Dragon Quest VIII - text/menu artifacts
Hi everyone -

I'm having a minor issue playing DQ8, and was hoping someone else already found a fix for it. Sorry if this has already been asked/answered, but I've searched through the forums for a while now and have't been able to find the right thread to resolve it.

DQ8 runs great and looks fantastic on my gaming laptop (specs below), the only issue I'm having is that the text boxes that pop-up have small "artifacts" in them. Not sure what else to call them but artifacts. Basically the white and blue text boxes aren't crisp and seem to have some underlying shadows of characters there (like periods or exclamation points). Also the menu screen (the one with the tabs for Items. Magic, etc.) shows some small black lines between some of the HP/MP values, and a wavy yellow line appears at the top of the menu when I am selecting which tab to look at.

These are very minor issues and won't keep me from playing the game, but I'd like to know if I can clean them up somehow.

Here is the PCSX2 config I currently have (default settings except where noted):

PCSX2 1.0.0 r5350
All speedhacks enabled except fast CDVD
GTSX plug-in
- Renderer: DirectX3D11 hardware
- Interlacing: Auto
- Resolution: 2x Native
- Texture filtering: grayed
- Allow 8-bit textures: yes
- Enable HW Hacks: yes
- Skipdraw: 1

Here's my gaming laptop specs:
- ASUS G74Sx
- Intel Core [email protected]
- 16GB RAM
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M 2GB RAM

Any suggestions? Need any more info from me on my configuration or laptop?

Thanks in advance for the guidance!

Sponsored links

In the GSdx hacks section you can try the Wild Arms Offset hack option.
It should fix the text issues but it introduces different glitches, especially the HP and magic bars will be wrong.
To fix all problems, you'll have to run the game in native resolution. Sorry.
(10-30-2012, 08:51 PM)rama Wrote: In the GSdx hacks section you can try the Wild Arms Offset hack option.
It should fix the text issues but it introduces different glitches, especially the HP and magic bars will be wrong.
To fix all problems, you'll have to run the game in native resolution. Sorry.

Thanks Rama. It does react exactly as you said. I'll have to decide whether to live with the artifacts or give up the great resolution and go native.

Just curious. I've obviously seen videos posted on You Tube showing DQ8 running at 1080p resolution and clear text boxes. Should I assume they are just running on a better PC than what I have? I guess I'm just surprised that 2x Native works great on the environment graphics, but won't convert the text properly.

Anyway, thanks again for the response!
Its not the PC but some setting... the artifacts appears because the letters are hardcoded into position and stretching causing issues. Not sure why the 1080p video wouldn't have these issues...