Dragon Quest 8 Slowdown during Battles / World Map
(06-26-2011, 04:13 AM)terranzin Wrote: I thought that the speed is supposed to be 3.2ghz or you're *****.
If that i5 is some low power consumption, then you are probably lucky that you have Intel, as PCSX2 works generally a bit faster with intel cpus. Althrough with AMD underclocked to as low as 2.3ghz I could play at full speed at quite a few games too. Only some require 3ghz+.

And about normal PC games generally any CPU over 2ghz c2d is overkill for current pc games, for testing I once get Crisis 2 running at 2 cores 2.3ghz ea and had no slowdowns;P. Even easier with them as they can use all 4 cores of your cpu.

Sponsored links

(06-26-2011, 04:24 AM)miseru99 Wrote: If that i5 is some low power consumption, then you are probably lucky that you have Intel, as PCSX2 works generally a bit faster with intel cpus. Althrough with AMD underclocked to as low as 2.3ghz I could play at full speed at quite a few games too. Only some require 3ghz+.

And about normal PC games generally any CPU over 2ghz c2d is overkill for current pc games, for testing I once get Crisis 2 running at 2 cores 2.3ghz ea and had no slowdowns;P. Even easier with them as they can use all 4 cores of your cpu.

OK... so is there anyway I can use all the cores of my CPU or is it doing so already?

Also, are there any links so I can learn about this stuff in layman's terms? I want to understand this for future reference. I kind of get it though, thanks.
(06-26-2011, 04:23 AM)terranzin Wrote: Then why

1) Does my laptop still run other claimed CPU intensive games very well?

Native-PC games and emulated PS2 games are a whole different ball game. Those native-PC games are optimized to run on your CPU's architecture, and can take full advantage of most of their properties (i.e. the extra cores/threads PCSX2 will not use).

(06-26-2011, 04:23 AM)terranzin Wrote: and

2) The list make reference to game which can run "only" at 3Ghz.... but mine is lower so shouldn't mine be running those poorly too? I tried a couple of those games and they ran perfectly fine. So why does the list imply that anything lower than 3Ghz couldn't pull it off when my 1.6 Ghz can?

It all depends on the architecture of said processor, not just simply the number. This is called a "clock-for-clock advantage", and the Core i do have greater potentcy per clock than the previous (i.e. Core 2, or any current AMD).

Yes, your CPU will do quite well for being at 1.6Ghz (respectively). You are still looking at what is at least a full 1.0Ghz short of what's recommended for the architecture.

Will PCSX2 run fast on my computer?
(06-26-2011, 04:35 AM)Rezard Wrote: Native-PC games and emulated PS2 games are a whole different ball game. Those native-PC games are optimized to run on your CPU's architecture, and can take full advantage of most of their properties (i.e. the extra cores/threads PCSX2 will not use).

It all depends on the architecture of said processor, not just simply the number. This is called a "clock-for-clock advantage", and the Core i do have greater potentcy per clock than the previous (i.e. Core 2, or any current AMD).

Yes, your CPU will do quite well for being at 1.6Ghz (respectively). You are still looking at what is at least a full 1.0Ghz short of what's recommended for the architecture.

Will PCSX2 run fast on my computer?

For the first part, I was referring to games on PCSX2, sorry I didn't specify.

OK, I learned a bit about CPU's today then... so I don't have any options with this processor then? I suppose I can deal with the slowdown since it's not prevalent.
Yeah, there's nothing you can really do in that situation. The CPU is slow, and OCing it is most likely out of the question. Use Speedhacks to help with slow down from your CPU, and sometimes it may surprise you, but not likely enough with those dubbed "CPU intensive".
If your CPU was around 1ghz with 1.6ghz turbo mode oryginally, after OC it to 1.3ghz you get close to 2ghz in turbo, that would be about the speed you are playing and probably will not get any better of it.
PCSX2 currently and probably for long time if ever that would change is limited to use 2 cores, soo speed of each is more important than amount of cores.
If you wanna learn why, would be nice to start from some understanding of the term "emulation", it's basically a try to recreate one system inside other one. Someway a conversion. Like when you load fuel into your car engine you convert only 30% or even less of it to mechanical energy, everything else is lost for heat and other useless stuff. Same with your cpu power you load it to emulator which try to convert that power to PS2 engine, but alot of it is lost couse the difference between how they work and how were build. That's why you cannot expect having same speed in emulator as you have in native PC games. Other than that google's your best friend for any info probably.