Dolphin limit
Lightbulb 
Hi, guys
I've been searching how to limit games and accidently reading limit on dolphin wich is good idea.
Ok, here's come.
In dolphin they not use "Base Framerate" they limit with fps check (ntsc=60fps,pal=50fps) wich mean nominal limit not percentage but fps itself,right?
If we implement it and use "no base framerate" but use limit framerate itself (fps) . I gues that fix many games wich has 30fps base framerate . Strong machine will have smooth as butter movement speed since limit not use base framerate. And also will speed up games that feels slow even we achieve fullspeed.
What do you think? Smile

Sponsored links

Im waiting dev replies Smile
Wouldnt change much imo. If your not getting full fps in dolphin youll get the same slowdown as you do in pcsx2. Its just a different path to the same result. I havent used dolphin in a while though, so I could be wrong (only really use it for ssb).
[Image: jmt41l-2.png]
SSD: 250GB | HDD: 2TB | GPU: MSI GTX 970 4G Gaming
totally different emulator, totally different requirements. also, there are different code instructions for the emulators. apples and oranges...
OS: Linux Mint 17.2 64 bit (occasional Antergos/Arch user)
(I am no longer a Windows user)
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258
GPU: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti

This time I couldn't understand the proposal at all.

If has anything to do with I think you mean, even if a game runs at 30 FPS on actual PS2, it's output is still 60Hz (NTSC) and could not be different because is what the TV expects and still what PS2 uses as reference and what PCSX2 tries to provide so it can sync the whole emulation.

I have no Idea about Dolphin, never tried using it because I have neither the device nor games to run.

Billy, PCSX2 devs have done complex pieces of code to get performance for PCSX2 and would not fail to see such simple solution if it was one. But it is not even about optimizing to run a certain game, that would not be emulation even but a porting of the game to PC and this is not the emulator's purpose.

I understand you want PCSX2 being able to run all games on slow machines, just it is not that simple if at all possible.

Besides, Dolphin emulates a system much more like PC architecture than PS2, for starters it has a clear definition of CPU and GPU and the games are made to send to GPU what is to go to GPU, directly. PS2 has a complex interaction between EE, 2x VU, a graphics interface and GS itself. There is no clear definition about what is or should be addressed to GPU.

Simply transferring to the GPU the VUs job present some problems, but could be where the greater leap on performance would come. The reason is simple, the GPU is specialized in dealing with vectors and the kind of vector operations commonly used in graphics... at least at what it is somehow alike DirectX or OpenGL, or even OpenCL but not even in this PS2 is standard.

Wii uses a slight modified ATI card for graphics device, what leads me to believe it uses APIs not so alien to what is on PC, I may be wrong, as stated already, I don't know Dolphin. What I know for sure is Wii and PS2 are two completely different "animals".
Imagination is where we are truly real
Yes, i do really know pcsx2 and dolphin are far different cos i don't talk about emulating both emu, but i talk about frame limit only.
What im purpose is make pcsx2 there no more limit based "framerate base" or may be an option limit without using "framerate base" but framerate itself (fps).
Ok, here the idea.
If your cpu able draw 120 complete frame (1 second) then 60 frame was used this event (1 second) then next frame is delayed for next even (next 1 second).
I know it sound simple, but it's about limiting frame guys. Smile
(04-17-2013, 03:36 AM)Dante3hs Wrote: Wouldnt change much imo. If your not getting full fps in dolphin youll get the same slowdown as you do in pcsx2. Its just a different path to the same result. I havent used dolphin in a while though, so I could be wrong (only really use it for ssb).

yes, i know that. If we don't use limit based on "framerate base" and use fps itself . It may fix some games that run faster on games that has lower "framerate base" e.g Red Star,The (U) and give smoother movement without increasing framerate base (e.g ntsc=120,pal=100) if you have strong machine. Smile
Trying to frame limit based on the screen update rate would not work in PS2 games. At best you'd get some games working as well as now and the rest being too fast, at worst no game limits properly.
(04-17-2013, 11:31 AM)rama Wrote: Trying to frame limit based on the screen update rate would not work in PS2 games. At best you'd get some games working as well as now and the rest being too fast, at worst no game limits properly.
Yes, that happen on dolphin too. Games become too fast. But they has audio throtle wich limit speed.
hmm... ( ' ',)... I don't know it possible or not,If those condition above can be granted?
I have another idea, like this:
I call it framerate hack.
If fps down then framerate decreased too.
Framerate must multiple by it standard region (ntsc=6,pal=5)
E.g for ntsc :
Framerate should multiple by 6 = 6,12,18,24...60
If games run above 54fps , then framerate=60
If games run above 48fps, then framerate =54
If above 42fps, then framerate=48
If above 6fps, then framerate=12
What do you think? Because it speed up many games e.g guitar hero II,Crash n' burn,The Red Star,and many other games too.
And about where to put it?
It put on speedhack tab and give thick box on GUI like other hack.what do you think? I know it agressive hack since other hack EE and VU slider only work for some games too. Thank you Smile
(04-17-2013, 11:55 AM)billyash Wrote: Yes, that happen on dolphin too. Games become too fast. But they has audio throtle wich limit speed.
hmm... ( ' ',)... I don't know it possible or not,If those condition above can be granted?
I have another idea, like this:
I call it framerate hack.
If fps down then framerate decreased too.
Framerate must multiple by it standard region (ntsc=6,pal=5)
E.g for ntsc :
Framerate should multiple by 6 = 6,12,18,24...60
If games run above 54fps , then framerate=60
If games run above 48fps, then framerate =54
If above 42fps, then framerate=48
If above 6fps, then framerate=12
What do you think? Because it speed up many games e.g guitar hero II,Crash n' burn,The Red Star,and many other games too.
And about where to put it?
It put on speedhack tab and give thick box on GUI like other hack.what do you think? I know it agressive hack since other hack EE and VU slider only work for some games too. Thank you Smile

What is being missed is: PCSX2 works as it is. Of course there are those games which circumvent the optimizations or have their own post processing which the emulator does not "translate" well yet and come out as glitches or performance loss, but this is totally different subject and solutions involve increasing accuracy probably hurting yet more the nowadays performance.

PS2 games were designed to run on PS2, and each game developer was free to implement whatever they envisioned to make their own games perform better on PS2 and so each game is different on how to achieve this. The only thing granting they work as expected is PS2 tight control on events sync and timings. Removing this common factor is not sensible line of thought.

So, Your proposal to change what is working (at least for fast enough machines) to implement something involving breaking what makes it to work is getting too far already.

You are treating games and configurations at case basis, that's OK, that particular game works well with that particular setup on your machine... that's good, is the way to go. Just it is not the same for everybody else, surely is not good to those able to run the games with a configuration they don't need to change for each game to compensate the loss of sync.

Billy, try to understand this once and for all, PCSX2 works fine for reasonably fast machines of today, changes in the way it works which involves losing control is not the way to go.

In the analogy at the PM I told you your proposal is the same as removing the security mechanisms of a car to reduce it's load, all but the most basic "all or nothing" brake and replacing the conscious and responsible driver by a psycho without notion of limits who go deep on the throttle all the time using the bumpers to keep the car on the track.

That may work while the car is weak and could not go fast anyway and already struggle to keep at speed limits on the ascends and the plain... but the first descending this will not be good for this puny car and it's driver (if is a driver at all)... worse... much worse... it is already a "suicide" if the car is a powerful sport machine.
Imagination is where we are truly real