Dragon Quest VIII resolution
Hello everybody. 

I seem to be having a problem playing DQ8 on anything higher than native resolution. Whenever I put it even a little bit higher than native, I drop down to 10fps or less. I've never really had this problem with any other game before and I'm not sure what to do. I haven't done a ton to change my settings so most are set at default I believe. 

I'm playing on an Asus G73SW -  specs: http://www.pcworld.com/product/815395/as...ebook.html

Also I have access to the game disc if that could help at all. I'm not too knowledgeable on this kind of stuff so if anybody has any ideas on how I might be able to fix this by changing settings or something, it would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored links

DQ8 is basically GPU taxing.
since your GPu is a bit on the low side, it's not surprising.
I guess you won't be able to push higher than 2x native if you want to avoid slowdowns
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
Possibly removing some effects with skipdraw (values from 1-10) and increasing resolution you get a better experience. Often effects like fire or sparkling are hard to emulate. If you remove them you can achieve higher resolutions - at the same time loose effects that might be necessary for the experience.
Use DX9 and disable Alpha Correction (FBA)...I got nice speed boost doing that(not that I need it Tongue))

There isn't much difference between 2x and above but man,the difference between native and 2x on 1920x1080 screen is just amazing.
Edit:Btw at native,the texture filtering makes the game really blurry.
(08-10-2015, 05:44 PM)jesalvein Wrote: DQ8 is basically GPU taxing.
since your GPu is a bit on the low side, it's not surprising.
I guess you won't be able to push higher than 2x native if you want to avoid slowdowns

I was a bit afraid of that, but oh well. My laptop is a few years old now so there's no getting around it. I'd be fine with 2x but even that's a bit choppy right now, especially the sound.

(08-10-2015, 06:17 PM)willkuer Wrote: Possibly removing some effects with skipdraw (values from 1-10) and increasing resolution you get a better experience. Often effects like fire or sparkling are hard to emulate. If you remove them you can achieve higher resolutions - at the same time loose effects that might be necessary for the experience.

This does seem to help a little bit, thanks.

(08-10-2015, 06:58 PM)vsub Wrote: Use DX9 and disable Alpha Correction (FBA)...I got nice speed boost doing that(not that I need it Tongue))

There isn't much difference between 2x and above but man,the difference between native and 2x on 1920x1080 screen is just amazing.
Edit:Btw at native,the texture filtering makes the game really blurry.

Disabling Alpha Correction seemed to help out quite a fair bit. I'm a bit embarrassed to say I'm not sure what DX9 is though. I looked around various options but never saw anything for that. 

That blurring on native res is really what's killing it for me right now, and why I at least want to get 2x to run smooth enough.
You can't disable it in any other mode so you are already using DX9(Direct3D9 (Hardware) if you need the full name)
Ah ok, yeah I recognize the full name now.

Thanks for the help, I'm going to continue to mess with it and hopefully I can get it to 2x. These things have helped a great deal so I'm pretty close now.

EDIT: Alright, I think I'm good to go now. I forgot my NVIDIA setting was to max quality, but when I switched it to balanced everything started going much faster without really sacrificing too much. Now I'm able to run 2x really smooth audio and video wise.
Smooth audio is possible even below full speed using async mix as synchronization mode in spu2-x plugin settings.
Even when running full speed the audio on timestretch may sound funky because of the slightly fps fluctuations that happens even when the game is running full speed so I just leave it set to async myself because of that.