if that game is not too sensible to them).

But, make sure to have that little box "Disable framelimiting" not ticked, so to avoid the game going over the correct FPS.

Abusing the speedhacks is not the better idea, try them in the middle point and try the frameskiping... something like 2:2 is a good first try.

Thanks for the feedback. It's good to know this is actually a demanding game.

I did try almost all of the preset slider positions and did not see much gain. I only played briefly with frameskipping and was not too encouraged, but I will try again tonight, based on your recommendation.

One more question I just thought of:
I plan to switch over to Windows 7 64 bit; should I see a performance improvement or is PCSX2 not configured to take advantage of a 64 bit OS?
Not a great improvement in performance, still the 32 bits era is practically over, win7 is a big improvement in reliability on overall fashion... but it has some stupid details too (it would not be MS otherwise)... the first and probably more important is knowing at once you must NEVER install games in the default C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86)...
Imagination is where we are truly real