Dragon Quest 8 FMV slow down
Hi  Smile

I hope someone can help me with this issue. During start up and FMV sequences in the game playing on version 1.4 I get slow downs to around 50% normal speed. The game afterwards runs fine and easily up to 160 fps no problem. I didn't have the issue on 1.2.1, but only 1.4 has a good solution for the text artifacts, so I really want to play it on that version. Is there maybe some new auto throttle for FMV or something?

specs are:

i7 2,8 ghz + gtx 760 with 8 gb RAM. The system runs every PS 2 game in max resolution really well, it's just the FMV that seems to behave weirdly.

I have all the speed hacks enabled to max (lowering didn't change anything for better or worse), run the thing in DX11 (changing didn't do anything as well) on 3x native.

It's not game breaking, just very annoying. If anyone has a solution or just an idea I'd appreciate it. Thank you for your time.

Sponsored links

Have you tried the switch to software for an FMV game fix (Config > Emulation Settings > Game Fixes tab, the third option from the bottom)?
what do the ee% & gs% say when it slows down ?
are you using open gl renderer or dx renderer ?

which exact I7 model to you have ?
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(05-10-2016, 04:57 PM)jesalvein Wrote: what do the ee% & gs% say when it slows down ?
are you using open gl renderer or dx renderer ?

which exact I7 model to you have ?

ee 98% gs 1-7% using DX 11 renderer

i7 930 2,8 Ghz

I tried the software mode game fix and nothing changed. Speed is stuck at around 63% during the opening FMV and all FMV that follow.
Your CPU is struggling . it's bit weak since its str is around 1200.
Try setting 3 extra sw rendering threads in gsdx before using the fix flatout suggested
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(05-10-2016, 06:36 PM)jesalvein Wrote: Your CPU is struggling . it's bit weak since its str is around 1200.
Try setting 3 extra sw rendering threads in gsdx before using the fix flatout suggested

Didn't change anything. It's a weird issue. It runs with 130 fps w/o limiter and 3x native and all other graphic imp. stuff on older versions. But if there's no new setting for FMV in 1.4, I guess I'll have to either go back to an older version or live with the slow down during the FMV scenes, as it runs great otherwise.

Thanks for all your input.
It is his settings I have lesser system or drivers

PCSX2 1.5.0-20160509094534 - compiled on May  9 2016
and
Stable 1.40
Automatic game fixes = checked
364.96 nvidia drivers

Cut Scenes/FMV run full speed just like the game
If it not listed below it all defaults

GSDX settings

Code:
OpenGL 3x
bilinear forced
crc hack = none
Accurate data=on
blend accuracy unit=basic

GSDX Shader settings
Code:
//#[ANTIALIASING TECHNIQUES]   [1=ON|0=OFF]  #READ: For best results: Use gsdx fx antialiasing OR filtering. Not both together.
#define UHQ_FXAA                    1      //# High Quality Fast Approximate Anti Aliasing. If GSdx's internal FXAA is also enabled, this equals FXAA2x.[3D]

//#[FS SCALING TECHNIQUES]    [1=ON|0=OFF]  #READ: For best results: Only enable one type of filtering at one time. Use post antialiasing OR FS filtering, not both.
#define BILINEAR_FILTERING          0     //# Bilinear Fullscreen Texture Filtering. BiLinear filtering - light to medium filtering of textures.[2D]
#define BICUBIC_FILTERING           0     //# Bicubic Fullscreen Texture Filtering. BiCubic filtering - medium to strong filtering of textures.[2D]
#define GAUSSIAN_FILTERING          0     //# Gaussian Fullscreen Texture Filtering. Gaussian filtering - strong to extra strong filtering of textures.[2D]
#define BICUBLIC_SCALER             0     //# Bicubic Interpolation Scaling. Uses BCS on up scaling, and downsampling of games, for smoother scaling.
#define LANCZOS_SCALER              0     //# Lanczos Interpolation Scaling. Uses Lanczos on up scaling, and downsampling of games for smoother scaling.

//#[LIGHTING & COLOUR]         [1=ON|0=OFF]  #READ: These can all be turned on & off independently of each other. [For High Dynamic Range(HDR) use Bloom & Tonemapping together]
#define BLENDED_BLOOM               1      //# High Quality SP Bloom. Soft lighting with blending techniques, for a natural looking bloom.
#define SCENE_TONEMAPPING           1      //# HDR Scene Tonemapping. Layered component conversion, and applies scene tone mapping.
#define COLOR_CORRECTION            0      //# Component Color Correction. Colorspace conversion, with correction curves, and multiple palette types.
#define CROSS_PROCESSING            0      //# Filmic Cross Processing. Alters the tone of the scene, crossing the game's color set, with another.
#define GAMMA_CORRECTION            1      //# RGB Gamma Correction. Fixed expansion to variable compression gamma correction curve.
#define PIXEL_VIBRANCE              1      //# Pixel Vibrance. Intelligently adjusts pixel vibrance depending on original color saturation.
#define COLOR_GRADING               0      //# Post-Complement Colour Grading. Alters individual colour components on a scene, to enhance selected colour tones.
#define TEXTURE_SHARPEN             1      //# Bicubic Texture Unsharpen Mask. Looks similar to a negative texture LOD bias. Enhances texture fidelity.
#define CURVE_CONTRAST              1      //# S-Curve Scene Contrast Enhancement. Locally adjusts contrast using a four-point cubic bezier spline.
#define CEL_SHADING                 0      //# PX Cel Shading. Simulates the look of animation/toon. Typically best suited for animated style games.
#define PAINT_SHADING               0      //# Paint Shading. Creates the effect of a painted scene. Adapted from ENB series, it's pretty performance heavy.

//#[TV EMU TECHNIQUES]         [1=ON|0=OFF]  #READ: These can all be turned on & off independently of each other. These effects are typically used to simulated older TVs/CRT etc.
#define LOTTES_CRT                  0     //# Timothy Lottes CRT emulation effect. Similar to scanlines, but with more control options. Ported by request.
#define SCANLINES                   0     //# Scanlines to simulate the look of a CRT TV. Typically suited to sprite games. Note: Works best at Native Res.
#define VIGNETTE                    0     //# Darkens the edges of the screen, to make it look more like it was shot with a camera lens.
#define DEBANDING                   1     //# Applies a debanding effect, to minimize banding artifacts. Which is usually very prevalent in skyboxes (for example).
#define SP_DITHERING                1     //# Subpixel Dithering to simulate more colors than your monitor can display. Smoothes gradiants, this can reduce color banding.
#define PX_BORDER                   1     //# Creates a pixel border, as a workaround for the bright edge that using hardware antialiasing(MSAA) can cause. (Ported by request from SFX).

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)